The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Anyone fitted a JJB 330 or 220 pickup in a Baby Taylor?

I’ve got a used Baby Taylor on the way and I’m going to put a SBT pickup in. The obvious choice is JJB given the price point and a K&K plus the install in the UK will be 75% of what I paid for the guitar!

Just wondering if people have fitted either the 220 or the 15mm 330 pickup to their Baby or similar size like the little Martin? Just trying to decide whether to go 2 piezo or 3 piezo...

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I’ve got a used Baby Taylor on the way and I’m going to put a SBT pickup in. The obvious choice is JJB given the price point and a K&K plus the install in the UK will be 75% of what I paid for the guitar!

Just wondering if people have fitted either the 220 or the 15mm 330 pickup to their Baby or similar size like the little Martin? Just trying to decide whether to go 2 piezo or 3 piezo...
Hi Nick

With any guitar with a smaller-than-normal bridge plate, one needs to measure the bridge plate area for the sensors directly under the saddle to see if they will fit in the allotted space.

I know the full-sized K&K Pure Western (14mm) would not have fit my OM, but the 12.5mm K&K Pure Mini did...

It might require dropping to the 2 sensor version - which will not produce equal results as a 3 sensor pickup array.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Nick

With any guitar with a smaller-than-normal bridge plate, one needs to measure the bridge plate area for the sensors directly under the saddle to see if they will fit in the allotted space.

I know the full-sized K&K Pure Western (14mm) would not have fit my OM, but the 12.5mm K&K Pure Mini did...

It might require dropping to the 2 sensor version - which will not produce equal results as a 3 sensor pickup array.

Thanks Larry,

I did contact Jessie Vallad at JJB and he has said the 330 15mm will fit and they are a popular choice for the baby. Would be nice to hear from anyone who has had one installed.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification