The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-10-2018, 03:54 PM

Default X10 Individual Saddles Effect on Acoustic Tone

We're stuck in speculation mode until the new Emeralds are out in the wild. Hope they get there soon.

I have an X7 with pickup, but play only acoustically. To put it mildly, I'm intrigued with the new X10. The individually adjusted saddles on the X10 would also benefit the acoustic player if they don't degrade acoustic tone. They seem to naturally center the string in the saddle and allow individual string action adjustment. Does anyone have experience with other acoustic guitars using these GraphTech saddles?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:44 PM

I have no experience with the saddles. I’m taking it on faith that the acoustic properties will be on par with the X7 and X20.

I wanted a guitar that would work both as my acoustic, and occasional electric blues guitar. So I ordered the level 2 pickup system. As I am an old guy, and have a smaller frame, so I ordered a 24.6” scale. Allister says that will join at the 13th fret, and keep the bridge in the same spot.

Now I just have to wait and see if it meets my expectations. 6 weeks out for the build.

Hopefully others will get the standard models soon, and we will have some acoustic only sound bytes.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I have no experience with the saddles. I’m taking it on faith that the acoustic properties will be on par with the X7 and X20.

I wanted a guitar that would work both as my acoustic, and occasional electric blues guitar. So I ordered the level 2 pickup system. As I am an old guy, and have a smaller frame, so I ordered a 24.6” scale. Allister says that will join at the 13th fret, and keep the bridge in the same spot.

Now I just have to wait and see if it meets my expectations. 6 weeks out for the build.

Hopefully others will get the standard models soon, and we will have some acoustic only sound bytes.
That sounds like what I'm interested in, as well. 6 weeks isn't bad. Congrats on getting on this right away! I think there will a lot of folks looking for a review on the X10.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wanted a guitar that would work both as my acoustic, and occasional electric blues guitar.
Pine, I am curioius how you would set up strings to accommodate both acoustic and electric style playing.

I have thought about the new X10, but already have a GX which has a thin Strat-like neck and smooth no heel neck join, theoretically similar to the new X10. It's set up (perfectly) with 12 gauge strings. The 12s play great, but not like an electric. Lighter strings buzz and degrade the acoustic sound.

For electric style playing, I have a Strat with 10s and I am wondering how you would have one guitar that does both? At the same time? Or do you need to set it up for one function or the other? Then you are back to having 2 guitars and might as well have ones that are dedicated to the specific task?

Anyway, interesting idea on the "all purpose guitar" and I look forward to some real world reviews.
FYI to anyone looking at the Hexpander "MIDI" option, according to Graph Tech support, it doesn't really do MIDI and you can't just plug it into a midi audio interface. You need to hook it up to a Roland GR55 pitch to midi converter which costs around $700. They didn't give me any other alternatives.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=Strumalot;5753911]Pine, I am curioius how you would set up strings to accommodate both acoustic and electric style playing.

Anyway, interesting idea on the "all purpose guitar" and I look forward to some real world reviews.

I think of the Taylor T5 when I see that question, it seems to do both pretty well.
This X10 does look interesting...
Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
That sounds like what I'm interested in, as well. 6 weeks isn't bad. Congrats on getting on this right away! I think there will a lot of folks looking for a review on the X10.
I had an X7 as my main player for a year or so. I found the frets a bit tight when capo’d up. The X20 I was worried would bother my shoulders with it’s larger body size. So I’m hoping the X10 with a shorter scale will be “just right”. I really liked the body shape of the X7, so I’m expecting to feel the same about the X10.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Pine, I am curioius how you would set up strings to accommodate both acoustic and electric style playing.

I have thought about the new X10, but already have a GX which has a thin Strat-like neck and smooth no heel neck join, theoretically similar to the new X10. It's set up (perfectly) with 12 gauge strings. The 12s play great, but not like an electric. Lighter strings buzz and degrade the acoustic sound.

For electric style playing, I have a Strat with 10s and I am wondering how you would have one guitar that does both? At the same time? Or do you need to set it up for one function or the other? Then you are back to having 2 guitars and might as well have ones that are dedicated to the specific task?

SNIP
Strum, if you heard my playing, you would understand. I’m not skilled enough to use different techniques on different guitar types. I expect the X10 to sound great acoustically, and will be more than “good enough” for me as an electric.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Strum, if you heard my playing, you would understand. I’m not skilled enough to use different techniques on different guitar types. I expect the X10 to sound great acoustically, and will be more than “good enough” for me as an electric.
Pine, I think you will see your playing rapidly improving with the new X10 (all that extra practice because you can't put it down!). I have an old one. It's a great size, and my only complaints would be the wider neck and the neck join... "fixed" on the new model.

I will still be curious about the how the duel use works out and the strings you are using.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
We're stuck in speculation mode until the new Emeralds are out in the wild. Hope they get there soon.

I have an X7 with pickup, but play only acoustically. To put it mildly, I'm intrigued with the new X10. The individually adjusted saddles on the X10 would also benefit the acoustic player if they don't degrade acoustic tone. They seem to naturally center the string in the saddle and allow individual string action adjustment. Does anyone have experience with other acoustic guitars using these GraphTech saddles?
Hey Jim. Is the Graphtech saddle one you can swap out with a bone one? I couldn’t tell on their web site. I was assuming the pickups are tightly integrated with the mechanism.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I will still be curious about the how the duel use works out and the strings you are using.
I think for duelling use carbon fibre is an excellent choice sir !

See you at dawn.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Pine, I think you will see your playing rapidly improving with the new X10 (all that extra practice because you can't put it down!). I have an old one. It's a great size, and my only complaints would be the wider neck and the neck join... "fixed" on the new model.
That phrase has never been associated with my playing...

Quote:
I have settled on Heritage 12’s on my Lucky 13. They sound decent, last well, and have lower tension my arthritic fingers prefer. I’ll probably start there with the new X10.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I think for duelling use carbon fibre is an excellent choice sir !

See you at dawn.
LJ, I think most/all who have had the misfortune to have heard me play would consider my guitar more akin to “weapon” than “musical instrument”. Mr. Strum was just insensitive to have pointed it out. (Slinking off to play my Yamaha Silent guitar)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Lies! I started a "4 week" wait several weeks ago and am in agony with the anticipation.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:32 AM

I don't know if the individual saddle elements will affect tone either way. I suspect not, and I trust that Emerald did their homework first before choosing this option. Many don't remember but LR Baggs still sells a six-element pickup system called the LB6. There are six individual elements cast into a single saddle. DTAR also has / had something similar. Takamine has used a two-piece saddle system for many years for better intonation.

I've never heard anyone complaining about the acoustic tone suffering. I do know of a classical player who sliced the saddle and wired each element separately into a six pre-amps to use certain strings as MIDI triggers for experimental pieces.
https://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/lb6-...-guitar-pickup

Swapping out saddles many be problematic - there likely are six separate wires underneath. I'm one who doesn't generally do that, unless a repair is needed (worn saddle grooves). But I understand the allure of "tweaking" the sound.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Hey Jim. Is the Graphtech saddle one you can swap out with a bone one? I couldn’t tell on their web site. I was assuming the pickups are tightly integrated with the mechanism.
Pine,

I would think not -- you can see in the emerald X10 photos that the Graphtech saddle takes up a lot more space in the bridge than a bone saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber