The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’ve owned an 814ce, GS-7, and a 522e 12 fret and compared to my current K-22ce and 714ce LTD 12 fret, they are (all) tonally substantially different so I disagree with statements that all Taylors sound similar. Lower line guitar? I guess Martin, Gibson, Larrivee, Breedlove, etc. are also lower line guitars?

You kind of seem to be complimenting and putting down Taylor guitars at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendoggy View Post
The thing about Taylor’s is because they are so consistent I think it’s pretty hard to find one that is absolutely exceptional. I really do think they all sound very very similar. Granted I’ve only played 1500 or so in my lifetime that is my opinion. That said for a lower line guitar they are spectacular as they all sound good.

They are 100 through 400 lines are really great guitars for the money
I found it difficult to believe anyone has played 1500 different guitars in their lifetime let alone 1500 different Taylors. I guess it could happen. Anyway, I agree with you. If guitars that cost into the tens of thousands are "lower line", what is expensive?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-30-2018 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Fixed second quote and edited
Old 08-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Do yourself a favor, and play the new HD-28 along with the others. (Or the HD-28V if you prefer the older neck). Killer guitars, in that same league.

I’d also point out that the plain Jane D-28 was the guitar of choice for Jimi Page and Paul McCartney. And they make them better nowadays than they did in the 70s.

Can’t go wrong with any of the Martins you listed.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:26 AM

+1 for Martin, is this a vote?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
Looking for a guitar that I'll hopefully have until I leave this old world. I have narrowed my search down to a Martin D18, a D28, and a D35, but am not ruling out a Taylor in that price range. If it was you, what would you purchase, and why?

BTW, my playing style is mostly strumming and arpeggios, not much finger style. I don't need electronics, although I'm not dead set against them either.

I'm looking for super rich tone and loud unplugged volume. Any of these guitars would be just fine in terms of playability for me. And please don't say "try a bunch of them and see what one you like best". I'm already doing that- I just want to hear the opinions of others here. Thanks!
A Martin or a Taylor must be according to your ears. They both have a massive following and have a very different sound.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I found it difficult to believe anyone has played 1500 different guitars in their lifetime let alone 1500 different Taylors. I guess it could happen. Anyway, I agree with you. If guitars that cost into the tens of thousands are "lower line", what is expensive?
Work at music stores that arr Taylor dealers for over 18 years is how you do it. I have played VASTLY more than 1500 guitar in my life.

I was saying that the lower lines of Taylor.... the 100 200 300 series are spectacular guitaris for the money and probably the best out there in my opinion. I just don’t think the higher end lines are worth the money for me.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-30-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 08-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Oh and I just saw My dictation came out on that original post. Yes not saying they are a lower line. Ha

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-30-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Edited quote again
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendoggy View Post
Oh and I just saw My dictation came out on that original post. Yes not saying they are a lower line. Ha
Curse u Siri
Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM

I have played a Taylor 814 and a Martin HD-28 side by side and I cannot tell the difference.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:10 PM

They're both nice. They both have a dedicated following. Neither is better than the other. It's all a matter of opinion.

I happen to like Taylor's better, for the most part. That said...dreadnoughts are not my thing. Took several to finally figure that out. I'd give the nod to Martin, for dreds.

Smaller bodied guitars - I think Taylor wins by a mile.

But I happen to have a Martin 000 that I really enjoy...so, there's that.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Age old question "Martin or Taylor?" Nah. The real "age old" question would be "Martin or Gibson?". Taylor is just old enough to be considered a punk kid without the stuff to fill their cases with.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:22 PM

I think Taylor nailed it with the small bodied guitars. The x12 and x14 models beat all competitors IMHO.. and it still amazes me when I play it. It’s a great all around guitar. The Taylors are super easy to play.
Hard to argue with a Martin dread though. One thing you might want to look at.. (just to give yourself a bigger focus group) is the Guild D55.. Sounds like the Martin, plays like a Taylor..
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM

I used to play Taylors, but found them to sound sterile. One day, I went to the back yard and doused them with gasoline, lit a match, and bought a Martin.

Taylor gets a little short changed. They're known for their GAs and GCs with cutaways. Somehow this applies to the entire line, no matter what woods or shape. Light gauge Elixirs probably don't help.

Perhaps they have replaced Ovation as a "gateway" acoustic. That's not Taylor's fault.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:30 PM

A Martin or Taylor?

I would take a look at a Marlor or a Taytin first and then make my decision.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM

Boy it sucks having 3 lousy Taylor guitars!! Only been made since 1974, too bright, no pedigree, lousy sound, doesn't have the bass, doesn't have the mids, too much highs. Only good for pop music or Christian music because they can't handle country or bluegrass, no resale value, they make too many a year, so they really can't be considered anything other than a mass-produced, low-end instrument, no one in their right mind would be caught out in public with one because it doesn't have the correct name on the head stock!! Guess I should probably throw them in the trash and run right out and buy a real guitar! Nah, I think I'll hold on to my Taylors that play as good as any guitar out there and sound killer!! You X and Y brand owners crack me up running down Taylor! I've heard it for the last 15 or so years since the first time I showed up in a bluegrass circle with a "gasp" 810! Lots of trash-talking until they played it and then every naysayer was suddenly positive!! Let it go already!! The first letter on a headstock doesn't have to be a C. or M to be a great guitar!! I've played a LOT of Martin guitars and some sound great and some have sounded like crap! I've yet to play any Martin that the neck feels as good as any Taylor I've played! With that being said, I'd never run anyone down for what they choose to own and play! I wouldn't own a Martin guitar even if was given to me purely for that reason.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 08-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Boy it sucks having 3 lousy Taylor guitars!! Only been made since 1974, too bright, no pedigree, lousy sound, doesn't have the bass, doesn't have the mids, too much highs. Only good for pop music or Christian music because they can't handle country or bluegrass, no resale value, they make too many a year, so they're really can't be considered anything other that a mass-produced, low-end instrument, no one in their right mind would be caught out in public with one because it doesn't have the correct name on the head stock!! Guess I should probably throw them in the trash and run right out and buy a real guitar! Nah, I think I'll hold on to my Taylors that play as good as any guitar out there and sound killer!! You X and Y brand owners crack me up running down Taylor! I've heard it for the last 15 or so years since the first time I showed up in a bluegrass circle with a "gasp" 810! Lots of trash-talking until they played it and then every naysayer was suddenly positive!! Let it go already!! The first letter on a headstock doesn't have to be a C. or M to be a great guitar!! I've played a LOT of Martin guitars and some sound great and some have sounded like crap! I've yet to play any Martin that the neck feels as good as any Taylor I've played! With that being said, I'd never run anyone down for what they choose to own and play! I wouldn't own a Martin guitar even if was given to me purely for that reason.
Your Fall Ltd is, without question, garbage.

No use in keeping it.

As a high-road saint, I'll give it a home. Address coming via PM.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion