The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: If you're UN-comfortable playing a Dread, are you comfortable with an X30?
UN-comfortable with Dread, UN-comfortable with X30 0 0%
UN-comfortable with Dread, COMFORTABLE with X30 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Dread vs X30 - comfort levels?

So there's been a pretty extensive poll asking folks if they're comfortable or uncomfortable playing a dreadnaught. It's been pretty much in the 50-50 neighborhood right along.

But what I'm interested in is how many people are UNcomfortable playing a Dread, but are Comfortable playing an X30?

I've read so many testimonials from folks saying the X30 doesn't feel anywhere near as big as it is because of all of the bevels an angles Emerald uses on it. I'm familiar with their designs, owning an X7 and having owned an X20. Both felt very comfortable to play. But the X30 is a BIG MUTHA guitar. And some folks have said it feels as big as it is. I'm pretty sure I'd like the sound of the X30, although maybe not that much volume. But I'm not comfortable playing a dread for any length of time and I fear the X30 would be that and maybe more. Someday I hope to get to try one, but for now, I'm just interested in what's probably a pretty small sample size of opinions from folks who've played both... And, specifically, those who are NOT comfortable playing a dread for any length of time...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 11-09-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Ray, you probably won't get much response here in the General forum because only a handful of people have direct experience with CF guitars, specifically the relatively new X30.

I voted for the second option. I own several jumbo guitars (Alvarez ABT60, Taylor 615, X30). All generally have to be played classical style on my left leg, or with a strap. Of these the X30 is the most comfortable because of the bevels and angles molded into the shape, which is really hard to do in wood. I got away from dreads because the wide waist jacked my [bad] right shoulder up higher than is comfy, whereas the tighter waist on the X30 does not do that. For example, I played the X30 sitting on my right thigh for an hour last week, and it has been years since I could do that with any dreadnought. In fact, the only dread I still own is an old Seagull M6, precursor to the S6.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Ray, you probably won't get much response here in the General forum because only a handful of people have direct experience with CF guitars, specifically the relatively new X30.

I voted for the second option. I own several jumbo guitars (Alvarez ABT60, Taylor 615, X30). All generally have to be played classical style on my left leg, or with a strap. Of these the X30 is the most comfortable because of the bevels and angles molded into the shape, which is really hard to do in wood. I got away from dreads because the wide waist jacked my [bad] right shoulder up higher than is comfy, whereas the tighter waist on the X30 does not do that. For example, I played the X30 sitting on my right thigh for an hour last week, and it has been years since I could do that with any dreadnought. In fact, the only dread I still own is an old Seagull M6, precursor to the S6.
You're right - I always forget that other people read posts by sub-forum. I just go to "new posts" so I tend to see everything from everywhere. Maybe I'll see if I can get this moved, or just repost at some point.

Reading about your experience seemed like one of the cautionary tales about the X30, based on what you've said about it in the past - glad to hear you seem to be doing better with it. And, in my case, it's not like I can't play a dread due to DIS-comfort. It's just that an 00 or 000 is that much MORE comfortable that I'd never choose to.

Well, ultimately it's gonna come down to eventually hooking up with someone in my neck of the woods who has one and seeing how well I like it...
Old 11-09-2019, 03:00 PM

The x30 is a big guitar. Deep. There's no getting around it. It's also got a big sound. Very different from the x20.

But I've held it, and switched between it, a d12, and a d p/w.

No question: the x30 feels much smaller, and much more comfortable to hold and play than either other guitar

But it is big.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Ill have to study the questions extensively the next few days ...toooo many variables....now I have to go find a dred... not that I dread it...it was I was just gonna eat stuff and nap today....but now that I will be out dredding I might as well but some nerf bars on my new...yes new 2019 composite guitar hauler.''
I knew I should not have opened this thread knowing darn well a certain "Ray" was up to something and somehow I'd have to respond...sigh...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 11-09-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ill have to study the questions extensively the next few days ...toooo many variables....now I have to go find a dred... not that I dread it...it was I was just gonna eat stuff and nap today....but now that I will be out dredding I might as well but some nerf bars on my new...yes new 2019 composite guitar hauler.
Sounds dreadful! But if you come up with something, lemme know...
Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
.....I just go to "new posts" so I tend to see everything from everywhere....
.....Reading about your experience seemed like one of the cautionary tales about the X30, based on what you've said about it in the past....
I never use the "Today on the AGF" feature. I look at select rooms and decide if any thread interests me. Then I log in only if there is a desire to respond.

My X30 experience is very user-specific, and no one should draw too many conclusions. I fell and tore my rotator cuff badly at the end of January and still today don't have full range of shoulder motion back - and may never get there. That shoulder was hardly pristine before the injury, hence my long drift away from dreads and jumbos toward GA / 000 bodies. I had the X30 for only about six weeks before the injury, and could not even attempt to play it for months afterward. But I liked the X30 enough at Kramster's house to give it a try. Mine has far more playing hours from friends (who love it) than from me. But X30 is growing on me now that it is feasible to play it again. It is quite different from the Goldilocks "just right" X20 - for me.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:06 AM

I detect an X30 in Ray's future! Ray I didn't vote in the poll as I'm used to dreads so voting would only skewer the results. I will add that I have 3 dreads from different makers all of which are slightly different size wise and the X30 is far more comfortable. It really does feel a lot smaller than it is.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I detect an X30 in Ray's future! Ray I didn't vote in the poll as I'm used to dreads so voting would only skewer the results. I will add that I have 3 dreads from different makers all of which are slightly different size wise and the X30 is far more comfortable. It really does feel a lot smaller than it is.
I actually don’t think it’s likely, but I’m intrigued enough to want to play one at some point, and if I do and like it enough, it’s certainly possible. I tried to connect with an AGF member who has one and lives near where my daughter got married a couple of weeks ago, but the timing didn’t work out (fortunately, it turned out in retrospect, given how insane that few days of running pre-wedding errands ended up being).

Based on all the clips I’ve heard, I think I’d love the tonal qualities of the X30, but even if I turn out to be perfectly comfortable with the size (which I’m obviously a bit dubious about - hence, this thread), I sort of doubt that I’d really want that much volume. It would be mostly a strummer I think, and I’m not much of a singer (which is the kindest thing I can say about my “vocals”), so the guitar could easily overwhelm my voice. I already love my X7 and I have a Martin 000-15SM I LOVE as a full scale guitar that’s surprisingly loud - I often grab the X7 to sing with because I can hear myself over it better than the OOO.

So Im really happy with what I’ve got and I’m not sure where an X30 would fit in even if I really dug it. And it will be a while before I can realistically afford one - recall, my daughter just got married a couple weeks ago! But, yeah, I’m intrigued enough to want to check one out at some point. And I know myself better than to say “nope, never”. So, likely not, but maybe someday... There’s a side of me that wants to play one so I can rule it out and stop thinking about it - I’m really not thinking about any other acoustics at this point. I’m quite settled with my electric gear and I’d love to realize I am with my acoustic stuff as well. But I recognize that once I do play one, it might not go that way!

-Ray
Old 11-10-2019, 05:16 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I actually don’t think it’s likely, but I’m intrigued enough to want to play one at some point, and if I do and like it enough, it’s certainly possible. I tried to connect with an AGF member who has one and lives near where my daughter got married a couple of weeks ago, but the timing didn’t work out (fortunately, it turned out in retrospect, given how insane that few days of running pre-wedding errands ended up being).

Based on all the clips I’ve heard, I think I’d love the tonal qualities of the X30, but even if I turn out to be perfectly comfortable with the size (which I’m obviously a bit dubious about - hence, this thread), I sort of doubt that I’d really want that much volume. It would be mostly a strummer I think, and I’m not much of a singer (which is the kindest thing I can say about my “vocals”), so the guitar could easily overwhelm my voice. I already love my X7 and I have a Martin 000-15SM I LOVE as a full scale guitar that’s surprisingly loud - I often grab the X7 to sing with because I can hear myself over it better than the OOO.

So Im really happy with what I’ve got and I’m not sure where an X30 would fit in even if I really dug it. And it will be a while before I can realistically afford one - recall, my daughter just got married a couple weeks ago! But, yeah, I’m intrigued enough to want to check one out at some point. And I know myself better than to say “nope, never”. So, likely not, but maybe someday... There’s a side of me that wants to play one so I can rule it out and stop thinking about it - I’m really not thinking about any other acoustics at this point. I’m quite settled with my electric gear and I’d love to realize I am with my acoustic stuff as well. But I recognize that once I do play one, it might not go that way!

-Ray
The X30 is loud for sure but maybe not as much as you might think. It's about as equal to my Gibson dread in volume. I had no issues singing over it but I'm not a heavy strummer. I'll do a few tests when I get my new one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber