The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Default Yamaha CG142S

Wondering if anyone here owns or has played the Yamaha CG142 Spruce. I am thinking of buying a nylon string guitar, and this is one of the guitars I am considering. I would be ordering it sight unseen, though. I am looking for something under 400 canuck bucks. There is not a great selection in my area. Another guitar I am interested in that is available at a music store a little ways away from here is an Almansa 401. I have read some great reviews of these guitars, and this is one I would be able to try before I buy, but I've noticed some reviewers online saying they can be hit and miss at the entry level and do not have the QC Yamaha has. I don't have a good eye for guitar issues, so that kind of makes Yamaha an appealing option for me. Anyways, any input would be much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM

Are you a beginner?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Are you a beginner?
At guitar, no. But this would be my first nylon string guitar. I have messed around with playing classical on a steel string, and I do a lot of fingerpicking. I am not planning on becoming a great classical guitar player, but I would like to have something to learn some classical pieces, and also to have a nylon string guitar for my own compositions.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 PM

OK I don't know how good you are or what guitars you play but I think that the guitar you will buy should be close in quality with the guitar you own. That's my "philosophy"

I don't know the guitar you mention.

ps a 400$ is a good price for a beginner guitar but if you play a 3k$ steel guitar then you should consider a better nylon guitar.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM

Go with a Cordoba C5 or C7 before the Yamaha IMO. I have played many and the Cordobas are superior in every way.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Got my classical. Thanks Guys!

Thanks Paikon and Hillster for your advice. I have read a lot of good things about Cordoba guitars. I would have loved to try one out. Unfortunately, I don't know any dealer within a few hundred miles who carries them. The selection is just not great in my neck of the woods. However, I was in the city yesterday (I'm a bumpkin) and I was able to play the Yammy and the Almansa 401, as well as a couple Taks and La Patrie models. I walked out with the Almansa 401, and thus far I am very happy with the purchase. It has a solid cedar top with laminated mahogany back/sides. An all-solid La Patrie concert cost only a little more money, but I was more impressed with the tone of the Almansa, which seemed to have the best projection of all the guitars there.

As an added bonus, I found a used Epi Masterbilt AJ500RNS in excellent condition and came home with that as well. Two guitars, spent roughly 500.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:18 PM

Congrats on the new guitar. You did good. The almansa is a very good classical and I own and love the LaPatrie classicals (Concert model bought in 2002).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical