The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
I watched Kevin bend Brazilian sides for my first Cathedral ... while he was doing it I was so tense ... he, otoh, was so relaxed. He's had very few sides crack over the years.

As for getting the most from Ryans, I've also found that a light hand brings out the most ... strangely they seem to get more resonant the lighter you play. Other guitars seem to come alive the more you dig into them.
I've seen this before and it was with someone else's wood. I just remember thinking how I would have a hard time watching it if it was my own braz.

Thank goodness Kevin's pictures show that both the upper and lower halves made it ok
Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Absolutely unbelievable guitar! The finest materials anywhere and a master at work with them. It will be incredible. Congratulations!

Just curious, what was your wait time to start this build? How long were you on the list?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaylor View Post
Absolutely unbelievable guitar! The finest materials anywhere and a master at work with them. It will be incredible. Congratulations!

Just curious, what was your wait time to start this build? How long were you on the list?

Thanks.

Hi Bruce - Thanks man! Kevin and I have been kicking around some ideas for some time now. For latest wait times I would suggest calling Kevin. He's made so many cool recent additions (and a few cool new details which you may see on this guitar ). I won't spoil all the fun by spilling the beans though
Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 AM

Well, Kevin's a pro ... your sides made it through ... and so did mine. Back then I was used to watching the old method at Taylor ... and so my mouth was hanging open when I saw what Kevin was doing. I didn't actually get to see them out of the mold that day, but he assured me that they were just fine. Just played the guitar this morning ... it sure has gotten more resonant and responsive over the years ... didn't even think that was possible since it was so wonderful when I played it a few days after it was strung up for the first time.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
Well, Kevin's a pro ... your sides made it through ... and so did mine. Back then I was used to watching the old method at Taylor ... and so my mouth was hanging open when I saw what Kevin was doing. I didn't actually get to see them out of the mold that day, but he assured me that they were just fine. Just played the guitar this morning ... it sure has gotten more resonant and responsive over the years ... didn't even think that was possible since it was so wonderful when I played it a few days after it was strung up for the first time.
I played mine as well and it sounds really really good. As you say, hard to imagine that it could get better than when I first received it.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 AM

all i know is that man makes some cool guitars... someday, maybe I'll think about one.

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)
Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFather View Post
all i know is that man makes some cool guitars... someday, maybe I'll think about one.

If there's a nice, quick bull run in the market you may have a nice opportunity if timed right
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
I played mine as well and it sounds really really good. As you say, hard to imagine that it could get better than when I first received it.
Well, it will. I'm sure some of it has to do with becoming more familiar with a particular instrument and learning how to get the most out of it ... but I do think guitars "learn" to vibrate in certain ways the more they get played.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
If there's a nice, quick bull run in the market you may have a nice opportunity if timed right
lol... funny!!!

(for those of you who are wondering why I find that funny, I think Commando knows that I don't advocate "timing the market"... I know how I hate it when I don't get a joke)

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)
Old 10-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadFather View Post
lol... funny!!!

(for those of you who are wondering why I find that funny, I think Commando knows that I don't advocate "timing the market"... I know how I hate it when I don't get a joke)
He's a smart guy and catches on to the subtle humor
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Hey Gang -

Here's some of the latest pictures.....check out the cool mother of pearl around the Blue Paua "R" logo . Lovin how it makes the the blue paua pop on the ebony headstock.

How many times have you seen that on a Ryan?

Also is that blue paua I see around the TOP of the headstock (where the faceplace joins the neck) as well????

Who knows what the master will do next??

Old 10-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Recent pix

Old 10-24-2008, 06:57 PM

I like the blue paua! The rosette is beautiful and certainly the headstock is gorgeous.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 10-25-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp View Post
I like the blue paua! The rosette is beautiful and certainly the headstock is gorgeous.
Thanks TPP! Kevin has the potential for a show stopper here.

Is it just me or does anyone else think all those gadgets in his shop are so cool?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:27 AM

that is probably the most beautiful guitar i have ever seen
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop