The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-11-2019, 05:11 PM

Default Body size and neck profile guidance

Owing to age and past injury, I have moved from large body guitars to 00 size guitars. As a larger guy (6’2, 275 lbs), I have found parlor size guitars too small for comfort. Similarly, as a guy with big hands, I have gravitated to nut widths of 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and full neck profiles. As I shop for a CF guitar, I’m trying to match my preferences with the offerings from CF guitar makers. Because I’ve been unable so far to find and play a CF guitar, my search has been entirely online and based on reviews and videos.

I’ve read repeatedly that among the main CF makers, Rainsong’s standard neck profile is likely the fullest and roundest. However, I’ve read others insist that the Emerald standard neck profile feels fuller. In terms of body size, I have the impression that the Rainsong OM, the 2018 Emerald X7, or the X20 are my best choices.

If anyone with experience with these models would care to share a thought or two on these topics, I would appreciate the guidance.

I realize that if I had the funds that I could custom order an X7 or X20 to my specifications, but until I find a way to play test some of these guitars, I’d be ordering based on very little concrete info.

Thanks!

1935 Supertone/Harmony Round Hole Archtop
1936 Regal Junior Jumbo (Double X brace conversion)
1952 Martin 00-28g
1962 Guyatone ES335 copy
1992 Dana Davis/Melbourne L00
2018 Emerald X20
2019 Rob Collins/Tin Guitar Tenor Ukulele
2021 Ibanez AELFF10NT

Misc.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:35 PM

I own a Rainsong WS-1000 (from 2001 so the original neck, not N2) plus a second version X7 pre-dating the V3 redesign in spring 2018. (V1 was the older center sound hole, V2 was the X7 with forward facing offset sound hole, and V3 is the offset angled sound hole). I also have a 2016 X20 and a 2017 X20-12 custom build twelve string.

I find the necks on all of them to be just fine, and more similar than different. My normal preference is Taylor necks. I don't care for anything narrower than 1-3/4" any more. I cannot play Martin 1-11/16" MLO profile necks for more than a few minutes without hand pain, which forced the sale of all four that I once owned.

Good luck in your search. And you're normal sized guy in a midget world. (I'm 6'-6" and 310 pounds).
Old 11-12-2019, 10:11 AM

I own a Rainsong Shorty, which is now a discontinued model based on the OM body. It's my current favorite acoustic guitar, and has been since I bought it. I've gotten a couple other Rainsongs in the meantime, and the Shorty remains my favorite. It's got a balanced tone that's equally at home picking and strumming, and it's very comfortable in my lap. Rainsong's neck has a 1 3/4" nut width and a hefty "U" profile. I've never had my hands on an Emerald, so I can't say anything in direct comparison, although the chatter here on the forum makes me think that the Rainsong neck is thicker than the Emerald neck.

I'd be happy to answer any direct questions about my OM-bodied Rainsong, if you have any specifics. I can tell you that the OM is closer to a 000 than a 00 shape, but like I said, it's very comfortable, and the depth is about 4".
Old 11-12-2019, 10:52 AM

MiG50 has it right. If describing them, the Rainsong N2 neck is a little heftier - more of a full C shape. The Emerald is more Taylor-like in profile, call it a shallow C. You can still essentially order the Shorty, although not by that name. Get an OM with the twelve fret body join, ie: NS neck. That was also briefly called the "Smoky" with all black hardware and even black coated strings (yuk). I really did not care for those sticky-feeling coated strings, but the guitar itself was quite nice - the time or two I played one.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:46 PM

Thanks all for the useful info. I find myself more attracted to the Emerald x7 with its 00 sizing and its innovative styling than the Rainsong OM size and traditional design, but of course, it’s how a guitar feels and sounds that really matters. I’m not looking for eye candy.

I’ve read quite a few people describe the Emerald neck profile as Tayloresque and should probably heed that warning, given my strong preference for a fuller/rounder neck. Yet, my middle aged shoulder prefers staying under 15” in lower bout width. I meed a Rainsong 00. Argh.

I suppose the best of both worlds would be a custom X7 with a beefed up neck. For now, that’ll have to stay on my “someday when I have the money” list. Meanwhile, I will continue my quest to play test these guitars.

Abram
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 PM

The X7 gets a lot of love around here. It was the first acoustic that I could play after getting out of the shoulder sling post surgery in June. The spring 2018 version is a bit bigger than ours, with a fuller sound by all reports. It seems to be closer to the excellent sound of an X20 than the parlor-ish sound of the older smaller X7's. Regardless of body size, it is hard to beat the Emeralds for pure playing comfort. Those curves and bevels........

It isn't cheap but it is possible to get nearly any neck profile / nut width that you want. Alistair has sent people dental mold compound to take an impression of their favorite neck, then replicated it on their custom guitar. If you wanted to make a trip to Boise, you would certainly be welcome to play anything in our fleet. A couple of them might even be for sale.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber