The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:52 AM

Default New Emerald models up on web site

I just saw that Emerald has launched some promised new models on their web site - X10 and X30.

The X10 has a 1-11/16" nut and 25-1/2" scale, "slim neck", 14/-3/4" lower bout, 4-3/4" depth and an interesting new pickup system. Sigh... not what I was hoping for.

The X30 is a monster - 17" lower bout, 5-3/4" lower bout, 1-3/4" nut, 25-1/2" scale.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 AM

Yeah, I was hoping for an X10 in the traditional nut width but with a shorter scale. There's no Opus model listed yet either.

By the time I add the upcharges for going back to 1-3/4" nut and a custom scale, it gets beyond my humble range.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Interesting...

Not exactly what I thought but close with the X10. The body is shorter and narrower than the X20 with the same depth. Body is slightly wider and deeper than the X7 but with the same length. Scale is the same as the X20. Narrower nut than both the X20 and X7. And then there's that custom pickup system. Way over-the-top for something I would need/want but if it's awesome then I'd be willing to give it a go.

I was hoping for something that was a fit between the X20 and X7 body-wise so I guess they did hit that. And since any guitar I ordered would need to have a customized neck then I could change over to what I wanted. 4-month lead time quoted on X10 builds for just the stock models. So at this point it's a wait and see on what the consensus is with that custom pickup system.

I didn't bother to look at the X30 since bigger than the X20 is nothing I'm interested in.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Since I've got all three spec pages up, I'd figured I'd do everyone a solid and put together some numbers for easy comparison:

X? Length Width Depth Scale Nut Spacing

X7 18" 14.25" 4.25" 24" 1.75" 2.25"

X10 18" 14.75: 4.75" 25.5" 1.6875" 2.25"

X20 19" 15.25" 4.75" 25.5" 1.75" 2.25"
Old 05-30-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
Yeah, I was hoping for an X10 in the traditional nut width but with a shorter scale. There's no Opus model listed yet either.

By the time I add the upcharges for going back to 1-3/4" nut and a custom scale, it gets beyond my humble range.
That pretty much sums it up for me as well (except I was hoping for a depth more like the X7). I saw a rumor in another thread that the Opus line is being discontinued (can't confirm that).
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 AM

looks like x7 is a redesign as well. soundhole is updated, specs appear to be very similar to x10 but with shorter scale (24") and its a 12 fretter. No fancy electronics option like the x10.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Hmmm... finnally... an improved neck join to compete with CA and the Savoy, a thin neck, MIDI output, and those very nice Gotoh 510 tuners.

Like the thin neck GX, this is a great guitar for players coming from, or jumping to and from, electric guitars. These are the improvements I would have liked on my older X10N, and to me, very good news from Emerald.

This could be a "one" guitar that does acoustic, electric, and midi work equally well.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Not a rumor, Emerald told me that the Opus is discontinued. I wouldn't post a "rumor". To be exact, they told me the X20 Opus was going away. Not sure about the other models.

Last edited by jdinco; 05-30-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Interesting premise with the X10 - I didn't expect the 1 11/16" nut width. I thought the overall size would be between the X7 and X20, including the body width and neck scale. I love the soundhole that is similar to the X20! That shape and placement really enhances the playing experience.

I was also kinda hoping (and by kinda, I mean: really) that there would be some models available for immediate purchase, as with the former Select Series. I do like that red Artisan that is on their site.

The pickup that they are showing on the website will be controversial - read through the main part of the forum and you will see plenty of people who think "the small knobs" that Taylor uses ruins the aesthetic look of their guitars (for the record, I like the immediate reach and control). Some folks will probably get all twisted with a pickup on the top, like an electric guitar... I saw that with Evan's custom X7 thin-body nylon electric - didn't bother me a bit, especially if it allows great tone. I play plugged in, and like an active pickup that allows for control at the guitar. Someone will have to explain to me what those small toggle switches on the side are all about, though.

Looking for the other 2 of the 4 models. Like Scott (Methos), the X20 is as big as I want, so the X30 (while great for those bluegrass-banjo-killer type players) isn't on my want list.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Ah, it took a little digging to find the updated X7 on Emerald's site...

Yes, that same great soundhole design/style of the X20, with a 12-fret neck.

What's the 4th guitar?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM

I've had a top secret X30 on order for 2 weeks and they gave no indication that the Opus line was going away, as I ordered an X20 and asked about whether a jumbo was in the works, and they let me upgrade from an X20 opus to an X30 and the upcharge was not the difference between opus and artisan. I'm 6'6" so I make a jumbo look normal sized
Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 AM

Also 6'-6" I'm big enough that I can easily play jumbo guitars (currently own two of them in old-fashioned wood). But the comfort of the X20 is really spoiling me. I'm not sure that it really needs to be much bigger, but someone is always after a bigger acoustic sound. Emerald's design aesthetic with the contours and bevels would make for a superior jumbo body. We're fully set already with an X7 woody, an X20, and an X20-12.

Best wishes to Emerald for the success of the new models.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM

I like the new X7 design, although still delighted with my old X7.

The new X10 looks like it might be in the sweet spot for me. I don't like the knobs and switches. From this picture it looks like without electronics you still get the individually adjusted bridges. EDIT: Looking on GraphTech website, the Ghost pickup can work with external preamp, so, level 1 without switches and knobs. Good!

Last edited by JimCA; 05-30-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Default A couple of oddities.....

The capt'n mentioned the pickup system that's a bit different, but no one has commented on the X10's adjustable bridge.

I was looking through the old and new models and comparing to what I see folks posting about here. One common thing folks ask for is a short scale X20. I've never seen anyone talk about owning or wanting a 7 string, yet they have that as a standard model. Whats up widdat? They even have a nylon X20. Mr. Kramster you may know this. Do people even play nylon nowadays????

I just asked for a quote on an X10, red, level 2 pickup, 24.6" scale, 12 fret. I'm hoping it won't be too much over the base price...
Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
The capt'n mentioned the pickup system that's a bit different, but no one has commented on the X10's adjustable bridge.

I was looking through the old and new models and comparing to what I see folks posting about here. One common thing folks ask for is a short scale X20. I've never seen anyone talk about owning or wanting a 7 string, yet they have that as a standard model. Whats up widdat? They even have a nylon X20. Mr. Kramster you may know this. Do people even play nylon nowadays????

I just asked for a quote on an X10, red, level 2 pickup, 24.6" scale, 12 fret. I'm hoping it won't be too much over the base price...
Pine, I will be interested in what you hear from Alistair. If you don't want to post it, PM me. Maybe we can get a "two at the same time" deal?
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber