The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD:Taylor 327e

I'd done an NGD but buried it in another thread I'd started about 327s so I thought I'd give it its own NGD and more breathing room. Several months ago I set out to sell all of Taylors and go 100% carbon fiber. Well, that only lasted a couple of minutes. When the Grand Pacifics came out, I was somewhat fascinated but the initial MEH from many folks concerned me so I began in the shallow end of the pool with a 317. Referring to the shallow end is based on the 317 being the least expensive Grand Pacific and the fact that I swim several days a week.

It may have been because in my head I was transitioning away from wooden guitars, or so I told myself at the time; but the 317 and I just didn't mesh. I still liked the GP concept as well as the few 517 and 717s that I tried out. I had said two things that Taylor should have heeded. 1) The Grand Pacifics should be marketed as a new body shape and not as slope shouldered dreads. I think that initially many folks were turned off because they expected a boomy vintage Martin dread sound. 2) Taylor should have kicked off the Grand Pacific series with a 327 in the lineup. I really like the 32Xs, and I thought that a 327 would be killer.

I assumed that Taylor would soon follow up with a 327 - don't ask me how knew; I just knew. And so recently the folks from El Cajon released the 327 with little to no fanfare. As far as I know, they merely slipped it onto their website and placed a full page picture on the back page of the most recent Wood & Steel.

Small numbers of 327s began to trickle into the marketplace, and I began to take notice. I bookmarked some internet pages and put others on Ebay and Reverb watch lists. Trying one out didn't seem to be an option, but my experience with my previous 324 and 320 convinced me that the 327 was sure to be right on the money. Based on actual online pictures (as opposed to stock pictures), I saw some with striped tops and some with no stripes or runout. The latter was my visual of choice so I zeroed in.

Well, last week I got an email from Eddies Guitars whose website had one of the chosen 327s. They were having a one-day 20% off sale so I jumped on it. My 327 arrived several days later, and I really couldn't be more pleased. Everything my 317 wasn't, the 327 is. It's got a warm, robust tone with wonderful balance and sustain. It sounds terrific both unplugged and coming through my Loudbox Mini Charge. I've seen some complaints about the ES2 system, but I suppose I don't know enough to be disappointed - it has plenty of oomph and sounds just fine to me.

I bought my 327e for a finger style blues box with a big voice, and it handles those tasks with aplomb. It also strums really well. However, the more I looked at the very thin black pickguard, the more I thought it resembled the electrical tape forming Groucho Marx's mustache and eyebrows so I removed it - the pickguard, not the ersatz facial hair of the late Groucho. All in all, I couldn't be more pleased; and now, more than ever believe that the 327 is definitely the Grand Pacific that should have been in the starting GP lineup.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Congratulations and welcome back to Taylor. It looks great!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-17-2019, 01:52 PM

Gorgeous. Congrats.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Congrats, RP...on a beautiful guitar and the wisdom to remove that ugly pickguard. I quickly removed the guard on my 317, too.

Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM

nice one

Mahogany topped guitars are starting to get some real love in the market place. Reminds me of cedar without the brittleness and has more headroom while being very responsive.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
...Mahogany topped guitars are starting to get some real love in the market place...
Thanks to all. I think the 32X Taylors are confusing to those used to disliking this brand because they're too bright (the guitars, not the folks who continue to parrot those words)...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Nice I want one!
Old 12-17-2019, 02:44 PM

In my mind the Grand Pacific models are Taylor's best. They seem to have it all. And I like the look without the pickguard. Hope this one serves you for years to come.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Looks even better without the pickguard!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Man, if I didn’t have bad shoulders....what a wonderful guitar!
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for everyones' kind words. I'm actually a fan of pickguards in general and even put them on my Rainsongs. However, this 327 was going to be primarily a finger style guitar with a big mouth; and the more I looked at the guitar with the pickguard, the more I realized the pickguard had to go. I'm really not a fan of the all black look of the headstock and am considering getting some open back tuners to keep the vintage vibe and lighten things visually and weight-wise...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Great decision to pull the pick guard. Looks awesome!! I pull all mine off with or without tan line.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:28 PM

Really nice, and yes it looks better without the pickguard.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncbandit View Post
Great decision to pull the pick guard. Looks awesome!! I pull all mine off with or without tan line.
It came off very easily with a hair dryer and dental floss...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

mighty fine looking guitar RP. the lack of the pickguard ups the vibe totally. the one video I listened to on this model(musicvilla) impressed me more than any of the other v-brace models I've heard. course I tend to linger nowadays with all hog top taylors.

very impressive looks overall, they got it right on this one

enjoy
d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion