The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Hi Kramster,

Exactly. Those are some of my concerns, too.

Maybe Jack will weigh in here on the issue of vertical dispersion, in venues where the BagAmp cannot be placed at ear level for all audience members.
Me? Weigh in?... Dunno... I'm pretty shy.

1. The taller the array the more pronounced the "array effect" of widened horizontal dispersion and narrowed vertical dispersion.

2. Ditto for the narrower the aspect ratio. This is different than physical height.

3. Also in play here is the complicating fact that smaller drivers produce wider dispersion patterns than larger drivers.

Crazily, you could stack four two-foot speakers vertically and technically call it an 8-foot high line array. However, the aspect ratio of the array would only be 4:1. The array effect would be minimal.

Alternately, you could stack 48 two-inch (full range) drivers to get the same 8-foot array height. But, your aspect ratio would then be 24:1, and the line array effect would be as near-perfect as you'll ever achieve in real life.

In this case, "near perfect" means the top of the upper driver would define a horizontal plane above which nearly no sound was projected. The bottom driver would also define the lower limit horizontal plane, below which effectively no sound would propagate. And, to the sides, SPL drop at 180-degrees would be negligible -- virtually the same as dead center, on-axis.

With the first example -- four two-foot drivers -- mostly none of that occurs, and you'd still essentially have a point source loudspeaker system, with a spherical drop off pattern in SPL, generally the same SPL drop off vertically and horizontally.

So, given that array height and array aspect ratio impact the dispersion characteristics, those engineering decisions define the way the product eventually performs in real life.

Bose chose a super tall and very narrow aspect ratio approach, and the L1 behaves that way: a super tight array effect -- ultra wide, with eerily chopped output above and below the end drivers... creating a 6-foot tall "slice" of sound going out at an audience. Anyone whose ears are within that vertical 6-foot space will hear a near-perfect 3dB SPL drop per doubling of distance effect of a line array. Anyone whose ears are above the top of the slice or below the bottom of the slice will hear virtually nothing. Really.

Go to store selling the L1, turn it on, walk away and stick your head above and below the "slice" and hear this for yourself. It's truly weird. Where'd the sound go?

Fishman chose to use a much shorter array with wider drivers, and then plop a tweeter in the middle that decouples the top three drivers from the bottom three drivers. While there's no published and agreed definition for this, I don't consider anything under an 8:1 aspect ratio as a line array, as the effect is minimal. The SA220 has a pair of closely located arrays (one above and below the tweeter) of about 2.5:1 aspect ratio -- very nearly a couple of simple point source loudspeaker systems. So, there is very little array effect at play. The wider horizontal dispersion of the product mostly results from simply using small drivers, not from an array effect. Go figure.

In deciding the physical approach to the BagAmp, I wanted to avoid the tunnel like effect of a near-perfect array (Bose), but still benefit from some substantial throw improvement that a line array can create. So, I compromised by using eight three-inch drivers, for an array height of about 26-inches with a width of 3-inches, for an aspect ratio of about 8.5:1 or so.

So, BagAmp is intentionally not a super aggressive line array design. Why?

I don't want people to have to "aim" my product in situations where some people may be a little above the top driver or below the bottom driver. I wanted a set it up and just use it sort of product. The result is much better than a point source speaker's throw, but without the sci-fi level tweekiness of the Bose array "slice." I consider the L1 effect too much of a good thing for most real-world small venues. There *will* be heads above and below that perfect six foot high slice of sound in many coffee houses, small clubs, juke joints, auditoriums, ballrooms, etc.

So, that's the poop on why and how on the line array effect with the three products in discussion. I left out the L1 Compact, as it twists (rotates) the drivers, breaking the plane of projection, and isn't a line array at all. It, like the Fishman, benefits in slightly wider than typical dispersion simply by using small drivers.

And, of course since I don't have a Ph.D. in acoustic engineering (by one poster's implications), you can accept or reject any of this as you see fit.

Last edited by aboutjack; 01-20-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Well, Jack, thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write all of that. I, for one, find it extremely interesting and informative.

Sounds to me like your "compromise" decision on the BagAmp's design is sensible and well-considered, given the physics of line arrays you have explained, and the intended application of the BagAmp in relatively small venues, with audiences who won't necessarily be "staying put" either horizontally or vertically!

Thanks again.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Well, Jack, thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write all of that. I, for one, find it extremely interesting and informative.

Sounds to me like your "compromise" decision on the BagAmp's design is sensible and well-considered, given the physics of line arrays you have explained, and the intended application of the BagAmp in relatively small venues, with audiences who won't necessarily be "staying put" either horizontally or vertically!

Thanks again.
As with any audio product, the result is merely the manifestation of the design decisions made early in the process. Line arrays are tricky beasts... just ask any pro sound guy who does architectural arrays (churches, auditoriums, public spaces, etc.) and he'll quickly verify the complexities and trade offs involved.

Perhaps the clearest example of how implementation of an array impacts the dispersion behavior is a church with a balcony. In these facilities you typically see two sets of arrays -- one set is about the height of the ground floor seating area, tall enough to catch the tallest ears in the back. The other is separated a bit, above those units, and mates to the listening height needed to cover the ears in the balcony -- basically two separate vertical line arrays to cover one room.

Super long and narrow arrays like that really do put out almost no sound above the tallest driver and below the lowest driver. "Slice" is the best word I have found to convey the thought.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

I for one would be very interested in BA or SA type system with no verb,eq, or FX . Just clean amp to speakers . So as to use my relatively nice outboard front end .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I for one would be very interested in BA or SA type system with no verb,eq, or FX . Just clean amp to speakers . So as to use my relatively nice outboard front end .
+1! Basically, just an active speaker array that can take a good hot full signal from an outboard front-end stocked with quality gear. As they say on the street, "It don't get any better than that!"

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-21-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 PM

Jack, I just want to add my voice thanking you for the extensive explanation of all these systems. I have to admit that much of it is over my head... but its finally starting to make sense.

The only problem with all this information is that its giving me some serious "AAS." Dang, another thing to save up money for. I'm really looking forward to hearing your BA when it comes out at Robb's in nearby Boulder. Till then, smooth travels and thanks again!
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Great explainin' Jack.. thanks.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Looking on your site at the pic for the BA sub, Jack, it looks like it's designed to serve as a base for the BA tower, correct? It appears a mounting post is included with the sub. IOW, you wouldn't use the tripod when coupling with a sub cab?

I could see where a couple of those assemblies would serve well as a conventional FOH PA system.
2010 Godin Grand Concert Ambiance
2003 Godin Grand Concert SA MIDI-Classic
1995 Custom Turner Renaissance MIDI-Classic
2004 Yamaha CGX-171SCF Electric-Flamenco
1972 Alvarez-Yairi 5032 Classic
1989 Custom Vlado Proskurniak Hybrid Flamenco-Classic
2002 Ibanez PM-100 (Pat Metheny model)
2004 Custom Filomino Strat-clone
Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Default Correction regarding height of the Bose L1® Model I and Model II Line arrays

The Bose L1® Model I and Model II Cylindrical Radiators are closer to 7 feet than 6.

Model I is 83" (6 feet 11 inches) Source: L1® Model I

Model II is 84" (7 feet) Source: L1® Model II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutjack View Post
Me? Weigh in?... Dunno... I'm pretty shy.

1. The taller the array the more pronounced the "array effect" of widened horizontal dispersion and narrowed vertical dispersion.

2. Ditto for the narrower the aspect ratio. This is different than physical height.

3. Also in play here is the complicating fact that smaller drivers produce wider dispersion patterns than larger drivers.

Crazily, you could stack four two-foot speakers vertically and technically call it an 8-foot high line array. However, the aspect ratio of the array would only be 4:1. The array effect would be minimal.

Alternately, you could stack 48 two-inch (full range) drivers to get the same 8-foot array height. But, your aspect ratio would then be 24:1, and the line array effect would be as near-perfect as you'll ever achieve in real life.

In this case, "near perfect" means the top of the upper driver would define a horizontal plane above which nearly no sound was projected. The bottom driver would also define the lower limit horizontal plane, below which effectively no sound would propagate. And, to the sides, SPL drop at 180-degrees would be negligible -- virtually the same as dead center, on-axis.

With the first example -- four two-foot drivers -- mostly none of that occurs, and you'd still essentially have a point source loudspeaker system, with a spherical drop off pattern in SPL, generally the same SPL drop off vertically and horizontally.

So, given that array height and array aspect ratio impact the dispersion characteristics, those engineering decisions define the way the product eventually performs in real life.

Bose chose a super tall and very narrow aspect ratio approach, and the L1 behaves that way: a super tight array effect -- ultra wide, with eerily chopped output above and below the end drivers... creating a 6-foot tall "slice" of sound going out at an audience. Anyone whose ears are within that vertical 6-foot space will hear a near-perfect 3dB SPL drop per doubling of distance effect of a line array. Anyone whose ears are above the top of the slice or below the bottom of the slice will hear virtually nothing. Really.

Go to store selling the L1, turn it on, walk away and stick your head above and below the "slice" and hear this for yourself. It's truly weird. Where'd the sound go?

Fishman chose to use a much shorter array with wider drivers, and then plop a tweeter in the middle that decouples the top three drivers from the bottom three drivers. While there's no published and agreed definition for this, I don't consider anything under an 8:1 aspect ratio as a line array, as the effect is minimal. The SA220 has a pair of closely located arrays (one above and below the tweeter) of about 2.5:1 aspect ratio -- very nearly a couple of simple point source loudspeaker systems. So, there is very little array effect at play. The wider horizontal dispersion of the product mostly results from simply using small drivers, not from an array effect. Go figure.

In deciding the physical approach to the BagAmp, I wanted to avoid the tunnel like effect of a near-perfect array (Bose), but still benefit from some substantial throw improvement that a line array can create. So, I compromised by using eight three-inch drivers, for an array height of about 26-inches with a width of 3-inches, for an aspect ratio of about 8.5:1 or so.

So, BagAmp is intentionally not a super aggressive line array design. Why?

I don't want people to have to "aim" my product in situations where some people may be a little above the top driver or below the bottom driver. I wanted a set it up and just use it sort of product. The result is much better than a point source speaker's throw, but without the sci-fi level tweekiness of the Bose array "slice." I consider the L1 effect too much of a good thing for most real-world small venues. There *will* be heads above and below that perfect six foot high slice of sound in many coffee houses, small clubs, juke joints, auditoriums, ballrooms, etc.

So, that's the poop on why and how on the line array effect with the three products in discussion. I left out the L1 Compact, as it twists (rotates) the drivers, breaking the plane of projection, and isn't a line array at all. It, like the Fishman, benefits in slightly wider than typical dispersion simply by using small drivers.

And, of course since I don't have a Ph.D. in acoustic engineering (by one poster's implications), you can accept or reject any of this as you see fit.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Photo of BagAmp booth at NAMM.

Jenn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennconducts/4293965797/
Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Like a Bose L1?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ST- View Post
The Bose L1® Model I and Model II Cylindrical Radiators are closer to 7 feet than 6.

Model I is 83" (6 feet 11 inches) Source: L1® Model I

Model II is 84" (7 feet) Source: L1® Model II
Hmmm.. Good point, ST.. And when I gig, there are not many 7 footers in the audience.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 AM

With the "big" Boses the 24 wee speakers go from about 10 inches to 7 feet so the very short and very tall get some easy enough.
The Compact with it speakers all up high yet all angle this way and that a wee-er person should be about 10 feet away from the tower to get it all. Or what I have done (though not recomended by Bose), ues one extension or even none.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification