The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2023, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

When restringing, there is nothing as easy, quick and safe as a pipe to wind each string up to pitch.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I didn't have to play the video to remember that SM!

Here's one of mine: the 60s Beatles cartoon series used a slow strum from low E to high E across the strings as bumper music. Even with my bad pitch I'd recall that set of intervals and when I heard it I'd know "my guitar is likely more or less in tune this time."
Beatles Cartoon series ???? Never saw that in the UK
Old 10-04-2023, 11:04 AM

Before tuners? With a new set of strings, I would get what I thought was good for the high E. The I would tune relative to that.

At my guitar lessons we tuned to the piano. In a band we tuned to each other.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-04-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Yes, Iíve done that too, but then you donít have 2 hands free. That little wooden box was a great tool.
That does sound cool.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-04-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Beatles Cartoon series ???? Never saw that in the UK
I think I'd heard it was not shown in the UK before. It was a half hour animated show I think shown on Saturday mornings (kids block time on US broadcast TV then). They used voice actors to imitate the Beatles who would have little stories which would lead into playing a couple-three actual Beatles recordings.

wikipedia write up on it

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-04-2023, 01:34 PM

When I was by myself, I used a piano for low E and then string to string and harmonics. I still do this sometimes - and everyone really should. Tuners aren't always completely right.

When with others, we would tune to each other and sometimes check harmonics, if someone really sounded out of whack.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
When I was by myself, I used a piano for low E and then string to string and harmonics. I still do this sometimes - and everyone really should. Tuners aren't always completely right.

When with others, we would tune to each other and sometimes check harmonics, if someone really sounded out of whack.
I agree. I believe (on no particular hard science...) that using the various harmonics will lead to a more balanced tuning for a particular guitar, especially an acoustic. Decades ago I was taught the tuning fork method:

An A note tuning fork works good, whack it against your leg then stick the end on your bridge, tune to it then use overtones for the rest.

The tuning varies a little as you go up the neck so nothing is gonna be perfect. And, you know, tempered scale. It's good to develop your ears by working at manual tuning, just in case you ever need it. In olden days on the gig everyone tuned to my Rhodes.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:22 PM

I simply tuned it to itself. Every once in a while we'd have a piano available to give us a correct starting point. But not usually. If there were more than one instrument, everyone would tune to the one we guessed would be closest to standard pitch. Not accurate of course, but we had the same amount of fun.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 12-03-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:28 PM

The harmonica
Old 12-03-2023, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

My tuner battery died at the start of band practice last week. So I just tuned my guitar, banjo and dobro as we all used to... off the root chord from the other band members.

If tuning purely by ear, I tend to tune to the root chord of the song we are about to play rather than tune my open strings to their intervals. For example: say we are playing in Bb (capo 3 guitar for me) I'll get a band member to strum a Bb chord and I'll hold down my Bb chord and tweak the tuning on that to get it right. I am raising or lowering the open (or capo'd) strings, as I can't hold the chord and turn the tuners, but the note I'm listening for is the fretted note of the chord (or open string (capo'd) note of the chord if it has any). So for a song in Bb I'm tuning my 6th fret 6th string, 5th fret 5th string, 3rd fret 4th string, 3rd fret 3rd string , 3rd fret 2nd string and 6th fret 1st string. It's very quick for me to do and gets me "right" with the band.

I use a floating capo with my dobro a lot - and that has to be set by ear during the gig. And, of course, in GBDgbd all dobro players run the 3rd a little flat of equal temperament by ear. Plus you are playing pretty much every single note, double stop, slant and chord by ear during a song while listening to the band for your pitch. A dobro is incredibly stable; once you have set your open G chord tuning before a gig it will stay put - but you are working entirely by ear for pitching and capo placement beyond that.

As for my banjo, well that's in "ballpark" tuning.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post

Pianos are not always right, you know. Especially pianos in Missouri.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

My main instrument was always Piano/Keys back then so I pretty much always had something close by to take a tuning from.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 12-03-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
As a kid in the 70s I tuned to the piano we had in the living room (just to get an A, and then tuned relative to that).

At some point I realized that Jimi Hendrix, my favorite artist, was tuning 1/2 step flat. From then on I just tuned to records or the radio.

I actually don't care much for tuners even now, although I will use them in noisy environments or at a gig. If I'm just playing for myself on a daily basis, I'll just get an A or A flat from the piano or my cell phone and tune relative to that.
After reading some other responses, it jogged my memory about my tuning methods in relation to how bad the guitars (that I could afford) were back in the 70s, especially acoustics. I recall having to adjust the tuning depending on the key of the song and the chords used. Some of the guitars I had were never really "in tune". It was more a matter of tuning to a compromise that sounded the best (or least bad).
Old 12-03-2023, 09:21 AM

https://www.grothmusic.com/p-11116-m...QaAviQEALw_wcB

I used one of these. I still have it. I had one that was C to C. It's probably close to 60 years old, and is slightly flat now! My dad was a song leader at church with vocal music. Since there was no piano, my dad used a pitch pipe. We had several of them lying around. I played percussion and by 9th grade I was the timpani player in the band, so I used one then. It was F to F.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 12-03-2023, 09:56 AM

I used a blue steel 'A' tuning fork then tuned by ear. Decided I needed an electronic tuner when I had to tune my classical guitar backstage at a choir concert with ~30 people milling around and talking. Until I got a Petersen Strobo tuner, I still had to tweak the tuning to my ear rather than the default on the tuner.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion