The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-28-2020, 01:01 AM

This video is really not a very good representation of the instruments sound. There are other reviews that do a much better job capturing the balance of the Sable. These two come to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYgpVO8_ic&t=255s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88NYvE1U2WI

Again, I watched them ALL...
Old 05-28-2020, 05:55 AM

I listened to it last night with studio monitors. I hear warmth and chime but I also hear something else that doesn't belong. Could be the mic positioning, recording or something else. My Sable is warm sounding even with 80/20 bronze strings.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

The review would have been much more informative and useful (to me) if he’d actually played something interesting. I find it difficult to assess an instrument’s capabilities when it’s played mostly in a style (heavy strumming) that I never use myself.

I’m very much looking forward to being able to try Tony’s (tbeltrans) McPhersons in person one of these days.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
The review would have been much more informative and useful (to me) if he’d actually played something interesting. I find it difficult to assess an instrument’s capabilities when it’s played mostly in a style (heavy strumming) that I never use myself.

I’m very much looking forward to being able to try Tony’s (tbeltrans) McPhersons in person one of these days.
...and it will happen.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Looking forward to the outcome. The true test for any guitar is to play it side by side with another.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Looking forward to the outcome. The true test for any guitar is to play it side by side with another.
I suspect the most likely outcome is that we both decide that both Emerald and McPherson make great guitars and it really comes down to personal preference. If it is anything else, one of us will be truly unhappy.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I suspect the most likely outcome is that we both decide that both Emerald and McPherson make great guitars and it really comes down to personal preference. If it is anything else, one of us will be truly unhappy.

Tony
Yeah I suspect that will be the conclusion as well. I do prefer the tone and playability of the Sable but its not a landslide victory. They're both great guitars and I'm happy to own both. I said in the other thread that I might consider selling the X20 but that's definitely not happening now after I put some more thought into it.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yeah I suspect that will be the conclusion as well. I do prefer the tone and playability of the Sable but its not a landslide victory. They're both great guitars and I'm happy to own both. I said in the other thread that I might consider selling the X20 but that's definitely not happening now after I put some more thought into it.
I can understand that. If they don't sound similar, then you have a nice diversity. I still have my wood guitars, and when I do take one out to play, it is so different from my carbon fiber instruments, that I realize there is definitely room for both types. It is a good diversity. I think that might be a good way to stave off GAS - pull out a guitar you don't play very often and enjoy it all as new.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber