The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Gibson Keb' Mo' Bluesmaster

The Gibson Keb' Mo' Bluesmaster is an exquisite guitar. I have had mine for almost three months now and the more I play it the more I appreciate it. It is the first twelve fret to the body guitar I have owned. The placement of the bridge more to the center of the lower bout really accentuates the bass and overall sound. It's light as a feather and was well done fit and finish-wise except for the saddle.

Mine was delivered with a saddle that did not fit the saddle slot in the bridge. It was too thin thus it had a minor but distinct lean towards the neck. Nevertheless, it still sounded fabulous unplugged. Today I replaced it with a full size saddle of Bob Colosi origin of course, and what a difference! Both saddles are bone, but after fitting Bob's saddle to the slot the difference was remarkable.

I have Elixir PB Nano lights on it now which seem to suit it. I'll have to give 80/20s a go after them though. I have a set of Newtone 80/20 Bronze Master Class Medium Lights waiting in the wings.

In the meantime, what a great guitar! I've owned both a Gibson Blues King and a Gibson Legend L-00 in the past. The Keb' Mo' really holds a candle to the Legend due to its bridge placement and otherwise similiar construction.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM

I've what seems forever had my eyes on that model (on-line) mainly because of the wide nut (1 13/16"), short scale length and the 12-fret configuration with the associated bridge placement. I'm sure if I can have the opportunity to play one I'd buy it - seems and sounds like a great guitar!!

Yes, a proper fitting saddle makes a world of difference - enjoy your guitar NevadaPic.
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand

Last edited by Cazon; 11-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaPic View Post
The Gibson Keb' Mo' Bluesmaster is an exquisite guitar. I have had mine for almost three months now and the more I play it the more I appreciate it. It is the first twelve fret to the body guitar I have owned. The placement of the bridge more to the center of the lower bout really accentuates the bass and overall sound. It's light as a feather and was well done fit and finish-wise except for the saddle.

Mine was delivered with a saddle that did not fit the saddle slot in the bridge. It was too thin thus it had a minor but distinct lean towards the neck. Nevertheless, it still sounded fabulous unplugged. Today I replaced it with a full size saddle of Bob Colosi origin of course, and what a difference! Both saddles are bone, but after fitting Bob's saddle to the slot the difference was remarkable.

I have Elixir PB Nano lights on it now which seem to suit it. I'll have to give 80/20s a go after them though. I have a set of Newtone 80/20 Bronze Master Class Medium Lights waiting in the wings.

In the meantime, what a great guitar! I've owned both a Gibson Blues King and a Gibson Legend L-00 in the past. The Keb' Mo' really holds a candle to the Legend due to its bridge placement and otherwise similiar construction.

Thanks!
any of these with "bubinga" b/s?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Not much for Keb' Mo's brand of pop blues but I do love that guitar bearing his name.

Do they still make them with that Epiphone French Heel neck?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Not much for Keb' Mo's brand of pop blues but I do love that guitar bearing his name.
Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Do they still make them with that Epiphone French Heel neck?
Yes.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Default Interesting... very interesting

I purchased a new Gibson L-00TV a couple months ago, and it had the same problem with the saddle!!

Does your Keb Mo have a long saddle (the kind where the slot is open at both ends) or a standard (enclosed) saddle? When you purchased your new one from Bob Colosi, what information did you have to provide to him?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
any of these with "bubinga" b/s?
The Blues King had Bubinga back/sides. I had a Gibson L-130 once that also had Bubinga bask/sides. It's a fine tonewood in my opinion.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
I purchased a new Gibson L-00TV a couple months ago, and it had the same problem with the saddle!!

Does your Keb Mo have a long saddle (the kind where the slot is open at both ends) or a standard (enclosed) saddle? When you purchased your new one from Bob Colosi, what information did you have to provide to him?
My Keb' Mo' has a standard drop in saddle. The original (bogus) saddle was not B compensated. So I asked Bob to provide a Gibson (1/8" thick, B-string uncompensated, 2.8"long) bone saddle which I replaced for the original. Your saddle may be B compensated in which case you would want to order a Gibson (1/8" thick, B-string compensated, 2.8"long) saddle.

It takes some amount of work to fit the new saddle. Bob includes complete instructions. See his website at http://www.guitarsaddles.com. I like to use the glass in a picture frame for a flat surface. Get some sandpaper and take your time.

The Gibson L-00 Legend had a long saddle where the slot is open and curved at both ends. These kinds of saddle are a bit more difficult to adjust. The top of the saddle has to be addressed instead of the bottom and it can be a challenge to maintain the proper radius.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I've seen a few new Gibsons with wobbly, leaning saddles. I assumed that they had been replaced by a less-than-competent tech at the various big-box stores where I encountered them but it seems strange that it should occur so often. From what I understand, the factory precision cuts the slots and has saddles for them that are a good fit, so factory error seems unlikely, unless the wrong saddles are used on specific bridges, or something. I guess it could also be that some of those big stores have guitars in stock for a long time in some cases, so maybe they're more likely to fall into the hands of the stores' techs. Puzzling.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I've seen a few new Gibsons with wobbly, leaning saddles. I assumed that they had been replaced by a less-than-competent tech at the various big-box stores where I encountered them but it seems strange that it should occur so often. From what I understand, the factory precision cuts the slots and has saddles for them that are a good fit, so factory error seems unlikely, unless the wrong saddles are used on specific bridges, or something. I guess it could also be that some of those big stores have guitars in stock for a long time in some cases, so maybe they're more likely to fall into the hands of the stores' techs. Puzzling.
It's a mystery. In my case the saddle was obviously too narrow for the slot and its lean towards the neck was readily apparent. I might add that Mr. Colosi's saddle was precisely the right thickness for the slot. I had to trim the ends and reduce its height as needed but otherwise it slid into the slot w/o resistance. Bob Colosi is the guitar's best friend!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The Blues King had Bubinga back/sides. I had a Gibson L-130 once that also had Bubinga bask/sides. It's a fine tonewood in my opinion.
I am very enamored with the bubinga and the L-130. Could you tell me if the saddle on your Keb is comparable to the b compensated saddle on the L-130? Wonder if I got your ol' Gibson? J.D.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Bob Colosi is the guitar's best friend!
I'll second that! Bob has helped me with multiple quality upgrades on my different instruments.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I am very enamored with the bubinga and the L-130. Could you tell me if the saddle on your Keb is comparable to the b compensated saddle on the L-130? Wonder if I got your ol' Gibson? J.D.
The saddle on the Keb' Mo' is bone. The saddle in your L-130 could be plastic or Tusq unless someone replaced it with something else. Otherwise yours is compensated and mine is not.

My L-130 had a plastic (Tusq?) saddle which I replaced with bone. It was a definite improvement. They are nice little guitars. I'm always on the lookout for another one.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The saddle on the Keb' Mo' is bone. The saddle in your L-130 could be plastic or Tusq unless someone replaced it with something else. Otherwise yours is compensated and mine is not.

My L-130 had a plastic (Tusq?) saddle which I replaced with bone. It was a definite improvement. They are nice little guitars. I'm always on the lookout for another one.

Mr. Colosi is sending me a new bone saddle as of today. The saddle on this 130 is worn down to the "bone"! I was fortunate to find this l'il jewel. Hope you find another, also. J.D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion