The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Having just recently come off the finisher picture drought stage - it was maddening!! But the heightened anticipation enhances the big reveal! This one is going to look great!
Has yours arrived yet, Steve? Waiting for it to be delivered has got to be the worst. I hope you give us some more pictures when it gets home, and maybe a sound clip or two. I'm going to try to talk Steve K. into posting a sound clip of mine before it's delivered to me - that would give a better impression than if I try to do it myself.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Has yours arrived yet, Steve? Waiting for it to be delivered has got to be the worst. I hope you give us some more pictures when it gets home, and maybe a sound clip or two. I'm going to try to talk Steve K. into posting a sound clip of mine before it's delivered to me - that would give a better impression than if I try to do it myself.
Hasn’t arrived yet, but should ship sometime next week. I like the idea if Steve and Ryan posting a sound clip before it ships - I’m way too self conscious to post my own - so if you’re reading this Ryan and Steve......
Old 09-16-2018, 09:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
...I'm going to try to talk Steve K. into posting a sound clip of mine before it's delivered to me - that would give a better impression than if I try to do it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
...I like the idea if Steve and Ryan posting a sound clip before it ships - I’m way too self conscious to post my own - so if you’re reading this Ryan and Steve......
Sure. You guys have any requests? Actually, I've been working up some authentic Pete Townshend licks. I don't get quite the air he gets--or got--but I can smash with the best of them. What say?

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Hmmm. I've heard redwood has more headroom than cedar, but I don't think I want a graphic demonstration. You haven't forgotten "Stairway to Heaven" have you? Something celestial, anyway. TomB'sox promised me I would hear angels singing in this guitar.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here’s some pics from the farewell to the guitar spa.

A shot with the neck and fretboard inlay and bridge.

And all taped up, ready for finish.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-18-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. I've heard redwood has more headroom than cedar, but I don't think I want a graphic demonstration. You haven't forgotten "Stairway to Heaven" have you? Something celestial, anyway. TomB'sox promised me I would hear angels singing in this guitar.
Oh yes, a celestial choir can be expected, of course, a little wee bit of that is the player, but I know you got it in you!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Oh yes, a celestial choir can be expected, of course, a little wee bit of that is the player, but I know you got it in you!
At this point Steve has more celestial choirs at his fingertips, for demonstration purposes. I promise to share it with everyone as soon as I can make this baby sing!

So this guitar is getting close enough for me to start getting ready for it, as best I can. I have been concentrating lately on playing blues and bluegrass, but I don't intend to play those styles on this guitar at all - it is a finger-style guitar, and that's what I want to use it for. Right now I play a few songs finger-style, mostly rough Travis-picking, and only a handful of what might be called true finger-style arrangements. I have to get to work!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 AM

I'm going to hijack my own thread for a minute and post my current arsenal:

So as you see I'm really set for blues or bluegrass, for folk style strumming, for rainy days, plugging in, filling in the bass and treble. My Middlebrook OM is the best all-rounder and the new one might fill that niche well enough, but I have been instructed by the boss not to sell the OM, Steve and Ryan will be happy to know. My new Kinnaird will be, I like to imagine, the one Segovia would choose if he chose to play a steel string.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

We’ve started to fret if this thing will ever get done (or we have to fret?). Anyway, pics.

Thanks.

Last edited by nacluth; 09-21-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I'm going to hijack my own thread for a minute and post my current arsenal:

So as you see I'm really set for blues or bluegrass, for folk style strumming, for rainy days, plugging in, filling in the bass and treble. My Middlebrook OM is the best all-rounder and the new one might fill that niche well enough, but I have been instructed by the boss not to sell the OM, Steve and Ryan will be happy to know. My new Kinnaird will be, I like to imagine, the one Segovia would choose if he chose to play a steel string.
Nice collection Stan, it about to get even better. I probably should recognize the headstocks of the first two on the left, but don't? I got all the others!
Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 PM

I hope you get to play them someday, Tom, but let's not discuss the competition in this Kinnaird thread. I've already highjacked this thread too much!

How 'bout them golden position markers to match the gold frets? Pretty snazzy. Ryan likes them so much he posted the same picture twice.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

So I did. Corrected now.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neck carving day.

Rough shaping the neck.

Checking the cross section.

Ready for final clean up.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:56 PM

Looking good. That's a cool tool in the second picture!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Looking good. That's a cool tool in the second picture!
When I was a kid, my dad got me one of those metal pin boards where you could stick your hand in one side and get a 3D relief...or maybe the side of your face...or anything else a young boy would like to capture until your parents made you shake it back flush. This tool is like the Luddite 2D version of that, just way more useful for this task instead of making tongue mountains.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop