The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2002, 01:31 PM

Dude,

it's a *Martin*! are you crazy!? get the Martin! that's like, the holy grail of acoustic guitars!! like, even with the top problem -- who cares? it says "Martin" on the headstock so it must be awesome.

the choice is clear. get the Goodall - what Ryan picked out from your post is very convincing.

Allan
(who wants an HD-28 )
Old 08-06-2002, 08:53 PM

Martin Schmartin. Get the Goodall.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:30 AM

The Goodall is a great guitar so dont get me wrong and I wouldnt buy the martin knowing it already has top problems. The finsh checking I wouldnt worry about but any lifting of the top I would worry. I imagine for about the same money as the used goodall (or less) will get you a new HD-28. ANd if you like that big thumping bass nothing else will give you a Martin sound Like a martin HD-28. Like Bob Taylor I have respect for all great guitars and Im not going to bash martin just because I like the way a Taylor sounds better. For my style of Play the taylor is more my style although Im a big fan of the HD-28. Now Taylor is about to introduce their new dreads that will have that Taylor sound plus a bass that bob says "Will blow you away" I cant wait to play one of these so it may be worth the wait just to see. If Bob Taylor tells you the sound will blow you away Im sure there is something to it. From past experiance in the few years ive been playing taylors I havent seen any false hype. If Bob can make a neck as good as the NT, inotation better than any other guitar and a neck that has playability better than any acoustic Ive ever had in my hands, that when Im told the sound will be great I expect it. Whatever you chose wheather it be the martin, goodall or taylor make sure its what you want, what rings your bell. JW
Old 08-07-2002, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JW
Whatever you chose wheather it be the martin, goodall or taylor make sure its what you want, what rings your bell. JW
JW, my Taylors, my Martin (D-18) and my Gallagher all ring my bells. I have lots of bells. And they love to be rung. [smileyface]

I'm going to pass on the particular HD-28 I found because of the bowing top. I'll probably buy the Goodall RS soon. I'll probably buy an HD-28 or HD-28V some time down the road. I'll probably buy a new Taylor dreadnought even farther down the road. I also will "need" to have a Taylor 615 or K15 (or both) at some point. I'll probably need to move the furniture out of my study so there's more room for guitars. Then the guest bedroom will need to be without a bed. Then . . . .

As to the "new vintage" Taylor dreadnought, I'm sure the bass will boom, but I doubt it will sound the same as a HD-28. There is more to that characteristic "THUNK" than loudness.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 08-07-2002, 07:30 PM

Sounds like you have the plan down! JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification