The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've heard that guitars take a lot longer than letters to deliver through Richmond. Saki time..............
I anticipate a Friday delivery....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Here we go. Now what guitar did I order???

Your item arrived at the Post Office at 6:14 am on October 31, 2019 in CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA 22906. USPS expects to deliver your package on Thursday, October 31, 2019.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-31-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Hopefully this wasn't as painful for you as the first X20 since you already have the six-string version available to play... Hope you enjoy the 12-string. And the X30 that I'd be willing to bet will be coming along any day now!

Congratulations in advance...

-Ray
Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Hopefully this wasn't as painful for you as the first X20 since you already have the six-string version available to play... Hope you enjoy the 12-string. And the X30 that I'd be willing to bet will be coming along any day now!

Congratulations in advance...

-Ray
Thanks Ray. Actually, the wait was worse because this one got hung up in customs for a week while joelman's flew through. But all's well that ends well, and hopefully it will end well this afternoon. What part of Philadelphia are you from or did we have that conversation previously???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-31-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Here we go. Now what guitar did I order???

Your item arrived at the Post Office at 6:14 am on October 31, 2019 in CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA 22906. USPS expects to deliver your package on Thursday, October 31, 2019.
Tick, tick, tick.

Everybody sing: "Oh, happy day..."
Old 10-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Ray. Actually, the wait was worse because this one got hung up in customs for a week while joelman's flew through. But all's well that ends well, and hopefully it will end well this afternoon. What part of Philadelphia are you from or did we have that conversation previously???
I'm not actually FROM this area, but we've lived here for over 27 years, so it's feeling pretty rooted at this point. We live in West Chester, a small Colonial era town about equidistant from Philly and Wilmington, DE, but well north and west of the I-95 corridor that runs between them. It's an amazing place to live for they bicycling hobby I was deeply into for about 20 years. It's as good as anywhere I guess for playing guitar...

-Ray
Old 10-31-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'm not actually FROM this area, but we've lived here for over 27 years, so it's feeling pretty rooted at this point. We live in West Chester, a small Colonial era town about equidistant from Philly and Wilmington, DE, but well north and west of the I-95 corridor that runs between them. It's an amazing place to live for they bicycling hobby I was deeply into for about 20 years. It's as good as anywhere I guess for playing guitar...

-Ray
I sort of know West Chester. I passed through there last March while visiting my cousin in Langhorne. I'm an ACAC gym member in Charlottesville and spent some time at the really super-dooper branch in West Chester. Also I spent my formative years in Drexel Hill and graduated from Upper Darby...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I sort of know West Chester. I passed through there last March while visiting my cousin in Langhorne. I'm an ACAC gym member in Charlottesville and spent some time at the really super-dooper branch in West Chester. Also I spent my formative years in Drexel Hill and graduated from Upper Darby...
My wife is a member of that ACAC. I used to be but the stuff I was using I could do just as well for $10/month at Planet Fitness. She does a lot of yoga and various other fitness classes and it's a better deal than taking a bunch of yoga classes elsewhere. I tend to just use the cardio machines and weights so it was exorbitant for me. It's a cool place - I kind of miss the pool in the summer, but I wasn't using that enough to justify it either...
Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Ok, this Emerald order just got even stranger. The mail carrier couldn't deliver my guitar today because I have to pay $243.14 in customs fees. Is this for the "specialized examination" that Kevin alluded to or simply storage fees for holding onto it for an extra week? GRRRRRRR........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-31-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The mail carrier couldn't deliver my guitar today because I have to now pay $243.14 in customs fees.

Not that is just crazy talk. I would recommend getting in touch with Emerald when you wake up tommorow, (given the time difference). And/or you can start with an email tonight.

Crazy talk!
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_man View Post
Not that is just crazy talk. I would recommend getting in touch with Emerald when you wake up tommorow, (given the time difference). And/or you can start with an email tonight.

Crazy talk!
Thanks Joel. I already sent an email so they can hopefully deal with this before I awaken. Unfortunately, my cheapie cell phone plan doesn't include international calls. Maybe I can SKYPE....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM

That sucks. But why contact Emerald? What can they do about it?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-31-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic
Old 10-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
That sucks. But why contact Emerald? What can they do about it?
I'm contacting Emerald because they were the seller and said nothing to me, even in the fine print, about having to pay an additional $243.14 customs fee. If this is indeed a legitimate charge then Emerald can reimburse me for paying it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Is it possible that the import rules have changed? If so then Emerald is not aware of it because their FAQ says: "If you are located in the USA you will not have to pay import duty as guitars are zero rated. If you are located in the rest of the world you should check locally about potential import duties."
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 10-31-2019, 05:04 PM

Customs fees came up once about two years ago (?) right at the end of a calendar year or the beginning of the New Year. As I recall that fellow paid the ransom and planned to challenge the fees as a mistake and ask for a refund, but never posted a follow up. None of my Emerald purchases have had this happen, the latest being mid-December 2018.

It is possible that some law or treaty changed as of the new federal fiscal year starting OCT 01, but that would be news to all of us - including many who got their Emerald guitars without fees this month. As far as we know, trade between Ireland and the US is still duty free on guitars. I suspect a bureaucratic error at US Customs, which also caused the delay so far. It's not like Emerald uses Brazilian rosewood or other CITES listed species - they know better.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber