The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Default New budget guitars with baseball bat-ish necks and min 1.75 nut?

Hi all,

I have 3 very good acoustics but have come to the realization that feel and ease of play are the most important considerations for a gigging acoustic. That said, I feel the most comfortable and wide, fat necks. I use my RK ROS-10 for gigging because of that. Not my best sounding acoustic, but the best feel in my hands.

Other criteria that are preferred are paddle-head not slotted. 12 fret preferred over 14 (it's a feel thing for me). Solid top. 00 or 000 size. Under $400 if possible, but not over $500. None with on-board electronics, please - I'll install my own. Good tone and volume a big + but feel trumps all for me.

Yes, I could get another used ROS-10, but am looking for new if possible.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Hi all,

I have 3 very good acoustics but have come to the realization that feel and ease of play are the most important considerations for a gigging acoustic. That said, I feel the most comfortable and wide, fat necks. I use my RK ROS-10 for gigging because of that. Not my best sounding acoustic, but the best feel in my hands.

Other criteria that are preferred are paddle-head not slotted. 12 fret preferred over 14 (it's a feel thing for me). Solid top. 00 or 000 size. Under $400 if possible, but not over $500. None with on-board electronics, please - I'll install my own. Good tone and volume a big + but feel trumps all for me.

Yes, I could get another used ROS-10, but am looking for new if possible.
Hi Roy

I had a Recording King ROS-626 (all solid EIR/Spruce) which had a 1⅞" nut and baseball handle neck. They still make a similar model, but over time they first dropped the nut to 1¹³⁄₁₆", then 1¾", and I think they finally settled at the 1¹³⁄₁₆" level for the current similar instrument.

I put a side port in it, and everybody who played it loved it (and complained about either the width or depth of the neck). My gigging partner (who is a bassist) has massive hands, fell in love with it and bought it off of me. Ten years later he's suffering with arthritis in his hands, and I may end up getting it back someday if he will turn loose of it.

It's only available used. It would stretch your budget. And condition is everything. And slot heads mean bleeding fingertips after string changes. All that said, I'm sorry I sold it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Yamaha LS6 A.R.E. is sort of OM-ish (but thankfully not a Martin clone), and has a 1 3/4" nut on a fairly substantial neck profile-I definitely wouldn't call it skinny. Tops are torrefied Englemann spruce and they come in either laminate rosewood or mahogany back/sides, with a discreet passive SRT undersaddle pickup (no knobs or barn doors on board), easily removable. I have only played the rosewood model which I recommended to a friend. Nice, big sounding guitar with good balance from bass to treble, and with typically fine Yamaha build quality. Hard foam case included. The only downside (for you), might be the 14-fret neck join.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EF5Qs3GBEw

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-08-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Roy

I had a Recording King ROS-626 (all solid EIR/Spruce) which had a 1⅞" nut and baseball handle neck. They still make a similar model, but over time they first dropped the nut to 1¹³⁄₁₆", then 1¾", and I think they finally settled at the 1¹³⁄₁₆" level for the current similar instrument.

I put a side port in it, and everybody who played it loved it (and complained about either the width or depth of the neck). My gigging partner (who is a bassist) has massive hands, fell in love with it and bought it off of me. Ten years later he's suffering with arthritis in his hands, and I may end up getting it back someday if he will turn loose of it.

It's only available used. It would stretch your budget. And condition is everything. And slot heads mean bleeding fingertips after string changes. All that said, I'm sorry I sold it.

Thanks Larry. I'm aware of the 626 and 616 models. I'm overall happy with my RK, but it will need to get work done on it eventually and I need either a standby or better guitar that is similar as a gigger.

I won't turn my nose up at used, but would want to play first.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yamaha LS6 A.R.E. is sort of OM-ish (but thankfully not a Martin clone), and has a 1 3/4" nut on a fairly substantial neck profile-I definitely wouldn't call it skinny. Tops are torrefied Englemann spruce and they come in either laminate rosewood or mahogany back/sides, with a discreet SRT undersaddle pickup (no knobs or barn doors on board). I have only played the rosewood model which I recommended to a friend. Nice, big sounding guitar with good balance from bass to treble, and with typically fine Yamaha build quality. Hard foam case included. The only downside (for you), might be the 14-fret neck join.
Hi Andrew, I have played the LS 6 & 16 models. Their necks are puny in comparison to my RK and actually somewhat thinner than my Alvarez. I appreciate your input though.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 01-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Eastman E1OM. All solid woods, 1 3/4 nut, paddle head stock, 14 fret as opposed to 12. Neck isn't quite as baseball batty as my RK's. Under 500.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM

I'll take those specs, as well as a guitar that's been setup on a plek machine.
Oh, and for under $300 please.
kthx bye!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
Eastman E1OM. All solid woods, 1 3/4 nut, paddle head stock, 14 fret as opposed to 12. Neck isn't quite as baseball batty as my RK's. Under 500.
I had an E6OM and have owned 4 Eastmans. Neck isn't even close and Eastman nut width specs are often off.

Their 00 and 0 size would be candidates though, but a tad more than I want to spend and don't care for slotted heads.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 01-08-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Have you considered an archtop Loar? Same maker as your RK, but they have a couple models with massive boat necks (V not C like a baseball bat) but I love both, being a big fat neck lover myself.

Obviously you give up some sound quality of a flat top, but they sound great and are easily within your budget.

Their size is akin to a 00 or 000 or so, 14 fret paddle headstock. It checks some of your boxes, but certainly is a budget guitar with a big fat neck.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
I'll take those specs, as well as a guitar that's been setup on a plek machine.
Oh, and for under $300 please.
kthx bye!
It can be done as I got my RK from Elderly's for $350 new.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM

I was going to say Recording King, but as you already have one, I can't think of any others in that price bracket. I love a big chunky neck myself, but we seem to be in a small minority as they are very hard to find.
I have a lovely Michael Hauver which would fit the bill, but they are a lot more expensive.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Have you considered an archtop Loar? Same maker as your RK, but they have a couple models with massive boat necks (V not C like a baseball bat) but I love both, being a big fat neck lover myself.

Obviously you give up some sound quality of a flat top, but they sound great and are easily within your budget.

Their size is akin to a 00 or 000 or so, 14 fret paddle headstock. It checks some of your boxes, but certainly is a budget guitar with a big fat neck.
I must admit, I had not considered going w/an archtop - it may be a very viable option for me. I have thought the Loar LO-16 might be a good fit, but have never been able to try one out.

Is there one or two of the Loar archtops that you have played and might recommend?

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 01-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I was going to say Recording King, but as you already have one, I can't think of any others in that price bracket. I love a big chunky neck myself, but we seem to be in a small minority as they are very hard to find.
I have a lovely Michael Hauver which would fit the bill, but they are a lot more expensive.
Yeah, it's a shame that RK narrowed and shrunk their neck dimensions - to me, the fat neck profile was one of their selling points.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I won't turn my nose up at used, but would want to play first.
Hi Roy

Me too…I admit I bought the ROS-626 used from a Pawn Shop on the east coast over 10 years back, and I had them play a few things on the phone, and based on what I heard, and the price they were selling it for, I took a leap-o-faith and it turned out to be great projection in the room with little feedback to the player.

So I added the side-port and all is well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I must admit, I had not considered going w/an archtop - it may be a very viable option for me. I have thought the Loar LO-16 might be a good fit, but have never been able to try one out.

Is there one or two of the Loar archtops that you have played and might recommend?

MOST Loar flat tops have the perfectly fine round C that's medium thick, not skinny at all, but not chunky as you're asking, either. I think the newest one has a skinny V shape.

The Loar does have a pronounced big huge V shape on some of the Archtops.

I've had this exact guitar with one pickup. Their matte finish is awesome and the guitar played and sounded great: https://reverb.com/item/5656173-new-...e-black-finish

This one is a little more, but same neck: https://reverb.com/item/14807818-the...-top-brand-new

Ironically, if you'd take one with a pickup, there are a couple models with the big V neck, full depth and are essentially exactly as above but with picikups and seem to out there for cheaper...

Should be able to find one used or most dealers in these brands are pretty friendly in accepting reasonable offers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
00 12 fret, 000 12 fret, 1.75" nut, wide neck