The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Another "DAW suggestions" request

After a number of false starts I’m finally ready to learn to record some simple stuff. I’d appreciate your thoughts on where to invest time and maybe some money on a DAW. I looked at reviews on line and I went through threads here, but much of the discussion is about capabilities I don't care about.

I have limited requirements:

record a scratch track
replace it with individually recorded instrument and vocal tracks
edit and merge

I don’t ever see myself using MIDI or externally sourced material
I’m not likely to post anything anywhere, but I might make it available to a friend or two

I have a MacBook and an iPad, and would prefer to record directly to the Mac

I have the following software, but haven’t used any of it, so I’m starting from scratch:

StudioOne 3 (mac)
Garageband (iPad and mac)
Auria (iPad)

StudioOne requires an upgrade for $49
Auria works only on the iPad - no mac version
Garageband gets REALLY negative reviews, but it’s free to me
Reaper gets good reactions, but all I know of it is the name

I’m inclined to believe the Garageband reviews and just go for the upgrade of StudioOne. Anything else I should really consider for my simple requirements at a price of $0 - $100?

Thanks for any observations.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

What limitations does Studio One 3 put on you as compared to the full version?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-10-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
What limitations does Studio One 3 put on you as compared to the full version?
I agree. If the OP already has any version of studio one on his mac, he can do pretty much anything he wants to.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM

I like the latest version of garageband. It's a stripped down version of Logic Pro, but has plenty of great features.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I agree. If the OP already has any version of studio one on his mac, he can do pretty much anything he wants to.
I'm just wondering if any of the limitations are going to cause him to spend more money on top of the $50. I get that people initially want to minimize their investment but if the money spent doesn't get the person where they want to go (and sometimes they don't really know where that is when this is all new to them), then you wind up spending more money had the person not bought the better product from the beginning.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 PM

Reaper has all the capability you'd ever want, and you can use it free for 60 days. Even after that, it's only $60. And, tbh, you can use it free indefinitely (no limitations) as "nagware", so even if you haven't decided in 60 days, you can keep using it.

Reaper is just as good as any of the other "top name" DAWs, and certainly cheaper to experiment with.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks for the comments

Studio one 3 needs an upgrade after my OS upgrade to Catalina I believe. I assume the old one doesn’t support 64 bit. Studio one 4 has no specific features I need as my requirements are quite limited.

I would be willing to spend more to get what I need, but when I look at the professional grade DAWs the upgrades seem to be more about sampling and add ons and mastering and production. None of which I need. 8 tracks would be a lot for me, and this is just for my amusement.

Regarding garage band, I’m spooked by the type of negative reviews it gets. It’s not about functionality, it seems to be more about process failures, lost material, inability to get to older tracks, etc. I’m willing to pay a bit to avoid glitches that would cause me to give up on the idea again.

Hearing from someone using the current version of garage band on the latest OS version without major glitches would be great.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:57 PM

For what you're saying you'd like to do, Garage Band is more than good enough. It's relative easy to learn, has more capability than what you require and - well what else is there? I can understand why it got negative reviews because of the fact that it's a very basic DAW. But you don't need anymore than that.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
Studio one 3 needs an upgrade after my OS upgrade to Catalina I believe. I assume the old one doesn’t support 64 bit. Studio one 4 has no specific features I need as my requirements are quite limited.

I would be willing to spend more to get what I need, but when I look at the professional grade DAWs the upgrades seem to be more about sampling and add ons and mastering and production. None of which I need. 8 tracks would be a lot for me, and this is just for my amusement.

Regarding garage band, I’m spooked by the type of negative reviews it gets. It’s not about functionality, it seems to be more about process failures, lost material, inability to get to older tracks, etc. I’m willing to pay a bit to avoid glitches that would cause me to give up on the idea again.

Hearing from someone using the current version of garage band on the latest OS version without major glitches would be great.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.
I'm running garageband on Mojave OS 10.14.6. I've never encountered any of those problems that you've alluded to. However, the latest Apple OS is Catalina, which has well documented issues involving its inability to run 32 bit programs. Most of the 3rd party plugins that I find very useful in garageband would not work with Catalina, as a consequence I've stayed with Mojave and have been glitch-free.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-10-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm just wondering if any of the limitations are going to cause him to spend more money on top of the $50. I get that people initially want to minimize their investment but if the money spent doesn't get the person where they want to go (and sometimes they don't really know where that is when this is all new to them), then you wind up spending more money had the person not bought the better product from the beginning.
Ok. I guess I misunderstood something then. I didn’t realize that his version of studio one wouldn’t work because of an operating system upgrade.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:44 AM

Garageband is a wonderful program that gives you everything you need, and heaps more, to achieve what you describe.

Yes, it's basically a 'lite' version of Logic but that didn't stop Gotye recording his 'Somebody I used to Know' and the rest of that album in Garageband on a Macbook pro.

I teach Protools and use it every day. It is extremely sophisticated and powerful but the bulk of what most PT users need to do can be done in Garageband.

Steve
Old 01-11-2020, 07:55 AM

Don't sell Garage Band too short. Go on Youtube and do a search on how to use it. You'd be surprised what it can do, especially for a free program...
Old 01-11-2020, 08:04 AM

Perhaps some of the bad rap for Garageband is aimed at the iOS version, not the OS-X version. They are quite different products.

I would have thought that the OS-X version of Garageband would be more than enough for the OP for now.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I've got what I think is the latest version of GB on my ancient MBP and it opens old projects and creates new ones w/o problems. However, it seems more resource intensive than the older versions, but in some ways it always has been because it automatically applies plugins for certain things, and does not have the ability to do your own routing, e.g., to put things like reverb on an aux track, etc. It does do some of these things "under the covers" which become apparent if you import a GB project into Logic Pro X.

Never had any of those issues you mention, but I have been using Logic Pro X for a few years, and only resort to GB to check things (like this thread). I don't have it installed on the (2012) Mini where I do my mixing these days.

But, with all that, it can do exactly what you want, and probably get you to a more finished sounding result quicker than starting from scratch.

I haven't used anything except GB and Logic, and Audacity at the very beginning (and still for audio file quick edits). Any DAW comes with its plusses and minuses. Reaper has a large user community, is affordable and can be used without cost (some limitations, perhaps - never tried it). You might as well give it a try, same as with Studio One and GB. Give all of them a try to accomplish what you want and see which suits you. Then, spend time really learning how to use it.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the help. I now have the latest versions of Garageband and Reaper and I'll see how far I can get with StudioOne 3 on Catalina before it breaks.

I guess it's time to stop admiring this problem and actually try them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD