The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2020, 12:58 PM

Default Where I am at

Well around this time I was supposed to try some lessons, obviously that is not going to happen anytime soon now.I have no oversight. So this is where I am at:

So I picked up a guitar 4 or 5 months ago, it was POS so I tried some new ones and settled on a Seagull S6...world of difference. With the new one I got back on track in Feb.

Currently I am learning all of the open chords from Tabs and fretboard diagrams. Having some difficult with fingering F and I think Bm and a couple of others. I think I would score around 70% if I did a test. Got F#m down

Starting to work through common open chord progressions. This I am trying to memorize. Not ready for a test here yet. But I am getting a feel which ones seem to go natural together.

Learning a few relatively easy strumming songs (no solos or single notes), one or two I can play start to finish: Ball and Chain, Used to lover her. Although I make mistakes with timing. Working on some others...bits and pieces of them anyway.

Many mornings over coffee before work I study theory (no guitar in hand), so I understand how the major scales are derived, I can put them down on paper, but are not memorized (other than C). I have not bothered with minor scales. I can also fill out the treble staff with all of the notes middle C and up with appropriate scale. Currently getting a basic understanding of how triads are formed, and chords in general, working on understanding how some are major and others are minor or diminished. Source: Internet and youtube.

Not bothering memorizing single notes on the fretboard yet, but can work them out from open upwards on individual strings, understanding wwhwwwh

Learning how to figure out the key of random songs I am interested in and give a go at figuring out what the progression is and the arrangement and then checking my work with tabs and other online progression...so far about 90% on these. I use the open strings initially to figure this out. Still cant pick out single notes by ear yet. But I can generally tell if half or whole steps. Octaves mess me up. If you play the notes in standard sequence from root on up I can generally tell if it sounds "right"

Thats about it...am I on the right track?
Old 03-25-2020, 02:00 PM

When I started learning in 1965 we didnt have the resources available with todays technology.I had a Mel Bay book and a record player.My parents wouldnt spring for lessons so that was all I had.Are you on the right track? In my opinion,yes.Use what is available and learn all you can,stuff that doesnt make sense right now will come together later when you can get out for some lessons.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Hey Cantplankwell (whatever that means ),

Yes, you are definitely on track!

Regarding your timing issues, try a metronome at a very slow tempo where you make no mistakes, and then gradually increase between 3 and 5 beats per minute.

Memorize your 1-4-5 chord progressions in E, A, C, G and D and you can play thousands of songs blues and rock songs by listening hard for the changes on recordings. Nothing wrong with tab or chord charts, but you will remember it much easier if you make an attempt to work it out on your own before looking it up.

Learn the minor second and sixth chords in each of those keys and you've got thousands more. You already know F# minor which works in E as the minor second and in A as the minor 6th. Keep struggling with those bar chords, progress isn't linear, one day you will be playing them cleaning without even realizing it.

Don't be afraid to use a capo if you are singing and having trouble in any given key, but also try transposing to other keys to develop your ear.

If finger picking interests you go for it sooner rather than later, there is no reason not to strum and pick.

Justinguitar.com wasn't around when I was in your shoes, but he gets high marks and has a lot of free materials. But definitely look into lessons when possible. I wish I had started 40 lessons years sooner than I did!

You have already gotten past the point where most people give up. Now the fun starts
Old 03-25-2020, 02:41 PM

I'll second reeve21 on the having fun thing. I remember getting super frustrated when I was learning about 100 years ago. I struggled with the F and bm chords but they came along with a little practice. I'm way impressed at your direction and dedication. I'm glad you're incorporating songs into your practice sessions. That is how I really learned was by fumbling through songs I really wanted to learn and developing the skills to do so. Playing guitar is so satisfying and wish the best to you in your journey. Kent
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

4 or 5 months ? Looks to me as if you are doing really well ! Learning to play guitar (everyone struggles with Bm and F) and learning notation!

Another couple of months of self isolation, and you should be an expert!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write