The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Hi Dank,

Perhaps an inquiry to Fishman would be useful. Its interesting to note that Fishman has a new type of Aura offshoot technology, called "Aura IC" (IC for "image casting") which appears to be a type of modeling to me. Aura IC is used with chambered stage guitars (like yours) to give their direct-from-pickup amplified sound more of a miked-acoustic sound. Alvarez and Godin have recently released Aura IC models. The Godin Multiac Grand Concert Ambiance (w/Aura IC) made a big impact at winter NAMM 2009. This "Flametal" video, with Benjamin Woods playing the Ambiance at NAMM 2009, is certainly impressive to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCd8xRzll3E

I can tell you for sure that DTAR's Mama Bear works well with UST-equipped chambered stage guitars. I've used it with my own Renaissance RS-6, as well as another player's Gibson Chet SST.

As for the Aura Spectrum DI, it would certainly give you the capability of trying your Crowdster with hundreds of different sound images. That kind of experimentation with the Spectrum DI will be part of the fun for me. On the other hand, I wouldn't take the gamble of buying an Aura Spectrum DI solely for the purpose of using it with a chambered guitar. If I understand the Spectrum DI correctly, compatability with a chambered guitar would be more of a lucky accident that an intended result.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 08-20-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM

I have to say that the three components, the Anderson, Para DI and the Bose, all complement one another rather well. Why fix it if it isn't broken, right?
Taylor:K65CE;GSMC;XXX-BE;818e.Gibson: Sheryl Crow, '59 LP, Flamed 335; Froggy F-12& Dread. Martin D-41;Anderson: Crowdster and Cobra Tele.Parker: Mojo Bubinga.Suhr: Mary Kaye and Butterscotch T;PRS:Custom 24 10 Top; SC; 513 10 Top;DGT; Paul's Guitar; Studio Ten Top. Hamer: Talladego. Epi :Lennon Rev;Fender:'62 J Bass, '65 AVRI, '76 Strat, 50th Ann. Strat, '62 Jazz .
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Jimmy,

Thanks for the great review of the new Fishman Aura Spectrum! I've loved all the various renditions of the Fishman Aura system. I have the original Aura Imaging Blender, an Aura Dreadnought Pedal and a Martin DC-28E with Ellipse Aura and a Martin DC-16RE AURA with Onboard Aura. I think the Fishman Aura system is the best live-sound reinforcement guitar pickup/preamp system out there bar none and it's great for recording too!

Although I've been touting Fishman Aura products for a couple of years on this board and others, it seems many players who've never tried a Fishman Aura setup don't want to believe the results that can be obtained from these products. Use an Aura product and gone is the menagerie of dual-pickup systems and outboard EQ pedals and this and that and the other thing! The new Fishman Aura Spectrum looks like the best Aura pedal yet and I'm going to buy one when they become available.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Hi Folks,

The Aura Spectrum DI began shipping last week. Check one out when you get a chance.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM

Is there any good way to hook a volume pedal into one of these?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barbieri View Post
Hi Folks,

The Aura Spectrum DI began shipping last week. Check one out when you get a chance.
I see that it's compatible with soundhole mag pickups. What are your thoughts on how the Spectrum might work with the neck only mag pickup on Taylor's switchable ES equipped guitars? I've considered it as a possibility to acoustify my T5 a bit more.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM

Joe,

the guys a Fishman told me that the T5 and Aura Spectrum DI would not go well together. If I remember correctly, I think he said the sounds would be "unusable." But that's not to say that I won't at least give the combo a try.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshp View Post
Joe,

the guys a Fishman told me that the T5 and Aura Spectrum DI would not go well together. If I remember correctly, I think he said the sounds would be "unusable." But that's not to say that I won't at least give the combo a try.
Ahh..ok cool. I wait for you to try it first then.

I am fine with the current acoustic sound I get from my T5, especially with acoustic strings. I do however like to dabble in enhancement possibilities. Sounds like this would be a long shot.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 AM

I know I´m digging up an old thread here, but are you guys still satisfied with the Aura spectrum DI? Cause I think I´ll be selling mine, I never got it to sound anything but digital....I´ve tried and tried to like it, but it isn´t for me, the martin hd28 with fishman undersaddle straigh to a good ordinary DI is the ticket for me. The Aura just messes up my tone....
Old 05-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinis View Post
I know I´m digging up an old thread here, but are you guys still satisfied with the Aura spectrum DI? Cause I think I´ll be selling mine, I never got it to sound anything but digital....I´ve tried and tried to like it, but it isn´t for me, the martin hd28 with fishman undersaddle straigh to a good ordinary DI is the ticket for me. The Aura just messes up my tone....
As the OP, I still use the Aura Spectrum on every gig I play and now, even more, think it is a great boon to acoustic guitar amplification. But....if you are happy with the sound you get with a regular DI and your pickup, than you're set!

FWIW, in live settings, I never go over 10:00 on the Aura level, at that level, I like the "airiness" that it provides. Also, I spent a lot of time finding the image I liked for each guitar (I found that in the first run through of 16 images, I would NOT like about 10 of them). When I first got the Aura, I did this through an acoustic amp, about 4 months ago, I took an hour on each guitar, and recorded each image plugged into my Zoom H2. I set the eq flat with the Aura level at 12:00. It was very interesting as on 2 guitars, I found images I liked better than the ones I picked almost 2 years ago (!) and on the other 2, the image I originally liked best still won. I should note that I use the Aura on small bodied guitars (I don't own a dread or jumbo), I don't know if that makes a difference. Also, we have a term in the wine business, known as the "house pallet", simply put, you get used to your wine's profile and have a hard time with anything that tastes different. Maybe you have gotten so used to the tone of your guitar with Fishman pickup/DI that anything different is not to your liking.

All that said, I think nothing I wrote matters since you are pleased with the tone you get!!! (which is the ONLY important thing here)

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-06-2011, 02:54 AM

I sold my Spectrum.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM

I really like it and AURA technology aside it is a good DI box. I use it on a Taylor 210e. My partner got a 2011 414ce with the new expression system multi-pickup system and we both think the tone that I get with the AURA Spectrum is very comparable.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:45 AM

The Aura DI is the most indespensable part of my live set up. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinis View Post
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM

I use one 8 shows a week (b'way) and have for the past two years.
It does a nice job of taming the piezo quack. Mix knob at 10 o'clock.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
The Aura DI is the most indespensable part of my live set up. Love it.
I wonder what I was doing wrong.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I wonder what I was doing wrong.
Nothing, I would guess you just don't need it. If you already love your amplified tone the AURA really won't take it to another level. My pickup , the Taylor ES-T is good but not great, by adding the AURA it made it better. I could have installed a fancy pickup system but I am going wait and do that with my next guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification