The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Default <$200 pickup . . which one

Looking for a pickup system for a little Larrivee OM 03.
I'm looking for the most "mic-like" sound for live performance. 50% finger style, 50% light to medium strumming. I have a Baggs Para DI to if needed.
thanks,
Dan

PS. I really like hearing the nuances and chime of this acoustic guitar.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 AM

I don't know what to suggest, but if you decide you want an i-beam active I have one, barely used, that I should sell. (Didn't get a chance to decide if i liked it or not, as the guitar I bought it for had problems and had to be returned.)
Old 05-16-2005, 07:08 AM

I would go with the K&K pure western. I've used it in a couple of guitars and I'll be adding one to my new Larry OM-3r.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 AM

You might look into the Fishman Ellipse Blender units. That actually has a mic on a gooseneck that you can blend with a under-saddle pick-up.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Default K&K...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankayaker
Looking for a pickup system for a little Larrivee OM 03.
I'm looking for the most "mic-like" sound for live performance.
Hi...
This is a K&K recommendation. I have a dual source K&K rig installed in my Bashkin, and am switching the Olson to it this summer.

It is more expensive than $200, but if you like the chime and nuances...you'll be able to get the chime with many pickups, just not the nuances. Your best shot is with a dual source rig.

You could try the K&K Pure Western alone and then add the mic later. I'd recommend the mini as the Pure Western full sized is very bassy...controllable, but overpowering bass. The mini is better balanced even on Dreadnaughts (especially on Dreds). Actually, now that I think of it, with OM the only choice is the mini because of the smaller bridge plate.

The first two K&Ks I heard in person were on a Larrivee OMs. Both were superb.

The first was with just the Pure Western mini played straight into an UltraSound AG-50 with no preamp for a solo concert. It made a Rosewood/Adirondack sound like a Rosewood/Cedar topped guitar, which is not bad for fingerstyling at all.

The second was in my living room - again through a K&K pocket blender (my description) and then through my Raven PMB-I blender, and an UltraSound AG-50 amp. Both were mini, and both were glued in...I've heard some that are taped in, and they sound thin.

My luthier assured me that if he can remove the bridge of my Olson and reset it without hurting the guitar he can get those ''three little foil pieces'' off of the bridge plate with zero damage to it.

It sold me on the K&Ks for personal use, and I altered the direction of the pickup for my Bashkin which was under construction at the time. This made my luthier very happy...the K&K is non-invasive, and sounds better than the iBeam (blatant personal opinion based on experience).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 05-16-2005 at 07:29 AM. Reason: oh, normal errors...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:49 AM

The Fishman Elipse was one of the favored ones in the AG mag pickup shootout. My choice would be the Baggs i-mix.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 AM

1. K&K Pure Western Mini
2. I-beam
3. PUTW #27

All are in your price range, and all sound very good for pick ups. You'll most likely be happy with any of the three. My personal preference is for the K&K.

I keep reading claims abgout magnetic pickups souding more natural, but they continue to sound magnetic to me. I've never cared for the the sound of any piezo UST I've heard. Your ears may be different.

Good luck,

David
Old 05-16-2005, 10:41 AM

I have to say that I am very enthusiastically pleased with the LR Baggs iMix system. I have it installed in both my 714-LTD and my LKSM and it's the best thing I've ever used and I've been playing live a good long time.
From your post it seems we have very similar playing styles.

RK Music (you can find them on Google) has the best price I've seen yet and have ordered 3 systems from them. Drop me an email and I'll give you their price as I'm sure it would be inappropriate to post it here.
It's below your target price w/shipping!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM

You can hear lots of pickups at http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

Fran
Old 05-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Are you installing the pickup system yourself? If so, either of the systems below fall into your price bracket.

I like the iMix as well. I have the onboard version in my Taylor and have owned the non-invasive version.

I like the B-Band A2.2 just as well and it's a few dollars less. I have purchased and installed several of these systems (no soldering required!). They are coming out with retrofits for the Fishman onboard systems. I'm waiting for them to release the system that replaces the Fishman small footprint model.

I also have purchased from RKmusicstore.com several times. You need to call them to get their lowest price.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 05-16-2005, 03:56 PM

I have a schlerter bluestick in my j-45 gibby that sounds pretty good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification