The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-21-2018, 01:31 AM

Default A visit to Taran Guitars (Scotland) - Videos

Hello everyone,

I have just uploaded some videos that I hope you'll enjoy. They were filmed at the workshop of Scottish luthier Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars. Rory has been building for over 10 years now and this year he exhibited at the Holy Grail Guitar Show in Berlin where we had the chance to catch up properly.

I've long been a fan of Taran guitars but the instruments that Rory had at the show were on another level completely. Extremely responsive with an impressive dynamic range. Rory asked if I'd be interested in filming them and I was delighted to agree. A few weeks later I was on a plane up to Scotland armed with a matched pair of Gefell M300's and a nail buffer.

Here are the results. For those unfamiliar with Taran Guitars, this interview video may be a good place to start.

The guitars themselves are right here. The first is this beautiful Tirga Beag (pronounced Chigra Begg for those of you who have let your Gaelic get rusty) in Malaysian Blackwood and Swiss Moon Spruce with a Wengé neck. This guitar has huge potential for a nuanced and lyrical approach to go with all that power.

"The Taran" is a fiery OO which can be voiced as a plectrum accompaniment instrument, an ultra-light fingerstyle guitar or any point between the two. In this case we have a Madagascar rosewood variant with a Swiss moon spruce top. This was such a bluesy, lively guitar that I decided to string it with D'Addario non-coated PB's, instead of the Elixirs I usually use, to bring out all the "snap".

Finally here is a presentation version of The Taran in flamed maple with a moon spruce top. This is a guitar after my own heart, I love what you can pull out of a good maple instrument and this is a great one.

So what began as two mates catching up has led to a new "Luthier Stories" series on my YouTube channel and I look forward to sharing more with you from workshops around the world in the not too distant future.

Stay Tuned

MDW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:50 AM
Charter Member

It's always interesting to here such a discussion between a luthier and knowledgeable guitarist like yourself; even more-so as last year I took delivery of my Swiss/Cocobolo Taran (Rory's 100th Instrument).

I really enjoyed hearing the difference in the guitars thanks to your superb playing. Thanks for sharing Michael.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 AM

Nice videos, Michael ... good to see Rory getting some exposure.

One minor point ...

Quote:
Tirga Beag (pronounced Chigra Begg for those of you who have let your Gaelic get rusty)
I am assuming you have simply made a typo there, but for the benefit of non-gaelic speakers who might be puzzled, "Tirga" is pronounced "Chirga" ... there is no transposition of the "g" and the "r".

The initial "T" of "Tirga" is somewhat softened to give the "Ch" sound.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:49 AM

Excellent stuff!
Great videos and lovely playing.

Rory is really in the groove with his recent builds...putting himself up there with the best around.

Will Taran be featuring at TNAG at any point?

D
Old 07-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Excellent stuff!

Great videos and lovely playing.

Rory is really in the groove with his recent builds...putting himself up there with the best around.

Will Taran be featuring at TNAG at any point?

D

Glad you enjoyed it! I left TNAG over a year ago but I don’t doubt Taran Guitars will be raising eyebrows for dealers all over the world
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
It's always interesting to here such a discussion between a luthier and knowledgeable guitarist like yourself; even more-so as last year I took delivery of my Swiss/Cocobolo Taran (Rory's 100th Instrument).

I really enjoyed hearing the difference in the guitars thanks to your superb playing. Thanks for sharing Michael.

You’re a lucky man Rod! Thanks for your kind words!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop