The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-04-2021, 06:48 AM

Default Steel String Player looking for advice between several Cordoba guitars

I have been playing steel string guitars for 40 plus years. I have had several inexpensive Yamaha classical guitars and played around with finger picking but was never at all serious about it. I would now like to seriously expand my ability to play some fingerstyle songs for church and other events. I am more interested in fingerstyle than playing traditional classical arrangements. I am looking at several Cordoba guitars and cannot decide between the them. The first is the Orchestra CE. With the 48mm radiused neck it seems like a natural choice. The other guitar I'm interest in is the C7 CE. It has the 50mm nut width with a flat fingerboard, but in some of my reading many people feel the mahogany backed guitars sound better. The third guitar I am looking at is the C9 Crossover. It upgrades to all solid woods and if I were to want to play it through a PA systems I would have to add a pickup (maybe a K&K???). Looking for any advice as I'm sure there are others who have made a similar decision. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:34 PM

Default Happy with my Choices

I just bought the Cordoba Orchestra CE and the C10 crossover (because it is all solid and I wanted a cedar top and a spruce top.) My ears can not tell the difference in sound....as yet anyway. I might give the Orchestra a 10 and the C10 crossover a 9 (I just think the cedar top on the Orchestra is better looking) on the ten scale. It is curious how many think the C9 is a better choice, but I went for the rosewood, at a higher cost.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a Cordoba. When I was shopping online for used one I eventually bought new, no one was selling theirs. That's a statement in itself. Many chatting here, not me, have more than 5 Cordobas.

I love to hear my Cordobas resonate; the Orchestra will resonate at least 7 seconds on a single note played. If a machine could tell you which guitar was better, the measure of time a note resonates would be a factor to weigh a rating. That's why my Orchestra also earns a 10 rating.
2021 Cordoba C9 Parlor Cedar Top
Cordoba Dolce
Old 01-07-2021, 07:31 AM

FWIW, I have the C10 crossover. Love it.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:48 PM

I decided to go with the Orchestra CE and it arrived today. After letting it warm up for 6 hours (I'm in PA and it was about 40 degrees when it was delivered) I got it out, tuned it up and gave the neck a small tweak. I am really thrilled by this guitar. It is so much more fun trying to learn fingerstyle with this guitar. The neck width is wider and feels good, but it is not so wide that it is daunting to play. And it is absolutely gorgeous! I was hesitant because $850 is an investment, but it's a great guitar and worth the price. I broke down and bought an SKB case for it as well. I can't wait to plug it into my Fishman loudbox and hear how it sound.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

The Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra CE is a decent crossover. Under $1k with case.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:40 PM

I bought a Cordoba C-10 cedar and was so impressed I bought another one, a spruce top. They are really impressive guitars. The intonation is quite good, as the workmanship. I also have a Ramirez 1A which is a notch above the Cordoba's but cost 5x as much. Also have two steel strings but my go to guitars are the Cordoba's. The only drawback for the Ramirez is the 54 mm width at the nut. But I love all my guitars. The music I like to play includes classical, Blues, Pop and Ragtime.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical