The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Default What To Practice For Old Country/Old Time/Folk?

Woody Guthrie really inspired me to learn to play guitar. I'm a big fan of old country musicians Hank sr, Johnny Cash, the Carters. I am also learning old time banjo with a focus now on Dock Boggs style.

I've been working sporadically on trying to play Bury Me Beneath The Willow for 4 years, in the carter style. I don't play guitar every day. Maybe once a week because i usually focus on banjo. I am wondering what kind of practice should I do if I want to get better in this genre? I can do strumming without a problem with simple chords. I use strummachine.com to work on that. I can pick simple tunes okay too, like the Star Spangled Banner in the Hal Leonard Learn Guitar Book.

But I specifically want to learn in the style of folk/old country. What should I be practising?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:03 AM

I'm going to tell you to practice finger picking but I'm sure others will disagree . But finger picking will let you properly play so many old country and folk songs like

"Nine Pound Hammer" by Merle Travis, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btVAuFMpNr4

"If I needed you" by Townes Van Zandt ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaP8NGML_QE

"Home sweet Home" by Elizabeth Cotten https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzqpRPrHIeo

"Banks of the Ohio" By Doc Watson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exL8koAkt6w

"Mama Tried" By Merle Haggard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loT_pYzi3Vw
Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
Woody Guthrie really inspired me to learn to play guitar. I'm a big fan of old country musicians Hank sr, Johnny Cash, the Carters. I am also learning old time banjo with a focus now on Dock Boggs style.

I've been working sporadically on trying to play Bury Me Beneath The Willow for 4 years, in the carter style. I don't play guitar every day. Maybe once a week because i usually focus on banjo. I am wondering what kind of practice should I do if I want to get better in this genre? I can do strumming without a problem with simple chords. I use strummachine.com to work on that. I can pick simple tunes okay too, like the Star Spangled Banner in the Hal Leonard Learn Guitar Book.

But I specifically want to learn in the style of folk/old country. What should I be practising?
If you are looking to build up a repertoire of songs, I think Music with Ryan has a lot of good lessons. Here is a free one.

Most of his other lessons are pay a-la-carte or a through subscription, like this one.

Many old time standards like these on his site.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Bluegrass and old time are participatory genres. This is porch pickin' music. There are no solo performers in these genres. You need to play with others to learn it. Find a bluegrass or old time music association in your area and jam with them.

I started doing this 10 years ago on mandolin, after having been a guitar picker for over 30 years. In two years I was better on mandolin than on guitar. A huge reason is I had mainly played guitar at home, occasionally, and almost always alone. Sure we all need time in the woodshed, but nothing will help you learn quicker and better than regularly playing with other people, face-to-face (not YouTube, skype, FaceTime, etc.). Other benefits of my weekly jams - I learned a bunch more songs, made new friends and improved on guitar and fiddle a lot in addition to mandolin.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Briscoe Darling: "Just jump in where you can and hang on."
2018 Regal RD40MS
2019 Kentucky KM-606
2022 Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom
Old 10-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post

I am big fan of Mother Maybelle Carter. I play and have played Carter style for years. It took me a long time to figure out a Carter classic song Wildwood Flower that was years ago. But I played everyday and listened to recordings and watched videos when online music can about. The only way to get where you want to go is play more. I know it's tough but a good friend of mine I went to school with and who got me into playing guitar was Randy Bethune. He was a professional musician he went by Randy banjo Bethune he played with Bill Anderson until till his early death. He was an amazing guitar player to and taught me a lot. I love Carter music and Mother Maybelle's guitar playing. I would also suggest or second Music by Ryan's 3 Carter style song books. It will take more time dedicated to playing guitar but you'll like where you end up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write