The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Help me Decide X20 or X30

I plan on buying an Emerald X20 or an X30. I live on a boat and having only 1 guitar is making more sense. I am 6ft 4 with long arms
. 63 but no shoulder problems so far.lol. mostly first position chords strum and finger pick, flesh and sometimes thumbpick. I host open mics occasionally with Bose L1 compact with pedalboard and mixer, but mostly for my own enjoyment. I have had up to 4 guitars on board at 1 time, Martin 000-18, PRS, LEGACY and Of660. I have decided to have only 1 guitar, i know, i know. So, never having been able to play an Emerald, but reading so much love here, i am asking if i would be better off with the X30 or an X20. I am leaning toward the X30 plain black stock model. Any input helpful.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-07-2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Not allowed
Old 11-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Assuming you think you'd be OK with the larger size of the X30, I'd say it all comes down to whether you like brighter tone or deeper warmer tone. I had an X20 and found it brighter than I liked. That's not a universal opinion of the X20, and I get the strong impression they're not all alike, as one might think they would be. But I think there's a pretty strong consensus that the X30 is a louder guitar but also a deeper, warmer sounding guitar, and not by a little. Certainly every sound clip and youtube I've heard bears this out.

I've never tried an X30 - I don't think I want a guitar that big or loud and I'm dubious about the claims of how comfortable it is despite it's massive size. I have an X7 (newest model) and love it - like it way more than I liked the X20, but the scale is really short. My longer scale guitar is a Martin 000 and I think that's the largest I really want to go and I love how it sounds.

Obviously, if you can find people around you who own either or both, playing them would be your best bet. But if you can't, I'd just think about what your tonal preferences are, listen to every clip you can find, and go with your ears...

-Ray
Old 11-07-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I plan on buying an Emerald X20 or an X30. I live on a boat and having only 1 guitar is making more sense. I am 6ft 4 with long arms
. 63 but no shoulder problems so far.lol. mostly first position chords strum and finger pick, flesh and sometimes thumbpick. I host open mics occasionally with Bose L1 compact with pedalboard and mixer, but mostly for my own enjoyment. I have had up to 4 guitars on board at 1 time, Martin 000-18, PRS, LEGACY and Of660. I have decided to have only 1 guitar, i know, i know. So, never having been able to play an Emerald, but reading so much love here, i am asking if i would be better off with the X30 or an X20. I am leaning toward the X30 plain black stock model. Any input helpful.
You have some nice guitars. In my opinion I would try and see if you can somehow finance getting at least one of those 2 guitars you are interested in in hand. I've seen a lot of X30s up for sale- can only speculate on the reason but that much is fact.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 AM

I would guess a 30... if I was the guessing type a guesser... just guessin’.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty new to the Emerald Society and have never played an X30. A lot of AGF folks sing the praises of the X30 for its volume and low end. I took a leap of faith in purchasing my X20, and it turned out to be a good decision. It was an in-stock black Emerald with a very warm tone and plenty loud for my needs. Should you get an X20 or X30? Who knows? I think either would probably meet your needs just fine. They're terrific guitars....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:23 PM

Yep I'll help you too, X30, there you go problem solved.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:31 PM

Update.
I contacted Emerald about a stock X30 with K&k pick up. They told me 3 to 4 months lead time because they had to make modification under bridge to accept the K&k. I replied that i thought that was kinda long lead time for just changing the pickup.
Allister stepped in and said 1 week.
The customer service is amazing!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Update.
I contacted Emerald about a stock X30 with K&k pick up. They told me 3 to 4 months lead time because they had to make modification under bridge to accept the K&k. I replied that i thought that was kinda long lead time for just changing the pickup.
Allister stepped in and said 1 week.
The customer service is amazing!
Well! That means the wait list just got LOOONGER for everyone else.

Nice
Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well! That means the wait list just got LOOONGER for everyone else.

Nice
You are assuming there isn't a dedicated K&K installer on staff who is just waiting for something to do?

On the original topic: an X20 or an X30? Answer: YES!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
On the original topic: an X20 or an X30? Answer: YES!
What he said!
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 11-08-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_man View Post
What he said!
What he also said! Yet again..I think
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

I'd go for the X30, given your build. I suspect the X20 might feel a little svelte to you.

For me, 5'9" with t-rex (ok, shorter than average ) arms, the X20 could not fit any better.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Spotted this:

Old 11-08-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Oh my....I think I have that album !! ROFL
Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber