The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-16-2020, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Nail coverings for fingerstyle

Hey Guys - I mostly play classical but I like to do it on steel string instruments. I figure I would ask this question here as I’m sure no one on the main forum has dealt with my concern.

My selection of instruments give me the dark woody sound that gives me a tone darker than most steel string instruments. And I play on the pads of my fingers to give the richest sound possible. My issue is I have to trim my nails much shorter than I ever have to avoid any hint of nail striking the strings and I’m immediately reminded if I go much beyond 5-6 days with the metallic sound slowly creeping in. I know many fingerstyle players use acrylic nails and I’m asking are there any products that do the opposite - covering your nails!

For example, these do look rather silly, but this is in the ballpark of what I had in mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Acu-Life-Rubb.../dp/B001T8UD4U

Are these [or something more reasonable in appearance] at all reasonable for eliminating nail sounds when playing fingerstyle?
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-16-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

These two products are more for protection than shielding sound from nail contact, but they might work if they are not too thick in the pad area:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...SABEgInhPD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/i/383303125724?...yABEgLSg_D_BwE
Old 05-17-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks - those did look intriguing which would seem fine for the fretting hand (I don’t need as my calluses are fairly firm) but like you I wonder if these would be too thick without hitting unwanted strings.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-17-2020, 03:59 PM

Creating a beautiful and full tone is a challenge to all acoustic guitarists. Would those covers achieve that? I would go for trimming your nails every couple of days if you don't want the nail clipping the string. I play both classical and steel string and find that nails give me the broadest range of tones possible.

Jonny

Last edited by jonnymosco; 05-17-2020 at 04:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical