The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-14-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I've been on the hunt for more 100 yr old+ woods to expand my selection for the Woodsman model. I just came across a number of 150 yr old+ salvaged Mahogany back and side sets that originated in the Central American country of Belize:

They are very hard sets with nice character and ring. I'm looking forward to making guitars with these!
We'll look forward to that thread. That set looks great and good to know that you ear agrees.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-14-2018, 02:10 PM

This thread is looking better and better, can’t wait to see the finished instrument
Old 11-14-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Oh my, that pair sure will make a fine looking guitar!
Old 11-14-2018, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
We'll look forward to that thread. That set looks great and good to know that you ear agrees.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne! Hopefully, you won’t need to wait too long, I really am enjoying making this guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post
This thread is looking better and better, can’t wait to see the finished instrument
It won’t be long. I’m away on vacation next week but, it will finish up pretty quickly after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Oh my, that pair sure will make a fine looking guitar!
I really think this is a great combination too. On several levels: looks, sound, and age.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Setting up the back

Here I am shaping and cleaning up the back ladder braces:

The back is being glued on:

Tomorrow I'll do the top and close up the box.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Here I am shaping and cleaning up the back ladder braces:

This has got to be the messiest photo I ever seen you present!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
This has got to be the messiest photo I ever seen you present!!!
I normally rail against this whole idea of the dusty old man working in his dusty old shop. However, if I’m going to get in to this whole vintage influenced guitar project I feel it’s only right that I embrace my inner Geppetto!

Old 11-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I normally rail against this whole idea of the dusty old man working in his dusty old shop. However, if I’m going to get in to this whole vintage influenced guitar project I feel it’s only right that I embrace my inner Geppetto!
Honestly, it's good to see you're not this mythical god-like person who doesn't make a mess!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Red face So I had this thought

When I was putting my plans together for this guitar one thing I didn’t mention was how I am pricing this model. Part of the idea of building this minimalistic vintage style guitar is that I am making a great sounding, well built instrument with mostly over 100 yr old select woods and will be selling it finished at my base price.
I am having a lot of fun reasearching and putting this guitar together and I have a lot yet to come. My original intentions were to go through this build thread and then have kind of a reveal and say, “and you get all this at my base price!”
I was thinking this morning if I was following this build thread with somebody going through all the stuff they we’re doing with their new model and in the end they announced, “all this at my base price” I’m afraid my reaction might be,
“Well, I guess that didn’t come out so well!”
So before I finish this guitar I’m telling you now this is a high character, vintage style guitar, with woods you’d normally pay a premium for, at my base price.
Oh, and it’s coming out great!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:26 AM

I was wondering if that wasn't your original intent, but thought maybe you were leaving yourself some wiggle room in case you couldn't resist the urge to beautify. This is already a whole lot of added value for the price, and a whole lot of beauty!

As far as your inner Geppetto goes, I doubt that messy old man would have such beautiful, pristine tools, or would take such artistic photos of the process. I love that about your work, Mark - you take time and care, so nothing looks generic: everything is art. Bravo!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Mark, this is shaping up beautifully! I'm kind of surprised it isn't presold at this point. You've got plenty of fans, and your excitement about this build is so evident. I can only imagine how nice this guitar is going to feel, look and sound.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I was wondering if that wasn't your original intent, but thought maybe you were leaving yourself some wiggle room in case you couldn't resist the urge to beautify. This is already a whole lot of added value for the price, and a whole lot of beauty!

As far as your inner Geppetto goes, I doubt that messy old man would have such beautiful, pristine tools, or would take such artistic photos of the process. I love that about your work, Mark - you take time and care, so nothing looks generic: everything is art. Bravo!
Thank you SJ VanSandt. You would laugh at me if you saw how long I spent trying to lay those tools out in a “casual” manner for that messy picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Mark, this is shaping up beautifully! I'm kind of surprised it isn't presold at this point. You've got plenty of fans, and your excitement about this build is so evident. I can only imagine how nice this guitar is going to feel, look and sound.
Thanks Mike, I suppose the being a new model folks want to see it finished first but, certainly if someone wants to buy it right off I wouldn’t say no!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default The back is on

Here is a picture showing the joined back and sides. I hit it with a wipe of Naptha to show the color on this old Eastern Black Walnut:

Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Mark. When you say it should just "shake in your hands" you are speaking my language!

I'm just getting ready to celebrate one year with the amazing Lullaby Guitar, and it keeps getting better. Now this 00 has me thinking about what's next and, of course, how both of my daughters need their own special heirloom guitar. I couldn't have them fighting over just the one...

Circa - Claxton - Furch - Goodall - Hatcher - Kopp - Martin - McIlroy - McPherson - Merrill - Santa Cruz - Taylor - Urlacher
Old 11-16-2018, 04:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPicker View Post
Wow, Mark. When you say it should just "shake in your hands" you are speaking my language!

I'm just getting ready to celebrate one year with the amazing Lullaby Guitar, and it keeps getting better. Now this 00 has me thinking about what's next and, of course, how both of my daughters need their own special heirloom guitar. I couldn't have them fighting over just the one...
Glad you're following along on this one and thanks for commenting. You're right, it's not right that those poor girls need to fight over just one. If I can help in anyway just let me know!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop