The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2018, 11:28 AM

In-ears can cause further damage as well. The closer a sound source is to your ears the more energy it has. Chances are if you have hearing loss you've been monitoring louder than you think and will probably do the same with in-ears.

I have custom Sensaphonic In-ears. Sensaphonic makes a tool that lets you know if you are monitoring at a safe level but their stuff is pricey. I hear you though about the ear plugs. I have several filters and even with the 9dB filters in my custom ear plugs they can attenuate too much for a low volume gig. For loud band gigs I use 15dB filters and use a wedge. I just don't like the in-ears overall.

Etymotic does make the Music Pro active ear-plugs that can work pretty well for lower volume gigs. They have a 6dB boost for softer sounds and kick in when sound level are too loud. Not cheap but neither is losing your hearing.

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...ion/mp915.html

I think a lot of these inexpensive in-ear products are not safe and people are using them unknowingly. There is a company that sells a product for in-ears to cut down on "ear fatigue, ringing and tinnitus" the very thing that in-ears should prevent.

http://rev33.com/buy-rev33/
Old 05-31-2018, 05:51 PM

I just received a pair of Westone WM16 TRU ear plugs and will try them. Cochese, thanks and yes I agree. I have ReSound hearing aids and can control them on my iPhone. It really is a matter of getting used to them. My problem is the tinnitus which is always present. It does not always help to use the aids.
I hope some of the younger musicians learn from our mistakes and misunderstandings when it comes to hearing protection. My loss however was the result of a simple upper respiratory infection resulting in neural hearing loss that affects many people over 50.

I have used the etymotic but not the ones you sent the link to. They look exactly like what I tried to do custom molds for but they could not get a good fit. I may ultimately order those since most of the sized s,m,l plugs work for me.

Custom molds were the same price. I may try my best to stay away from the IEMs and just try protection. I play mostly at lower volumes but that tends to creep up over the night with more people coming in to busy pubs/coffee shops.

Thanks again and any other suggestions are certainly appreciated.
David
Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Yes I always encourage everyone to wear hearing protection but so many don't heed the advice until it's too late. The audiologist at our musicians union told me that the people with most hearing loss are drummers and electric guitarists.

I put new batteries and filters in my active Music-Pro ear plugs this morning had my electric guitar on and they work really well and if fitted correctly you should be able to easily sing in a lower volume situation. For me the foam filters work the best as the generic plastic ones never seem to seal right.

Good luck. Have you tried Lipo Flavonoid Plus? I find it helps.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Bluetooth headphones will definitely have too much latency for live use. Your options for monitoring with headphones are really down to:

- Wired. Many options for well-priced headphone amplifiers and you can use any style of headphones that sound good. Our practice setup is my X32 rack into an ART HeadAMP6 (basically a 1U rack that has 6 independent headphone amplifiers). Each person has their own headphones + extension cable and it works great. For live, most of my bandmates use a powered wedge. Two of us (myself included) go for the following option.

- Wireless IEMs. No question, a quality wireless IEM system works great. It's biggest downside is the higher cost (the Shure unit I got was about $800US).

Getting off of wedges is also a great way to control stage volume/feedback.

Later
Rob
Old 06-06-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post

Good luck. Have you tried Lipo Flavonoid Plus? I find it helps.

Does the Lipo Flavonoid Plus actually help? That’s just for the tinnitus right? I would love to be able to reduce the ringing, but I didn’t think you could.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:54 AM

You'd be best having your hearing checked. Ringing can be tinnitus. I find the Lipoflavanoid does help. The best thing is to protect your hearing. Ear-plugs will protect better than in-ears all things being equal. The downside is that for lower volume gigs it can be hard to use ear plugs and still hear well.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Default IEMs and safe hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
You'd be best having your hearing checked. Ringing can be tinnitus. I find the Lipoflavanoid does help. The best thing is to protect your hearing. Ear-plugs will protect better than in-ears all things being equal. The downside is that for lower volume gigs it can be hard to use ear plugs and still hear well.

I have had several doctors look at my hearing and an audiologist calibrate a set of hearing aids. None have mentioned Lipoflavanoid and when I asked if there was anything that could be done for my tinnitus, they all said the same thing: that hearing aids sometimes partially relieved it, but that nothing else helped.

I have switched to low volume gigs and wear hearing protection when I see live music.

I am just curious if anyone has actually experienced success with Lipoflavinoid. If there’s a chance it might help I will ty it.

Last edited by lkingston; 06-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:43 PM

I tried them for about two months with no good results.
there is a lot of talk about blocking free radicals...
No luck for me.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have had several doctors look at my hearing and an audiologist calibrate a set of hearing aids. None have mentioned Lipoflavanoid and when I asked if there was anything that could be done for my tinnitus, they all said the same thing: that hearing aids sometimes partially relieved it, but that nothing else helped.

I have switched to low volume gigs and wear hearing protection when I see live music.

I am just curious if anyone has actually experienced success with Lipoflavinoid. If there’s a chance it might help I will ty it.
It depends on the severity of the condition. I found it does help but you need to take them consistently. An audiologist recommended it to me. I'm not surprised it's not widely recommended as it's not a big Pharma drug and that's the way mainstream medicine rolls.

The thing with tinnitus is that it can come and go. Doctors don't offer much as there is no easy solution. Limit your exposure and also mindful when you're not playing. Blow drying your hair, mowing your lawn, loud movies, tv etc can all aggravate it.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Ok, this is a follow up to my original post. I have been doing some research and trying some Bluetooth products. Recently I purchased a TROND BT Tx/Rx unit that has low latency. I also purchased a TROND BT low latency receiver.
I plugged the TX/RX unit into my headphones output on my BOSS VE8 (you can use the headphone out on your amp/mixer, etc). I paired the two units and plugged a set of BOSE earbuds (without the mic for calls) into the TROND Rx unit. This one actually has a volume control as an added feature.
It worked! The latency response was so negligible I could ignore it. After singing for a few minutes, I did not notice any latency at all. So for a very inexpensive cost (Check Amazon) and a decent set of earbuds, I have an IEM system.
The CONS- you have to charge the TROND units, but the good side is that they are portable, no need to plug in a wireless transmitter and charge a receiver like on standard IEM systems.
The PROS - actually very good sound and you can adjust the volume to protect your hearing.
I think a good set of earbuds makes a difference as well. I also tried pairing the transmitter with the BOSE SoundSport BT earbuds. It worked but there was a latency issue since BOSE does not support AptX or other low latency platforms.
If you purchase a set of AptX low latency earbuds, you could just pair those with the TROND transmitter and skip the TROND receiver.
As for earplugs, I found a set of WESTONE that were relatively inexpensive and came with two sets of plugs - a 7db reduction and a 15 dB reduction. I have tried many and they are the best I have used at reducing volume but maintaining some level of clarity- especially the 7dB plugs.
So there you have it.
Remember to protect your ears.
Many of us wish we had done that years ago.
davidc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification