The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Rainsong Vintage

I'm a big fan of Rainsong dreads and have been eyeing the new Vintage since pictures began to surface. After a bit of back and forthing with Ted, we sealed the deal. On first playing it's definitely got a deeper and more resonant bass than my H-DR1100N2T. Although it doesn't have the extra boominess that you'd hear from a high Martin dread, I'd think that it would compare very favorably with a new D-28. The pricing for these is more than what I was accustomed to having shopped pretty exclusively at the shallow end of the Rainsong pool. However, after the readjustment of Rainsong's offerings and a few bucks off at your friendly Rainsong dealer, I don't believe it's out of line, especially if you're a Rainsong/CF guitar enthusiast. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the relative exclusivity of being a Charter Member (if not the only member) of the Rainsong Vintage Guitar Club isn't kind of cool to me. I'd say that Rainsong hit a homer with this one and of course, pricing and customer service from Ted & Helene at LA Guitar Sales https://www.laguitarsales.com was top notch. I ordered it last Thursday and it arrived this (Tuesday) morning going from California to Virginia. I really couldn't be happier...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new RainSong! You seem to be adding some fine guitars recently... did you hit the lottery?

I will be interested to hear more about the Vintage. And, how you go about picking those lottery numbers.

Enjoy!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Yeh, the lottery I hit was selling all of my wooden acoustics (seven Taylors), three Rainsongs and a Strat and using that money to acquire a couple of Rainsongs and a couple of Emeralds...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-05-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yeh, the lottery I hit was selling all of my wooden acoustics (seven Taylors), two Rainsongs and a Strat and using that money to acquire a couple of Rainsongs and a couple of Emeralds...
Even better than buying a lottery ticket! Some nice "restructuring" on your part.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Captain. The affect of the AGF discussions on getting down to one guitar vs GAS resulted in my "restructuring" so that I'd have fewer guitars, but ones I could keep out on stands and not have to worry about the vagaries of temperature and humidity in my cabin in the woods...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Congratulations on the new Rainsong, I like the direction the company is headed. Still waiting for the "N2 neck replaced with N3 neck" thread.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Congratulations on the new Rainsong, I like the direction the company is headed. Still waiting for the "N2 neck replaced with N3 neck" thread.
Thanks. The Vintage's tone is not only louder but also warmer than my other Rainsongs. I suppose that I'm fortunate in that I not only prefer the tone of dreads but find their size as well as N2 necks quite comfortable to play...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-05-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks. The Vintage's tone is not only louder but also warmer than my other Rainsongs. I suppose that I'm fortunate in that I not only prefer the tone of dreads but find their size as well as N2 necks quite comfortable to play...

Congrats again RP! Is RainSong using aged toner on these tops? That guitar looks great- vintage meets cutting edge- I think the company is thinking very forward here and like the direction they are taking.

I’m with Luva here though, I won’t buy another RainSong until they revisit the neck design- I wanted to love it, I really did but ended up kind of hating it honestly. It’s not a finger style friendly neck at all
Old 11-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Wow nice! Saves me the trouble having having to get one...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Wow nice! Saves me the trouble having to get one...
Ok, I've got to ask. How did I save you the trouble of getting one???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, I've got to ask. How did I save you the trouble of getting one???
All the time you have spent here, and you did not know that all CF guitars shipped have to pass through Kramster? I think it may be some kind of Federal statute or something, where he has been designated as a Carbon Fiber Inspection (and Use) Repository.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
All the time you have spent here, and you did not know that all CF guitars shipped have to pass through Kramster? I think it may be some kind of Federal statute or something, where he has been designated as a Carbon Fiber Inspection (and Use) Repository.
My bad! I thought that was just Emeralds...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-05-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Uhhh something like that
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

I think Rainsong is doing something really smart here. If they can make a traditional looking, D-style guitar that sounds and plays as well as something like a Martin D-18, the advantages of CF should be hugely beneficial to performing and touring musicians, and many others who struggle with their D-whatevers in the dry winter months - not to mention CF's other advantages.

My personal preference is for CF to be out front, loud and proud, Emerald-style - after all, if you're going to advocate the material, why try to hide it? But I think Rainsong has found a niche here, and I wish them well with it.

Even though the sunburst and the pickguard on the Nashville model are just awful
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 11-05-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:39 PM

Default V-DR1100N2

I just ordered a V-DR tonight from Ted at LA Guitar Sales. I should have it next week. I'll post a detailed A-B review against my (was RP's) H-DR1100N2. I will likely be putting the H-DR up for sale.

My main CH-PA is in queue for an EVO fret job at Brothers in Wind Gap PA. I'll let you know what I think of EVO when that work is finished. I've beaten the current frets up pretty badly in the last 2.5 years and the high E/B/G strings don't sound great when hit hard (unless I stretch them off the worn spots).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber