The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Shure SM58 vs Beta 58a vs Beta 57a - Observations

Basically for about 40 years, I've been using Shure microphones for live vocal use. Most have been the SM58, although I had owned an SM57 in the past as well. As I did not have an SM57 available for a direct comparison, I will leave that mic out of the comments below. I usually used the SM57 for instrument mic'ing anyway.

I recently acquired a Beta 58a and a Beta 57a and just did a side by side comparison against my standard SM58.

Here's what I found with my voice:

1. The SM58 in comparison to the Beta mics sounded the fullest, but also the most muted. It also was the softest in volume level. By fullest, I mean it just sounds deeper in the bass response.

2. The Beta 58a was similar to the SM58 in general quality, but it was dramatically louder and brighter sounding. Mid frequencies seemed more forward. It seemed to lack as much bass as the SM58, but that could be due to a lower proximity effect (deeper sounds when you sing closer to the mic itself.)

3. The Beta 57a was brightest of all and had a similar volume level to the Beta 58a. There is definitely a rising curve on this mic in the higher frequencies. Bass response was the least of all with my voice. But my voice did sound clearer. Not sure it is right for my voice though.

4. The super cardioid pattern really rejects sounds from the rear of the microphone and to the sides as well. There is a small area to the side where you can hear the sounds louder than directly at 90 degrees to the side, but that's the nature of the super cardioid pattern. Still, it rejects feedback very well.

I have a fairly thin sounding voice compared to other singers. While I can try belting it out, I will never have the depth of other male vocalists. (You can hear what I sound like by checking the video link in my signature line.) So having a mic that exaggerates the low frequencies is important for my voice.

I like a clear sound, but not one that is brittle in the high frequencies as my voice can sound really thin with a mic that exaggerates the high end.

Of all these mics, I think the Beta 58a fits me best. It's clearer sounding and has a decent amount of bass, but I'm still used to more bass on the SM58 and wish it had that. I'm really surprised how much more muted sounding my standard SM58 sounds in comparison to it. Without having a direct comparison, I probably would be just happy with an SM58 and never know what I'm missing. But having done a back to back comparison, I know now how much I'm missing.

I have not tried the EV or Audix mics that some have mentioned here in the past. Perhaps they would be better for me... who knows. Right now, I'm going to stick with the Beta 58a and see where that takes me. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicguy View Post

4. The super cardioid pattern really rejects sounds from the rear of the microphone and to the sides as well. There is a small area to the side where you can hear the sounds louder than directly at 90 degrees to the side, but that's the nature of the super cardioid pattern. Still, it rejects feedback very well.
A slight correction...

Super cardioid mics have a very pronounced pickup lobe to the rear of the mic. This can lead to feedback issues if you are using loud monitors pointed directly at the back of the microphone (quite often the monitors will be placed at a 45 degree offset for that reason).
Old 11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I stand corrected. You are right. What I did was simply sing around the mic and could not hear much volume at the base of the rear of the mic. But yes, super cardioid mics do have a lobe in the rear of the mic.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM

I've observed the same thing with the SM 58 but that "muted" sound seems actually muddy to me (in comparison of course)

I much preferred the Sennheiser 835 to the Beta 58. I thought the 835 was much more even across the frequecies. I didn't like that "forwardness" of the mids.

BUT my Beta 87A is where it's at for me.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM

The Beta58 works very well for me vocally, better than alot of other mics I have tried, the low cut lets me push the bottom of my voice without it getting wooly.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Rick!

Aloha Rick & Friends,

It just goes to show you - we all must audition mics- especially vocal mics - before we buy because they are completely voice-specific. Any other approach is a throw of the dice & possible waste of money.

My voice chose the AKG 535 (most of the time), Neumann KMS105 (larger halls) & EV N/D 967 (problem rooms & tight loud stages) for live applications & Mojave MA200 for recording.

Used over a hundred live mics over the years - with a 58 in the early years of gigging, until somebody wised me up. Losing the SM-58 was like taking cotton out of my live vocal sound. I guess if I were a shouter.... Different strokes!

Try 'em all out first.

Thanks for sharing your process with us Rickstah!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 11-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

....i like the Beta 57 for live vocals on account of the increased sibilance as compared to a 58...i used a beta 87A for awhile but i found that the 57 had a beefier sound although it did lack the smoothness of a 87...i've mixed sound for a lot of singer/songwriter types, pros and amateurs... and i've found that many if not most are very comfortable with a 58 and it is often specified in contract riders...its a very user friendly mic and works well for most voices...
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicguy View Post
Basically for about 40 years, I've been using Shure microphones for live vocal use. Most have been the SM58, although I had owned an SM57 in the past as well. As I did not have an SM57 available for a direct comparison, I will leave that mic out of the comments below. I usually used the SM57 for instrument mic'ing anyway.

I recently acquired a Beta 58a and a Beta 57a and just did a side by side comparison against my standard SM58.

Here's what I found with my voice:

1. The SM58 in comparison to the Beta mics sounded the fullest, but also the most muted. It also was the softest in volume level. By fullest, I mean it just sounds deeper in the bass response.

2. The Beta 58a was similar to the SM58 in general quality, but it was dramatically louder and brighter sounding. Mid frequencies seemed more forward. It seemed to lack as much bass as the SM58, but that could be due to a lower proximity effect (deeper sounds when you sing closer to the mic itself.)

3. The Beta 57a was brightest of all and had a similar volume level to the Beta 58a. There is definitely a rising curve on this mic in the higher frequencies. Bass response was the least of all with my voice. But my voice did sound clearer. Not sure it is right for my voice though.

I have a fairly thin sounding voice compared to other singers. While I can try belting it out, I will never have the depth of other male vocalists. (You can hear what I sound like by checking the video link in my signature line.) So having a mic that exaggerates the low frequencies is important for my voice.

I like a clear sound, but not one that is brittle in the high frequencies as my voice can sound really thin with a mic that exaggerates the high end.

Of all these mics, I think the Beta 58a fits me best. It's clearer sounding and has a decent amount of bass, but I'm still used to more bass on the SM58 and wish it had that. I'm really surprised how much more muted sounding my standard SM58 sounds in comparison to it. Without having a direct comparison, I probably would be just happy with an SM58 and never know what I'm missing. But having done a back to back comparison, I know now how much I'm missing.

I have not tried the EV or Audix mics that some have mentioned here in the past. Perhaps they would be better for me... who knows. Right now, I'm going to stick with the Beta 58a and see where that takes me. Thanks for reading.
I used a SM57, then for several years a SM58. I also came to rely on the proximity effect of the 58 to give the bottom of my range some heft. Like you, I had no idea that the sound of the mic was relatively muddy and muted until I tried a vocal condenser mic. Hugh difference, but the mic I was using, an Apex 115, had little in the way of proximity effect (it just got louder to the point of distortion when I got close and did more than whisper). It only really worked with my voice at a bit of a distance from the mic. Very natural and accurate sound, but I liked getting "intimate" with mic and missed the bass-boost. Then I got an EV N/D767a, and I'm very, very happy with it. It has the clarity of a condenser with a nice, rich bottom. It works beautifully close up at the grill and picks up every detail when I back off a bit to wail. It has a proximity effect like the SM58, but it's not muddy at all. Very controlled and dramatic on the deep end (it has something called VOB that keeps the low end strong, but clear--it works).

Mics and voices are funny things to match, and just because a mic works for me doesn't mean it will for you. I have a pretty strong voice, but like you I need a boost at the bottom. From what you've said, I think you might like the EV. It's certainly worth a try--and it's ridiculously cheap given the quaility of the thing. Works beautifully on acoustic guitar, too!

Louis
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I just ordered one of the Electro-Voice N/D767a mics as it was relatively inexpensive. I'll compare that to these Shure mics and make a final decision on which one to use for my vocals.

Fine tuning the right mic for my voice is really the best way to go to get the most out of the PA system. While I have relied on the SM58 for so long, it's time to see what else there is out there that can do better.

I'm sure I can live with the Beta 58a and Beta 57a. Both are good performers. Let's see what this Electro-Voice can do in comparison! I'll report back after I get it in to compare.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM

I think you're being smart in the sense that you're not "settling" for the status quo. So often it seems that people invest in a great guitar and make an effort to get a great p/u sound (and in the case of the typical electric band have great guitars with tube amps, exotic bass guitar woods and expensive drums) and then a barely mediocre PA system and vocal. I TRULY believe that people "settle" for "good enough" when just a little (and I mean a little) effort and a few extra bucks can bring the overall sound to another level and a better mic (and a mic that actaully enhances your voice) to make a major difference.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 PM

I have the EV that I ordered years ago that you mentioned just ordering, FG. It took a big drop in price over the years and used to be a little under $200 in price. Compared to the standard Shure SM58 that is a much more powerful mic IMO but I think it has a muddier sound to it but may work very well for those with high vocal ranges as it contributes lower end to vocals IMO. For me with my low range I don't consider it the best choice. I'll be interested in hearing your review, especially compared to the Beta versions of those Shure mics.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone.

Yes, while I like the clarity I seem to be getting with the Beta 58a, I was curious to see if the EV can give me back some additional bottom-end. My voice being rather thin sounding compared to other people's voices can use more proximity effect. I tend to touch my lips onto a mic when singing, so if a mic has good proximity effect, it will help me out.

I'll definitely report back after the EV comes in and I get to do a comparison.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 AM
*mahoganut*

PM sent, Russ...

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Proximity effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)

Reading that made me even more appreciate my Beta 87A (or any mic with low proximity effect. I'd rather have clear, consistant sound as I more in and out from the mic. That I can sing low volume right on top of the mic and move back to sing loud and not lose anything. btw I really notice it too as I use other mics at Open Mics and stuff.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM

I've used a Beta 58 for your many years. I have a low blues voice. It works for me really well. I like the sensitivity for whisper singing, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification