The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Although they are both excellent guitars, why limit your choices to just Martin and Taylor?

The new 2018 Guild D-55 is right up there with them.

+1....I mainly play a D-18 and 000-18 these days, but played a 70's Guild D-25 for nearly 20 years and loved it...the current Guilds like Bruce posted are excellent leaning towards Martin tone, yet have there own sound and beauty. I love the shape of the bridge too! The only Taylor that really struck a chord with me was the late 90's 514, other than that the mids are sterile and highs too bright for my taste.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I've tried to like Taylors and even owned a real nice 614c at one time - played great but sounded blaaah. My first guitar was an inherited Martin ('36 0-17) and I've pretty much always owned Martins and am uncomfortable with anything else. I've had D-18s, D28H, D18vs, 000-28GE, 000-28vs, D18v (a killer guitar!!!), and presently have a 2014 000-18 because I decided the smaller body was better for the fingerstyle that I play. I have been thinking of getting Taylor to use as a 'beater' to tote around to places where I need the electronics but would much rather mic the Martin - I refuse to put a pickup in it - I don't want to enlarge the tailpin hole and I don't like the sound of pickups anyway.There is a direct replacement tailpin jack but they're pricey. Can't really knock Taylors much as a lot of folks like 'em - they're just not for me.

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 07-02-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 PM

All boils down to what tone you like. Generally speaking, there's a big enough difference in tone between the Martin and Taylor that your ears will tell you which one to buy.
'14 Martin 00-15m
Old 07-01-2018, 08:34 PM

Ok... I'm going to settle this, right here right now, once and forever.

Just get a "Martin Taylor" and be done with it!

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

If I had to choose between the 2 I would go with Martin. A D35 to be specific.
It’s got loads of low end, all the volume you can need, and, with the right set up it can play like butter, something that is a big selling point for Taylor.

Taylor’s are fine guitars but I prefer the Martin sound, with it’s scooped middle and low end growl

With that said, I find I get all I need for less $ with a Furch Dread.
In addition to incredible note separation and sustain, I get the low end of a Martin, with the sparkle of a Taylor. Also, the low profile necks are a pleasure to play.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsob View Post
Are you singing while playing this Martin orTaylor? If so, what's you voice like; deep, rich bass, thick, heavy he man tone or higher, crisp, crisp articulate Joni-esque clarity? Maybe get the guitar opposite of you vocal sound to broaden the overall range of sounds?
This is a great suggestion! I never thought of this, but it really makes a lot of sense. I’m more like the second voice type you described, so maybe a D35 would make the most sense for me. Thanks!
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Get one of each, life is short.
Great advice.

When I bought my Martin DM in 1998, I thought: 'This is the only guitar I'll ever need'.

When I bought my Martin HD28V in 2015, I thought, no - this is definitely the only guitar I'll ever need.

A few months ago I had the great good fortune to find a secondhand Taylor 914ce (2011) in pristine condition, and bought it. I think it might be the only guitar I'll ever need ....
Old 07-02-2018, 04:12 AM

This seems to be a very tough question to answer. I have a much easier question y'all can help me to answer - If I ever got remarried, should I choose a blond, brunette, or redhead?
Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
Looking for a guitar that I'll hopefully have until I leave this old world. I have narrowed my search down to a Martin D18, a D28, and a D35, but am not ruling out a Taylor in that price range. If it was you, what would you purchase, and why?
I would play them and buy whichever one I liked the best.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Looking for a guitar that I'll hopefully have until I leave this old world.
This statement alone screams Martin. Taylor changes their designs like the automotive and cell phone industries. Every 2 years there are updates that render the previous models obsolete. Ok, but if you really LOVE a specific Taylor it shouldn't matter if it becomes outdated. Well, truth is I haven't owned a Taylor that I didn't take a large hit on during a sale.

But, you are looking for a forever guitar, so buy the guitar that you think suits you forever...
Old 07-02-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
This statement alone screams Martin. Taylor changes their designs like the automotive and cell phone industries. Every 2 years there are updates that render the previous models obsolete. Ok, but if you really LOVE a specific Taylor it shouldn't matter if it becomes outdated. Well, truth is I haven't owned a Taylor that I didn't take a large hit on during a sale.

But, you are looking for a forever guitar, so buy the guitar that you think suits you forever...
How come we don't have a "like" button on this forum? Your post is both hilarious and so so true. You cited my beef against Taylor so much better than I could have.

And you're right. If you love a specific Taylor it shouldn't matter if it is SUPERCEDED (not really outdated) by a new model of "innovation". Sometimes "innovation" is about margin and marketing rather than product improvement. You can fill in the rest of my thought here.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-02-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penname View Post
When I first started playing the guitar I did a lot of research and decided I wanted a Taylor guitar. Bought a Taylor 210 that sounded great but I discovered that my arthritis didn’t mix with dreads. So I found a great deal on a GA8 and that was my main guitar for almost 2 years.

The GA8 played like a dream but as I progressed as a guitarist I started to notice that in some circumstances it sounded too bright to my ear. First I thought it was my fault due to poor technique. Next I tried a variety of strings and managed to get a warmer sound, but still sometimes too bright.

About this time the revoiced 2012 Martin OM-21 came out to some great reviews. It wasn’t easy to find one to play but finally managed. This was the sound I wanted to hear so I bought it. And it became my main guitar for the next three years until I was drawn in by a Martin CEO-7.

So to finally answer your question, when I was faced your decision I went with Taylor only to discover later I really preferred the Martin sound. Of course since that time Taylor has revoiced also but my ear is now firmly Martinized so I’m set.

I too began with Taylors - a 214ce deluxe , then a 714ce....TAylor was a solid company with great reputation ...then I picked up an Om-28 in a store - I was shocked they had a lefty for me to try. The bass and the richness of the tone blew me away. Sold both Taylors , bought a martin, never looked back. But I like bob Taylor and I have profound respect for the company with its commitment to innovation. Truth be told, I kinda wish I had a bolt on neck on my Martins.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Looking for a guitar that I'll hopefully have until I leave this old world. I have narrowed my search down to a Martin D18, a D28, and a D35, but am not ruling out a Taylor in that price range. If it was you, what would you purchase, and why?

BTW, my playing style is mostly strumming and arpeggios, not much finger style. I don't need electronics, although I'm not dead set against them either.

I'm looking for super rich tone and loud unplugged volume. Any of these guitars would be just fine in terms of playability for me. And please don't say "try a bunch of them and see what one you like best". I'm already doing that- I just want to hear the opinions of others here. Thanks!
At first thought, I would pick a Martlor but then I though, no, I'll take the Taytin.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM

From what the OP said in the first post I dont see how this has generated so much response, what he is describing is a Martin of the two brands. But why not a Halcyon if you want t real clean guitar sound?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Thanks so much for the great (and sometimes humorous) replies! Despite the "play them all and buy the one you like" posts, there are some great insights here about what makes Martins, Taylors, and other brands unique and what to look for in a purchase. I'm a fairly experienced player (not necessarily good but just old ), but I have still learned a lot from this thread.

Thanks much for the sage advice and the great insights! As I said before, the collective wisdom and experience of this forum is something special.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion