The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I don't know. Seems very strange. The guitar in question is a black X20-12 so it doesn't even have a potentially questionable wood veneer.

I received a notice from USPS about redelivery and specified that I want to pick it up myself. This decision was acknowledged with another computerized email, but then I just got the following USPS message:

The customer has requested that the Postal Service redeliver this item in CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA 22903.

Ok, I don't know if this is just another confusing message from another confused government entity or if someone at Emerald is working late and sorted this thing out...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-31-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 PM

Even more mysterious....
Old 10-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

It could be like a Rickenbacker that I bought in 2001.

"Out for delivery", the UPS status said, from the depot 12 miles from my house.

It never arrived.

Hope this helps.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It is possible that some law or treaty changed as of the new federal fiscal year starting OCT 01, but that would be news to all of us - including many who got their Emerald guitars without fees this month. As far as we know, trade between Ireland and the US is still duty free on guitars. I suspect a bureaucratic error at US Customs, which also caused the delay so far. It's not like Emerald uses Brazilian rosewood or other CITES listed species - they know better.

Good luck!
I'm wondering about this as well. I have now purchased two guitars from Australia in the past three months. The one I bought in August arrived in about a week with no issues. I bought a second one a week or so ago (October) and while it only took three days to get to me, I was hit up by UPS for $136 and change in 'import fees'. I paid them because I didn't want to hold up shipment but then contacted the seller who said that I shouldn't have been charged that and after supplying him with a copy of the receipt he reimbursed me saying he would 'get the money back on his end' which I was impressed with. But it makes me wonder if something has changed recently of which we are not aware. With all these issues with the trade war, who knows what is or is not going on these days. It will be interesting to see from others that are awaiting orders from overseas if this becomes the norm.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 PM

Useless Slow Package Service
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-31-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Hope this helps.
Seems very helpful
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm wondering about this as well. I have now purchased two guitars from Australia in the past three months. The one I bought in August arrived in about a week with no issues. I bought a second one a week or so ago (October) and while it only took three days to get to me, I was hit up by UPS for $136 and change in 'import fees'. I paid them because I didn't want to hold up shipment but then contacted the seller who said that I shouldn't have been charged that and after supplying him with a copy of the receipt he reimbursed me saying he would 'get the money back on his end' which I was impressed with. But it makes me wonder if something has changed recently of which we are not aware. With all these issues with the trade war, who knows what is or is not going on these days. It will be interesting to see from others that are awaiting orders from overseas if this becomes the norm.

No word from Emerald yet, but I'm going to pay the fee and hope that Emerald reimburses me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I picked up my new Emerald X20-12 -
I had to pay the $234.14 customs fee - BOO
No word from Emerald - I know that last Monday was a Bank Holiday; is today a Bank Holiday follow-up day?

This whole situation is complicated by the fact that a severe storm blew through my neighborhood last night and knocked out power (and therefore internet) I went into Charlottesville to mail out the Rainsong CH-OM I sold yesterday, pick up my new Emerald and check free internet at my swim club...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Customs fees came up once about two years ago (?) right at the end of a calendar year or the beginning of the New Year. As I recall that fellow paid the ransom and planned to challenge the fees as a mistake and ask for a refund, but never posted a follow up. None of my Emerald purchases have had this happen, the latest being mid-December 2018.

It is possible that some law or treaty changed as of the new federal fiscal year starting OCT 01, but that would be news to all of us - including many who got their Emerald guitars without fees this month. As far as we know, trade between Ireland and the US is still duty free on guitars. I suspect a bureaucratic error at US Customs, which also caused the delay so far. It's not like Emerald uses Brazilian rosewood or other CITES listed species - they know better.

Good luck!
I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to. I got dinged what I labelled as "customs fees" when I received my X30 but never got dinged anything for the X20 which I thought was weird. Now I live in Canada so the rules are most likely different than the US. My charges on the X30 turned out to be GST (Government Sales Tax) and not customs fees. I wasn't very happy about it of course and called them and that's what they told me. I was also going to contact Emerald about it as well but once I calmed down I realized that this issue had nothing to do with them and felt that it wasn't fair to ask them to cover the charges.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Guest 928

So, RP, how's the guitar?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
So, RP, how's the guitar?
I haven't gotten it home yet, but got the following message from Kevin:

Hi Joel

You shouldn't have had to pay any import duties, that has been put on by either US customs or USPS
You will need to phone and find out why, this is out of our control.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Kevin

I'm really irritated by this total lack of interest and helpfulness on Emerald's part. I would appreciate any help from those of you who are on a first name basis with Alistair. Maybe you can let him know how one of his customers got screwed over. Despite having purchased two Emeralds, I obviously have no influence in Donegal. Unless Emerald gets more involved in this situation, this will end my dealings with them....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-01-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

I'm really irritated by this total lack of interest and helpfulness on Emerald's part. I would appreciate any help from those of you who are on a first name basis with Alistair. Maybe you can let him know how one of his customers got screwed over.
Respectfully, this has nothing to do with Emerald.

The US Government taxed you on something they are not supposed to. The screw up is on the US Government's part.

Guitars from Ireland are Zero Rated (no tax). The USG probably did something stupid like made you pay the tax on an item from the UK.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Just got off from an extended instant messaging session with Kevin. I have to take back everything negative I just said. He seems to be going above and beyond to get this "error" sorted out. Evidently, one other customer's guitar from this shipment was held ransom, and that person managed to get the charge reversed. In lieu of that, Alistair said they'd pay half as a "good will gesture." The saga continues...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-01-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Certainly understand you being a bit PO'd RP, I would be too, but that charge is a government thing, I'm not sure why you would expect Emerald to have anything to do with it.

I think we need a new thread discussing this and to use as a follow up for you. It's not right and it would be nice for all to know where the screw up is and what we can expect or do about it. It almost appears to be dependent on the value of the guitar. X30's and 12 strings get hit, but X20's don't.
Good Luck.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Several folks have questioned why I would hold Emerald responsible for what is probably a government error. Kevin told me that out of some 600 guitars shipped into the US annually, this has occurred twice and in the same shipment. However, not all the US-bound guitars in that shipment were charged the extra fee so the responsibility probably falls to a single customs employee who messed up.

That said, I have no idea how US Customs works so I have no idea who or how to contact someone to sort this out. Clearly someone else did and Kevin is going to track down contact info for the other person who got charged and then got the charge reversed. That would be helpful.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, when I sell a guitar I maintain responsibility for that guitar until I hear back from a (hopefully) happy new guitar owner. If for some reason that customer is stuck with some charge from the shipper out of the clear blue, that's on me because I have responsibility for that guitar until it arrives safely and at the price that we agree upon. Keep in mind, I'm just some old fart who buys and sells far too many guitars - I'm not in the business of doing that.

I can't imagine that a company that builds and sells guitars, especially one that has no dealer network and deals directly with the end user, could possibly charge what they charge and then relinquish responsibility for that product once it's out of their sight or out of their country. We can agree to disagree, but nobody is going to convince me that this problem is mine alone to solve. Fortunately, it seems that Alistair and Kevin are now trying to help sort out this mess. We'll see how it plays out....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-01-2019 at 01:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber