The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2023, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Pianos are not always right, you know. Especially pianos in Missouri.
Not sure about the Missouri part, but if I'm going to play along with a piano, that has to be what the whole band will tune to. It's not like he/she's going to tune 88 keys to match a digitally correct (440A) guitar. I just call for the piano (hopefully in tune with itself) to give me the notes that I need to get close and then interpolate with open chords and harmonics. Can be a bit of a PITA in some garage/bar bands if the players don't all "get" that.
"What are you doing???"
"Tuning up..."
"No you're not, actually. Give us one minute please and you're next."

I mentioned here (or in another AGF thread) that my last couple bands tuned to Eb for a growly singer with limited range. That made another 6-8 cover songs possible for us and reduced his overall strain (and fraying) over the span of a 3-set gig.

Luckily, things were all digital by that point, which allowed us to tune silently with pedals. It was actually easiest for the keyboard/synth guy who simply twisted knobs or pushed buttons (or something), instantly transposing both of his planks to the prescribed pitch. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by tinnitus; 12-03-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:39 AM

I used a pitch pipe when I started playing and because of it I can usually get pretty close to an E by ear after a string change.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:01 AM

Matched up with my dad's acoustic that always seemed to be reasonably close. He didn't use any referance pitch and advised me to simply tune the low E to where "it sounded good".
Later, a pitch pipe, progressing to a tuning fork until I got my first electronic tuner. That was one of those pick-shaped tuners, don't remember the name off the top of my head.

There was a brief fad of using one of the numbers on a standard touch tone phone that gave you an "A" if I remember correctly. The trouble was there were still a lot of dial phones in use, so you couldn't depend on a touch tone being available when you needed one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion