The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-02-2023, 06:10 AM

Default Ken Bruen

The Christmas before we went to Scotland and Ireland for two weeks my wife gave me three books from Irish author Ken Bruen. Hard core noir crime fiction starring disgraced Galway Guard Jack Taylor. Very unusual prose style and violent, gritty plot lines.

Taylor is a sodden philosopher frighting demons and deeds. Took a bit of getting used to the style of writing but well worth it.

Currently reading The Guards, first in the series of 16 books.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
The Christmas before we went to Scotland and Ireland for two weeks my wife gave me three books from Irish author Ken Bruen. Hard core noir crime fiction starring disgraced Galway Guard Jack Taylor. Very unusual prose style and violent, gritty plot lines.

Taylor is a sodden philosopher frighting demons and deeds. Took a bit of getting used to the style of writing but well worth it.

Currently reading The Guards, first in the series of 16 books.
Any relation to the 2011 Brendan Gleeson film? Although he's not disgraced as such. Stuff going on below the surface though.

Great movie, by the way.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Any relation to the 2011 Brendan Gleeson film? Although he's not disgraced as such. Stuff going on below the surface though.

Great movie, by the way.

I donít know for sure but Iím thinking not. One of the Premium streaming services had a brief Jack Taylor limited series. Saw an episode or two. Very darkÖ
Old 10-02-2023, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I donít know for sure but Iím thinking not. One of the Premium streaming services had a brief Jack Taylor limited series. Saw an episode or two. Very darkÖ
Acorn has a 3-episode series called Jack Taylor.

I havenít watched it, but based on this threadlet, Iíve added it to our list.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-03-2023, 06:01 AM

Funny, I actually watched the first episode last night. True to the tone of the book. Did not disappoint.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
A new novel by one of my favorite contemporary authors:

Roughly 1/4 into this book.
Love it so far.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:42 AM

Default Executive Breakfast

I've pointed out this book before. If you were involved in corporate pursuits in your career, this one rings true. Funny and poignant. https://www.amazon.com/EXECUTIVE-BREAKFAST-Stan-Bricke/dp/B0BP45VTBS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2V9SXLCQYT157&keywords=executive+b reakfast&qid=1699029500&sprefix=%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-1[/URL]
Old 11-03-2023, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Just finished two good ones!

"Without Getting Killed or Caught: The Life and Music of Guy Clark" by Tamara Saviano.

Now, I've long been aware of Guy's songs and stature, but I wouoldn't have called me any sort "fanboy", leastways not before reading this book! Excellent, and from the descriptions of the various recordings of his, I just bought a wonderful CD that has both "Boats to Build" and "Dublin Blues" - and they are excellent records, as well!

"Lessons in Chemistry"... currently pretty popular, I guess, but I was skeptical... needlessly, it turns out. Wonderful book, touching a lot of different moments and emotions...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-03-2023, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I just finished reading Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice." We've both read this before, but it was fun reading it aloud and talking to each other about Jane Austen's insight.

We are now reading "The Warden" by Anthony Trollope. It is not as easy to read aloud as Jane Austen.

Before we read "Pride & Prejudice" we read "Middlemarch" by George Eliot. We thought "Middlemarch" was quite good.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-03-2023 at 11:49 PM. Reason: as
Old 11-04-2023, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
My wife and I just finished reading Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice." We've both read this before, but it was fun reading it aloud and talking to each other about Jane Austen's insight.

We are now reading "The Warden" by Anthony Trollope. It is not as easy to read aloud as Jane Austen.

Before we read "Pride & Prejudice" we read "Middlemarch" by George Eliot. We thought "Middlemarch" was quite good.

- Glenn
I agree, Glenn. My last term teaching I taught an Austen seminar. It was fun rereading her novels.

I used to teach Middlemarch, which is perhaps one of the best novels of its time. But I stopped a decade back because my students rebelled against long novels!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-05-2023, 12:06 PM

Just finished Mr. Polly by HG Wells. It's totally different from what we think of from this author. Not sci fi or futuristic at all. About a man's life that transforms from a very dreary place in his soul to a beautiful ending.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
I agree, Glenn. My last term teaching I taught an Austen seminar. It was fun rereading her novels.

I used to teach Middlemarch, which is perhaps one of the best novels of its time. But I stopped a decade back because my students rebelled against long novels!
Hi Jim,

I think one of the best Dickens novels that we have read is "Bleak House." We just thought it was really good, but it is certainly long. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte is another really good book.

My wife and I both are appreciating books we would not have been drawn to when we were younger. I hate to say that "youth is wasted on the young" because we both certainly enjoyed our youth. But age does bring some wisdom and, I think, a search for more.

At the same time, in "Middlemarch" there were some passages in there that just about made me want to scream. I think an editor today would never have allowed some of that stuff. But... we read around it and dealt with it sans any screaming.

Nice to read your reply Jim!

- Glenn
Old 11-05-2023, 12:49 PM

From GlenWwllow: My wife and I both are appreciating books we would not have been drawn to when we were younger. I hate to say that "youth is wasted on the young" because we both certainly enjoyed our youth. But age does bring some wisdom and, I think, a search for more."

I agree. For the past 3 years I've been going back to all the books I didn't read as a young person, particularly those we "read" in school. I can honestly say I couldn't recall anything about them. As an adult, I now appreciate and enjoy these books. I am enjoying finding a lot of lesser known works by famous authors of bygone years. Some I can understand why they didn't get more notice, but others are really good. One benefit is that you can find a lot of these older, classic works in Kindle format for free or less than $2.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A re-re-re-re-read: Eugene Fluckey's Thunder Below: The USS Bard Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II.

Almost as exciting as Clear the Bridge by Richard H. O'Kane.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-06-2023, 05:23 PM

Big fan of the Killing books by Bill OíRielly. Just started Killing the Witches about the Salem witch trials. Great so far.

If youíve not read any of these I highly recommend them. Historically based but written like novels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic