The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-24-2019, 03:07 AM

Default Journey OF660, volume???

I have read a number of times that the Journey OF660 is on the quite side. It seemed most people making this comment played or referred to fingerstyle.

For those that own one or have played one what has been your experience with fingerpicking vs playing with a pick for volume. I realize this is a small bodied guitar so it won’t be a cannon, although my 00 Eastman sure is. I would mostly be sitting around a campfire strumming and singing, although some fingerstyle is possible. It doesn’t have to be super loud, not competing with other instruments but I don’t want it to be muted sounding
Old 08-24-2019, 06:25 AM

I've purchased and returned one. I think it is not the best option for playing for or with others.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-24-2019, 03:21 PM

Thanks Jonesfield, I appreciate the input. I am looking for a guitar I can actually take bicycle touring. So packablity and durability are of prime importance. But tone is always number one priority. I do like the new parlor model and another member returned his OF660 for one because of the sound.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:14 PM

I guess I'll chime in. I bought one about a year ago used and really like it. My one concern is that unamplified it is a little quiet. Having said that I've yet to own any guitar that checks off every box but the Journey comes pretty close. I'm also a fingerstyle guy too, playing with short nails and flesh and occasionally a thumbpick for boom chick rhythm stuff.

I would try one if you can before writing the Journey off. They aren't that quiet and have really nice tone. You could also look at the RT660 which will give you more oomph- but a RainSong is always a safe bet. I've determined I don't care for their necks

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-24-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 AM

I bought one in June from LA guitar. I really liked it at first. The bass isn't that quiet and rings good.

The treble volume is softer but sounds a bit tiny to my ear. The two don't seem to combine that well. Overall it is loud enough for what I use it for.

It is a travel guitar. Yeah, who doesn't like good tone. I bought it to stick in the overhead on a plane - a bit expensive but better than no guitar. I go to warmer and humid parts of S. America and wanted something I didn't have to worry about - I still do though .

In hindsight I should have tried some of the Journey wood travel guitars with the removable necks and taken my chances. Its not like all the wood guitars in SA don't survive the humidity and heat.
I'm with steelvibe
I thought I would like the 1 3/4 neck since I play mostly fingerstyle but it is a tad chunky compared to my two other acoustics and 1 elec.
I'm used to.

If I was doing it over I'd buy the cheapest wood model with a removable neck and call it good.
It might be lighter than the carbon not sure about that. It might take less of a beating on a bike but its a travel guitar it is gonna get used.

As for the tone. I don't do much strumming and just practice fingerstyle tunes on mine.

If all you want is a guitar to take on a bike trip to strum and sing around a campfire I'd spring for the best $200 dollar parlor (or smaller?) that sounded good to me. You could get a gig bag but I'd just strap it on. The bag for the journey is big and would be too big imho for a bicycle let alone a motorcycle.

Last edited by El Duque; 08-25-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:56 AM

I bought the OF660 and ending up swapping it for the wood model with the detachable neck. I got pretty good tone when strumming or flat picking. But with my fingernails, I just couldn’t get the treble volume to match what I was getting from the thumb pick on the bass.

However, here is a video that I think proves the problem was me, not the guitar...

Don Ross plays the Journey OF660...

https://youtu.be/4TFTvSe08Kg

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 08-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I owned an OF660 for a while but it was too quiet fingerpicked and definitely on the dark side. I find it sounds better with a pick though.

I decided to try the First Class FP412 Parlor model when Journey had a kickstarter campaign (bigger body than the Carbon model by the way), and it’s in my opinion a much better guitar, really pleasing voice, more balanced and louder. I’ll sell it at some point, but only because I’ve already found my «*travel keeper*», a Furch Little Jane Spruce-Rosewood.

Journey mentioned that they might introduce a First Class carbon at some point as they received a lot of requests from customers.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post
I'm with steelvibe
I thought I would like the 1 3/4 neck since I play mostly fingerstyle but it is a tad chunky compared to my two other acoustics and 1 elec.
I'm used to
Just for clarity it is the RainSong necks that don't work for me. I actually do like the Journey profile. Not sure the OF660 is the perfect neck but I do like it.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:20 PM

thanks. i kinda glossed over that
Old 08-25-2019, 07:30 PM

It’s interesting that the main knock on the OF660 is the volume. I have one of their wood Overheads (OF420B - solid Sitka/laminated Pau Ferro) and it’s about as much a cannon as a guitar of that size (I’d put it about OO sized) is likely to be. I wonder if there’s something about the top or bracing on the 660 that reduces the volume, or if it the modified cutaway or soundhoel. I’m scratching my head.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
It’s interesting that the main knock on the OF660 is the volume. I have one of their wood Overheads (OF420B - solid Sitka/laminated Pau Ferro) and it’s about as much a cannon as a guitar of that size (I’d put it about OO sized) is likely to be. I wonder if there’s something about the top or bracing on the 660 that reduces the volume, or if it the modified cutaway or soundhoel. I’m scratching my head.
The one I had seemed built for sturdiness and not tone. I can't imagine their CF design has much in common with their wood guitars aside from the metal neck attach hardware. My sample was unforgivably sloppy in its construction. The internal work at the neck block looked bad and the action was way too high even with the lower saddle. These guitars are now carried by MF and Sweetwater and I've got to think they've upped their game. Those guy's business model would not survive products with high return rates.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The one I had seemed built for sturdiness and not tone. I can't imagine their CF design has much in common with their wood guitars aside from the metal neck attach hardware. My sample was unforgivably sloppy in its construction. The internal work at the neck block looked bad and the action was way too high even with the lower saddle. These guitars are now carried by MF and Sweetwater and I've got to think they've upped their game. Those guy's business model would not survive products with high return rates.
I assure you they have upped their game. Somewhere along the line the soundhole even got relocated- has to be a reason for that. The internal work isn't something I've paid much attention to, but even the outside work on the CF layup have had issues (which I've documented before). But hey, while we are at it, what about some of the flat out weird or even ugly tops RainSong has put out when not the uniform traditional weave? Like the weird perimeter line that shows the Taylor style relief route on the outside of the guitar? Not a perfect look IMO and this coming from a fan of RainSong.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post

Not sure why that is, but it is so. I have reached out to Journey suggesting improvement here, maybe in the form of a sound port for player experience. Here are some pics of the top from the inside. There is a noticeable X pattern in front of these little stalactite looking things. The exaggerated enlongated ones are the bridge pins and you can kind of make out the lead wires to the SBT transducers. The OF660 is remarkably warm in tone and a welcome feature for CF IMO.
IMG_2450.jpg
IMG_2451.jpg
IMG_2478.jpg

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-25-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: pic layout
Old 08-25-2019, 08:32 PM

When looking for a travel guitar, I started with a Voyage Air full size dread. Still have it, but it's too large for the overhead limitations on most flights I fly. I then got a center hole Emerald X5 life. Played great and felt great, but the tone was frustrating. Then I tried an OF660 when I was in a store in St. Louis and was blown away. Finally, a big sounding small guitar. It is not overly bright like many travel guitars or even many full size carbon fiber guitars. I happen to love it when I travel and I like that the bass is so big. I have no issues with volume from it. In fact, I'll be taking it to Negril, Jamaica in a week and plugging in at the piano bar and playing along.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
When looking for a travel guitar, I started with a Voyage Air full size dread. Still have it, but it's too large for the overhead limitations on most flights I fly. I then got a center hole Emerald X5 life. Played great and felt great, but the tone was frustrating. Then I tried an OF660 when I was in a store in St. Louis and was blown away. Finally, a big sounding small guitar. It is not overly bright like many travel guitars or even many full size carbon fiber guitars. I happen to love it when I travel and I like that the bass is so big. I have no issues with volume from it. In fact, I'll be taking it to Negril, Jamaica in a week and plugging in at the piano bar and playing along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber