The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-05-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yes - whenever I hear/read someone new to electric where the interest is peaked, something is going right with the amp. For home use I would stick with what you have, but if you insist on upgrading don’t miss out on a fat, colourful midrange which is the heart and soul of electric and can be appreciated at low volume for home use when necessary. I would go tweed champ handwired EC or something similar - blackface scooped midrange is a one trick pony at low volume and in my opinion a waste of money for home use.
I really like what you say about a 'colorful midrange.' I never knew that but I had always considered myself a mid.range type player. What you are saying is I can look forward to being that type of player on an electric. Sounds good to me.!! But I do love big electric bass notes and sometimes a little rumble. It can be a lot more fun than playing an acoustic.

RevRoy .... Take that thing and play a noise no one ever has. Wow.... The potential. Make it your own.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:35 AM

this is just a on the cheap opinion, if you get a chance try one out used if you find one, the vox ADxxVT, i doubt youll find a bad review anywhere and they go dirt cheap, the 30 bout $50 and the 50 about $100, probably the most tube sounding SS youll find, the tube is used in the preamp output section, what nice is the effects work in either channel,, with a bypass option, what im saying is- you can play channel 1 clean, switch to reverb, delay, wah- etc, or jump to channel 2 with OD or whatever, built to last like and the old peavey TKO series, course the old peaveys can fall off a truck, be left out in the rain and still work
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-07-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Been purely an acoustic player...until now. Recently welcomed the first electric to my tiny herd. Pulled the trigger on this American Professional Stratocaster- Sienna Sunburst. At 68 I may have set a record for the oldest guy to buy his first electric.

Looking forward to exploring the broad tonal pallet electrics offer. Bought a beginner amp with plenty of modeling effects - Fender Champion 50XL. So far I’m loving it...though I suspect a tube amp is not far in my future.

Good for you sir! I will probably follow in your footsteps some day. My heart is more on the acoustic side of the house, but I think that it is inevitable that most will have both at some point.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-09-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post

It's a Corolla. Could be worse - could be an MG Midget.
Wow - to even think about an MG Midget - you must be somewhat - mature, is that the word?
Old 03-09-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
So now that I’ve taken my first step into the electric world I see that even a routine NGD thread quickly devolves into a spirited debate about amps and pedals. No wonder I’m hearing the sirens call to hop down that expensive rabbit hole myself.
It is indeed a rabbit hole my friend!

Wait until you buy a Tele or a Les Paul! Even an ES-335 could change life as you know it! Ok, I'm kidding more than anything. But, there are so many different electric guitars out there and each sounds better depending on the brand amp you have.

So, think about a Les Paul. You can't have a Les Paul without a Marshall, and you can't have a Tele without a Vox or Dr Z! See where this is going?
Old 03-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm afraid thar 'lectrics, esp solids, do nothing for me, but the hat is way cool!
Old 04-04-2020, 06:00 AM

I have to say that your taste in guitars is impeccable.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:14 AM

Nice strat! You wear it well.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

OT: I've been thinking about maybe getting a Vox amplug. How do you like it?
I have the "classic rock" model. I would not say it sounds great, but it works very well for practicing. It has a line in so you can patch in the tune you are playing along with or your metronome or whatever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars