The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Atomic Reactor FR from an AxeFx Ultra
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Marshall AS100D acoustic amp!

I run acoustics, keyboards, various stringed instruments, bass, and my electric (which I use a LINE 6 POD) and they all sound great!!!

not cheap though!

Matthew A. Klimis, P.A., Realtor
Anclote Key Realty, Inc.
www.anclotekeyrealty.com
Worship Leader
http://www.myspace.com/matthewklimis1
Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Default ..Still Carlos Acoustic Amp....historic series

Well I got the luck some time ago to purchase this Amp with an additional box on the vintage market for 2000 Euro...never had a better system in my life..playing now 40 years guitar...best for Steel Strings and Classics/Flamenco....you don´t need a PA..two stands and ready...this Amp sounds even perfekt for your voice...just plug in a SM 58 perfekt..five channels....we use it often with setups in some clubs her in Berlin...two Guitars/two voices...even Acoustic Bass sometimes....this Amp got unbelievable reserves..you can even use it with your Electrics..or Arch tops...and they are small and light...and perfectly in there size to transport them in professional boxes if are are on tour....

The new Series of Carlos Acoustic Amps are available for a cheaper and fair price..not exclusively build with best wood...but technically identical...but it seems to me that nearly nobody knows them....perhaps because Carlos had enough to do with other jobs for his well known /famous endorsers and no time or interest in further promotion?..
here is a link for those who want to learn more about this amps..
http://www.carlosjuan.eu/shop/produc...products_id=50
I know the AER`s...they can`t reach the Carlos Amps....

Rock on
Joguitar
Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Default AER vs Cub

Has anyone compared the AER conpact 60 to the Cub?
Or the Cub to the Jones Briefcase model. The PJB briefcase model for bass seems to have more features than the Cub. Also are the tone controls on the Cub practical for acoustics? They don't give the frequency ranges in the manual.
Thanks
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 02-05-2010, 11:24 AM

I recently went shopping for an acoustic amp...I have a Guild JF4 with an LR Baggs (active)IBeam,and a Taylor 214 with a SD soundhole p'up.

I wanted something relatively light,at least 60 watts,and with as many 'options' as possible(DI's,effects etc...)-for $600 or less....

I tried the Marshall,and Fender--They seemed to color the sound a bit-

Then I tried the Roland AC90--Very natural,very nice-but almost too clear and crisp(for my liking)

The Acoustic offerings were nice too,especially for the money-But they clipped so soon in the input gain stage- I didnt care for that,and they are heavier than I wanted to deal with--They sounded very nice too.

Then came the Fishman Loudbox 100---It sounded great-very natural,it warmed up nicely,with great bass response (and its soooo small). What I didnt like is that only one onboard efect can be used at the same time. Either reverb or chorus(which isnt all that noticable)...But I suppose thats what effects loops are for. I just want to add my VS H2O...

There was a used GenzBenz shenadoah 100...But it was too cumbersome,and I didnt like the idea of a fan runniing when trying to record etc...But it sounded great ...

There arent any Ultrasound amps around here,so I didnt get to try them...

I went home with the Fishman---Overall it had the best sound,options and weight.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Bill, I've only played thru an AER Compact 60 once and, that was 2 or 3 years ago. It is a great sounding amp and is a more versatile than the Cub. But, in my opinion the Cub is one of the best sounding acoustic amps I've ever tried. For the money, it is an excellent amp. The tone controls on the Cub are more than adequate and it is extemely easy to dial in a great sound with little effort. If you can't tell, I really like this little amp. It works well with all my guitars.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 AM

You guys GOTTA try the Roland AC-33. I mean, it has been out almost a week now.. sheesh ...
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
Bill, I've only played thru an AER Compact 60 once and, that was 2 or 3 years ago. It is a great sounding amp and is a more versatile than the Cub. But, in my opinion the Cub is one of the best sounding acoustic amps I've ever tried. For the money, it is an excellent amp. The tone controls on the Cub are more than adequate and it is extemely easy to dial in a great sound with little effort. If you can't tell, I really like this little amp. It works well with all my guitars.
Thanks, I have an AER 60 and like it for the extra mic input but was curious.
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 PM

Marshall AS100D. Makes any acoustic sing like Sinatra!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 AM

hmm pretty old original post, but I'll put in my $.02

I've owned a Marshall AS50D, Roland AC-60 and a Baggs A-Ref all which I sold. None sounded better than my reference monitors.

For the best dollar to sonic quality ratio, I must give it the marhsall. I mean for the price, it's great. So for the sub $500 amp I have to give it to the marshall, now at or around the $500 price range, I was very impressed with the fishman loudbox 100. Super compact and packed a huge sound. Still haven't been able to audition an ultrasound amp, but for the LONGEST time, it has been hailed as the best bang for the buck amp out there.

how about a PA speaker? I picked up some active 3 way 15" QSC's for my church as our main PA speakers and those sound amazing! Just saw they have these 8" little guys that pack 1,000 watts!! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K8/ should sound great with vocals a well. I vote something like this with a nice preamp. May not be as compact as an AER, Roland or loudbox, but certainly looks compact enough and at 21lbs it's lighter than my baggs a-ref that I had.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 AM

Marshall AS100D.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 AM

AAD CUB AG-100 is one of the best choices for money.
bought around $350 and sound is much more natural than AC-60 or AS50. And plus minimal dimensions and weight. Only is not loud enough for example for playing with drums.
AER 60 is a bit better, but costs 3x more.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM

To the original op. I put a piezo tweeter in a box and attached a cord to plug in the ext. speaker on my guitar amps. This does a good job live if you want to play electric guitar and acoustic through the same amp. I use a Mesa boogie 5:50 when I do this and it sounds wonderful. If you feel the need to sing too; there are many, many cheap PA's out there to sing and plug your acoustic into.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
To the original op. I put a piezo tweeter in a box and attached a cord to plug in the ext. speaker on my guitar amps. This does a good job live if you want to play electric guitar and acoustic through the same amp. I use a Mesa boogie 5:50 when I do this and it sounds wonderful. If you feel the need to sing too; there are many, many cheap PA's out there to sing and plug your acoustic into.
Hi folks...
These last two responses are to a several year old thread. Amps have changed quite a bit since 2009...

Perhaps a new thread would be better if there is a need for you to discuss today's choices.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Fishman Loudbox Mini, best bang for the buck....Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification