The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Playing My Emeralds...

I'm really new to the Emerald family, and frankly I'm still forming my thoughts, especially with the X20-12 that I just picked up this morning. I'm curious to hear if others share my so-far opinion that the geometry of Emeralds lend themselves (or even require) that they be played differently than a guitar with a more traditional geometry, be they wood or carbon fiber.

My initial impression(s) is that the X20 lends itself more to finger style than strumming. On the other hand, the 12-string X20-12 so far seems to lend itself more to playing with a flatpick. My frame of reference for 12 string guitars is Taylor, having owned three over the past 15 years. Picking up my Emerald 12 string today, I couldn't help comparing it to my last one, an 858.

The 858 was a boomy and brilliant guitar, and from the Emerald's smaller body emenates a more focused 12 string voice. I can't say that either is better than the other, and I'm sure that I'll grow to further appreciate the Emerald's more nuanced tone. Let's face it, one area in which these two shine very brightly is their ergonomics, and clearly the X20-12 win hands-down in that department. While the traditional guitar shape is something we've grown accustomed to, Emerald's shape is well, quite huggable. I'm curious, however, if others have found that their Emerald guitars lend themselves more to a certain type of playing than their standard shaped ones...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM

I never noticed much difference, but then I am not that much of a guitar player.. I just adopt and only notice things when some one points it out
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 PM

I love to hug and play my new X7. It's everything I hoped it would be.
I carried it on a couple of planes on my way back to the USA and it all went well.
But I would rather check it next time (unfortunately I have to fly worldwide for work)
so I took it to Cabelas here in Hartford and bought it a Pelican Vault rifle case
so I can haul it without worries.
I removed the foam and it fits snugly in its gigbag with some room to spare for clothes.
I'm very happy and pleased with my Emerald.

Congratulations on your new guitar RP!

Old 11-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

My X20 likes to be strummed. Good thing, 'cause I like to strum it. Since getting home about a month ago, I have been rotating through my guitars; including more time with a couple of the wood ones. Each has something that makes me want to play it, but I find myself grabbing the X20, plugged in or just playing on the couch, more often.

I've heard the Taylor 814ce described as "the Swiss Army Knife" of their line, in that it does everything so well. And that is how I feel about the X20... it growls, it sings, it whispers. I feel more control with the X20, maybe because I can push it more than my other guitars.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I have to say that I tend to pickup my X20-12 more often than I do my other two 12’s (and they are equally playable). I think there is an ergonomic factor that subconsciously encourages me to pick it up and play, it’s lighter, fits better against my body, the bevels encourage a more comfortable feel and it just stays in tune .... yeah, I really like my X20-12! My other 12’s are beautiful sounding, gorgeous looking, but it’s the X20-12 that gets picked up. I’m a strummer and flatpicker but that’s not a factor .....
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 11-01-2019, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had an X20 and both old and new versions of the X7. In all cases, they’ve felt smaller than the equivalent size wood guitars built at right angles. Except for the older X7, that’s made them more comfortable than comparable sized wood guitars - the older X7 was actually smaller than I liked and less comfortable as a result. But I haven’t noticed that size / comfort factor affecting which I liked to strum vs fingerpick. I’ve done both with all of them. But I’m still pretty new to fingerpicking - I was REALLY new to it when I had the X20 and the older X7. So maybe I just didn’t know any better....

-Ray
Old 11-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I never noticed much difference, but then I am not that much of a guitar player.. I just adopt and only notice things when some one points it out
Hey, kramster, is that a guitar in your hands? Uh, yeah, I hadn't noticed.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

Tony;

You sure that's not a piano? Mr. K is versatile.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:22 AM

The only difference between the Emeralds and other guitars I have is the Emeralds are more comfy. I don't have to change my playing style with them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber