The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM

You'll love it. I have a RK RAJ-126SN, one of their slope shoulder dreads. It's honestly one of my favorite guitars.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 AM

I just ordered one of these ROS-10 12 fret jobs from Musician's Friend today for $339.99 (no case). They were running a 15% discount off the $399.99 original price.

Just wanted a cheap small body guitar I could take anywhere and not worry too much about it. I can't get over the deal - $339.99 for an all solid Sitka/Hog...I can't wait to get it, set it up, and check it out.

I like that it isn't a slothead although I think those look cool.

For that price....Why not?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I know, I know - it didn't happen without "pitchers" - I will post in the next few days.

Just received today from Elderly. The 10% off, free shipping and glowing recommendations from an employee caused me to cave in on this one. That, and I recently played the RO-10 and was impressed so got one 'o the 12 frets.

First impressions - thick neck, light as a feather, beautiful woods and excellent finish work. Tuners seem pretty good, but I am spoiled by the Gotoh's on my ac522. I will put it through the paces for a couple of hours tonight to see how well they do.

After playing a few tunes - Excellent volume (better than a lot of OM's I have played, but not quite as loud as my E6om), very good sustain and plenty of bottom end for a 12 fretter. Very well balanced sonically. Great setup - if anything maybe a little on the low side as I tend to be an aggressive strummer. Fretwork is smooth and clean. Nut and saddle are nicely done and plays well up and down the neck (as far as I have checked anyways).

So, I have to say, all in all I am pretty impressed. I wanted an outdoor player that wouldn't be too expensive or have a finish that was super sensitive. I think this little guy will be a keeper. All solid woods for well under 4 bills. Sweet.

They're pretty darn good. I have a little 12 fret 00 with a cutaway that I used as a beater. I think it was around $500; can't remember. Played it a lot, then I got it properly set up and the frets leveled and polished and now it's a halfway serious piece of equipment. Unlike a lot of low-end parlor guitars, the thing is frikkin' LOUD, sisters!!!! I guess the bridge pulls up on a lot of them, but it hasn't happened to be yet even though it has been left in hot cars and generally shown zero respect.

It's really quite good but the intonation is a little off. Seems to me the saddle is too close to the nut -- just a little but you can hear it if you listen for it. Super expensive to get that fixed though.

I wanted to sand the logo off the headstock and just make sort of a roughed-up vintage-looking guitar out of it, but I am not sure I have the skills to make it come out well. I have repeatedly heard that these respond really really well to brace-shaving, and I am going to try to find someone who knows how to do that.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 AM

Got my Recording King ROS-10 12 fret in yesterday. Pulled the strings off, lemon oiled the fret board, and put new strings on it. This is a hell of a deal for $339.99. Solid sitka spruce top and solid Hog back and sides. Nice deep and crisp tone.

1.75" bone nut with a bone saddle. Action is okay - I will probably shave the bridge just a little to bring it down. Neck is straight. Frets are perfect.

Rosewood fret board. Has a nice long sustain and really nice tone. I am happy as heck with this purchase. I put it through it's paces last night finger picking, flat picking and strumming. No buzzing with perfect intonation. The tuning is perfect - I plucked each string open and each string on the 12th fret harmonic and it was a perfect match.

I decided to tune the instrument down a 1/2 step to Eb and it is a deep growling machine.

I have owned many nice guitars including and Eastman E10D, 2012 Martin D-18 and about 20 other acoustic guitars and this one is a keeper.

The value is unbeatable in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 AM

I'll join the chorus and say that I've had an ROS-06 for the past couple of years and have been very happy with it. I think they are a great value.

Have fun with your new acquisition.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM

RK just keeps on getting better! The 10 series is one heck of a bargain!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Recording King ROS-10

I am late to the party. Bummer...Looks like the MF and Elderly discounts ended.

Last edited by Blueser100; 10-16-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 AM

Yeah - that MF sale was only 1 or 2 days.
I'm really impressed with this guitar and I really like the body size. It doesn't have the Martin "sound" my D-18 had but then again it isn't a Martin and it isn't a dread and it is $339 instead of $1500.

This guitar is perfect for what I'm using it for...to play all over the house and garage or where ever and leave it sitting in a corner. It is a real bonus that it sounds as good as it does.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000 12 fret, recording king, ros-10