The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 AM

Default Cajun/Zydeco Fingerstyle

I got sucked into the Big Easy last night, one of my favorite movies, and it made me think: I've never come across any good (or bad for that matter) Cajun or Zydeco fingerstyle interpretations. I searched for some time and found a weakly described Mel Bay book on Amazon and promptly ordered it since I've experienced too much social distancing with my Amazon delivery driver lately.

Just wondering if anyone out there is aware of any good Cajun or Zydeco versions that they could share.

Thanks.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple friends who have enjoyed Zydeco for years, so I've listened to a fair amount, but never tried to adapt it to fingerstyle guitar. If you searched, you may have found what I did... an Active Melody lesson where Brian is using a flatpick, but that could be adapted to fingerstyle.

Here's a site for Cajun/Zydeco guitar that might help. The AGF doesn't feature much of this style, but here is a short discussion about Cajun rhythm. Here's a site about the music itself. A page on Zydeco. And another. Here's another flatpicked Youtube on Cajun rhythm...

And another...

My exposure to Zydeco agrees with what Wade said in the AGF thread linked above. It's not really about the guitar. I hear more accordion, violin, washboards, etc. It's somewhat loud, rhythmic dance music, so I've never thought about fingerstyle, acoustic guitar. Electric guitar or amplified acoustic may fit better, but I see no reason you couldn't adapt a fingerstyle "boom-chuck" pattern to some of the electric or flatpicked examples above.

Maybe some others will chime in, but I encourage you to listen to the music and use your own creativity to adapt it to fingerstyle. Best of luck...
Old 03-26-2020, 07:52 AM

Good one to ya!

Check out Sonny Landreth. I just love this guy!

Here is the link to "Next of Kindred Spirits", one of my favs. Also the CD "South of I-10".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvoRdTGNUFk

Also must watch is "Congo Square". I believe this guy will blow you away.

Best to y'all.
D
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 AM

I've played C/Z in bar bands for many years. Authenticity relates to different instrument configurations and the two styles are fairly different from each other. When I'm playing alone I sometimes play some of the Cajun standards as flatpicked guitar, and some of the Creole Zydeco tunes work, although they work better played on clawhammer banjo IMHO.

I'm sure Cajun waltzes such as Jolie Blonde could be played finger style fairly easily.

If you want to finger-pick C/Z it's best to listen to a bunch and play along to get the feel for the wide range of rhythm that encompasses the genres. Try out Cedric Watson's Cochon De Lait for example of a tune that can be flat-picked or adapted to clawhammer banjo. (This version has clawhammer banjo as the backup instrument).

https://youtu.be/QZVc5Oh60_I

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-26-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
Good one to ya!

Check out Sonny Landreth. I just love this guy!

Here is the link to "Next of Kindred Spirits", one of my favs. Also the CD "South of I-10".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvoRdTGNUFk

Also must watch is "Congo Square". I believe this guy will blow you away.

Best to y'all.
D
Wow, how does he do that?!! At times I can't figure out which strings he's sliding on and which strings he's fretting--sometimes behind the slide!? And the right hand ring finger picking! And holding down the 6th string with his right hand index finger whilst thumb-picking it...crazy!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I've had Sonny Landreth's South of I-10 in my car for years and just love what he does.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if something like this is what you had in mind. There's a guy named Corey Seznec, who has a couple of instructional DVD's with Stefan Grosman's Guitar Workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ItdJZR9VE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write