The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default No love around here for Mixcraft DAW?

I searched through AGF and found almost nobody using Mixcraft as their DAW. Is it generally not thought well of? It's the only thing I've ever used, apart from dabbling briefly with trial versions of Reaper and Audacity many years ago.

I have Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 (and will probably upgrade to version 8 when I can be bothered, which I think is only a few bucks for the upgrade price).

I haven't actually done any recording in quite a while (and even when I did, I only did it a few times), but I thought I'd try to get back into it now that my fingerpicking "skills" (using the term generously) have improved.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Smile Mixcraft

I try to keep up on the computer recording software, and this is the first I have heard of Mixcraft. If you like it and are getting good results, then that's what counts.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 08-12-2018, 01:45 PM

I think there are too many options available. I've used Cakewalk, Cubase, Studio One, Tracktion, Logic Pro and had to make a tough decision which DAW is going to be my main one, otherwise I lose focus.
Developers constantly entice you with sales and low prices (Reaper), software bundled with audio interfaces (Cubase and Studio One), free fully-featured DAWs (Cakewalk and Tracktion 7) etc.
So I guess it's not easy to stand out in this crowded market. But I heard good things about Mixcraft, it's just many people already have their DAW of choice.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 AM

DAW choice is about the user interface, work flow and 'options' (plug-ins, etc). Whatever works for you is the important thing. If you ever think "I wish I could do ____ with this", then you need to start looking at other DAWs.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
DAW choice is about the user interface, work flow and 'options' (plug-ins, etc). Whatever works for you is the important thing. If you ever think "I wish I could do ____ with this", then you need to start looking at other DAWs.
What he said . Mixcraft is not well known in any audio recording circles not just AGF...... BUT IF it works for you, that is all that matters.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I used to use that years ago. I wasn't aware they were still in business. Now I use a zoom and do my tweaking in Audacity and Audition.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 PM

I had to Google it. I'd never heard of it. If it works for you - no reason to switch.

As has been said, DAWs are a very personal choice...unless you work in commercial studios, in which case you need to use Pro Tools.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 PM

I played with it 10 or 12 years ago. It was advertised as the easiest to use DAW and for a reasonable price. Then I moved onto other projects and forgot about it till this post. Its been so long since I used it, that I don’t remember much about it. I didn’t find it super easy to use, but then it was the first DAW that I used. Don’t know if Mixcraft has the annual revenue to keep improving the product...
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 AM

hadn't heard of it until today. i use logic and reason mostly and find they do what i want them to do. yours, no matter your choice, should do the same.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

OP here.

It's funny that most people don't seem to have heard of it (Mixcraft), or are only vaguely familiar with it, but as was pointed out, there are a lot of options available in the DAW market.

I am happy with it so far, although the whole world of music recording and processing is a bit overwhelming to me, someone who rarely dabbles in it. The other day, I recorded my acoustic (The Loar LO-16) through a Shure SM58 microphone that I positioned on the edge of a desk (haven't bothered to replace the old mic stand that I gave away), through a little Focusrite iTrack Solo into Mixcraft, and I was amazed that it sounded pretty good with a touch of reverb added in Mixcraft.

I guess the only thing that I find a little frustrating about using a DAW that few others use is that there is no community discussion (unless I join the Mixcraft forum), whereas with something like Reaper or Audacity there would most likely be someone on AGF who could answer DAW-brand-specific questions.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
OP here.

It's funny that most people don't seem to have heard of it (Mixcraft), or are only vaguely familiar with it, but as was pointed out, there are a lot of options available in the DAW market.

I am happy with it so far, although the whole world of music recording and processing is a bit overwhelming to me, someone who rarely dabbles in it. The other day, I recorded my acoustic (The Loar LO-16) through a Shure SM58 microphone that I positioned on the edge of a desk (haven't bothered to replace the old mic stand that I gave away), through a little Focusrite iTrack Solo into Mixcraft, and I was amazed that it sounded pretty good with a touch of reverb added in Mixcraft.

I guess the only thing that I find a little frustrating about using a DAW that few others use is that there is no community discussion (unless I join the Mixcraft forum), whereas with something like Reaper or Audacity there would most likely be someone on AGF who could answer DAW-brand-specific questions.
I was aware of Mixcraft but have never used it. You are likely correct if in fact it is a question that is actually particular to only a specific DAW. However a lot of basic DAW concepts are multilateral, with often only the specific nomenclature being different . For example in Reaper it is a "Project"..... in Pro Tools a "Session" (unless collaborating in the cloud, where it is a "Project" )

Actually joining the Mixcraft Forum may not be a bad idea
And there is this if you are not already aware
https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v...orials.htm.bak

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I was aware of Mixcraft but have never used it. You are likely correct if in fact it is a question that is actually particular to only a specific DAW. However a lot of basic DAW concepts are multilateral, with often only the specific nomenclature being different . For example in Reaper it is a "Project"..... in Pro Tools a "Session" (unless collaborating in the cloud, where it is a "Project" )

Actually joining the Mixcraft Forum may not be a bad idea
And there is this if you are not already aware
https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v...orials.htm.bak

Wow, that looks quite comprehensive--thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 AM

I sort of switched DAWs about nine years ago. I started out on FL Studio because I was into making electronic dance music (EDM). I then started to take guitar more seriously and wanted to ge tinto recording. FL Studio didn't have (still doesn't) a workflow that I like for recording and wanted something else. Somebody I knew used Mixcraft but I never had an inclination to check it out. Instead, I went with REAPER. I tried to get into Live a few times along the way but just couldn't appreciate its workflow for what I do. Along came Studio One which I do really like for what it does but never really got into it. I have used a trial version of Reason which was surprisingly good.

Point being: Try a few DAWs, take note of what you like and don't like, what you will use and not use and choose what suits you best.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
I sort of switched DAWs about nine years ago. I started out on FL Studio because I was into making electronic dance music (EDM). I then started to take guitar more seriously and wanted to ge tinto recording. FL Studio didn't have (still doesn't) a workflow that I like for recording and wanted something else. Somebody I knew used Mixcraft but I never had an inclination to check it out. Instead, I went with REAPER. I tried to get into Live a few times along the way but just couldn't appreciate its workflow for what I do. Along came Studio One which I do really like for what it does but never really got into it. I have used a trial version of Reason which was surprisingly good.

Point being: Try a few DAWs, take note of what you like and don't like, what you will use and not use and choose what suits you best.
For years now I've been a user of Cakewalk/Sonar and love just about everything it offers. The workflow features are super. From the start up version that came with an interface years ago to now, I've upgraded several times, to Sonar Professional. It's selection of and quality of plug-ins is awesome! I tried Mixcraft as well, but keep going back to Sonar.

The only other one I've tried and was quite impressed with, is Harrison Mixbus which is under the DAW product radar as far as I can tell. It is designed to look like and operate like the famous Harisson consoles that have produced several hit recordings. It's designed and sold by the actual Harrison consoles company. It's very reasonably priced. You should check it out too. Charles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD