The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2019, 06:00 AM

Default New Taylor 717 Day....Part Two

My second 717 arrived this morning. Yes, I know....this is my second 717. The first had a bad ding in the case, and it arrived with the case latches open. I didn’t have a good vibe with that order so I returned it. I tried to talk myself out of another one, but Ted at LA Guitars hooked me up this time!

This one has a killer top IMO. I am normally not a bear claw fan, but Ted said this one sounded killer and he wasn’t kidding. The airiness in the sound is unlike anything I’ve ever played. It sounds wonderful. It has more low end than the 717 I sent back and it just sounds more alive. And this is after playing it for 30 minutes before I leave for the day.

Here’s what I dig about these Grand Pacifics. They are punchy, airy, and THICK as anything I’ve ever heard. It has TONS of harmonics in the body, which the previous one didn’t have either. After just a little while with it, it’s my favorite guitar. Instant love, and that is with the Elixirs! Once those come off, look out!

If what you guys say about these opening up is true, I’ll have a monster on my hands in a few weeks!

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg
Old 06-14-2019, 06:15 AM

Very nice!
How does it sound compared to your D18...be as specific as possible.
Ted's great ain't he?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-14-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
My second 717 arrived this morning. Yes, I know....this is my second 717. The first had a bad ding in the case, and it arrived with the case latches open. I didn’t have a good vibe with that order so I returned it. I tried to talk myself out of another one, but Ted at LA Guitars hooked me up this time!

This one has a killer top IMO. I am normally not a bear claw fan, but Ted said this one sounded killer and he wasn’t kidding. The airiness in the sound is unlike anything I’ve ever played. It sounds wonderful. It has more low end than the 717 I sent back and it just sounds more alive. And this is after playing it for 30 minutes before I leave for the day.

Here’s what I dig about these Grand Pacifics. They are punchy, airy, and THICK as anything I’ve ever heard. It has TONS of harmonics in the body, which the previous one didn’t have either. After just a little while with it, it’s my favorite guitar. Instant love, and that is with the Elixirs! Once those come off, look out!

If what you guys say about these opening up is true, I’ll have a monster on my hands in a few weeks!

Attachment 23752

Attachment 23753

Attachment 23754

Attachment 23755
Looks great. Congrats.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 AM

That is sweet looking!
Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Congratulations!

And love at first sight is a good sign....

That old bear must have tried to eat that tree! Lots of character and it makes it very unique. My 717e top has one bear swipe close to where a pickguard would have been and it makes it look a bit like I missed badly with a metal pick. But up real close, you can see it is in the wood - in the grain.

We should get a photo collection - if all the tops are different, the claw could be like a fingerprint.....

I want to play mine.

BluesKing777.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 AM

It was a hell of a journey for you and I am happy that you arrived at where you are at with this one. Big congrats and I'm looking forward to updates.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I give ya 10 days Shades and your mercurial brain will have you sending it back... JUST KIDDING DUDE! That is a lovely instrument and I want to demo one but my local stores have not had any yet. Tho I'm not a Taylor guy, your description of being thick makes me want to try one. I really think Taylor improved on the look with the fatter, rounder looking bridge too.

Best wishes with yer new 717!

eric
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 AM

Gorgeous! Congratulations!
But keep your bear at a distance from that guitar - the top has the perfect amount of clawing already.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Very nice!
How does it sound compared to your D18...be as specific as possible.
Ted's great ain't he?

Ted is the best!

Compared to the D-18, it is older sounding. More airy and refined, and it has more midrange than the Martin. Honestly, the Martin sounds “mushy” in my wife’s words. She preferred the Taylor and said it sounded more like country music. The Martin has that Martin sound, but the 717 just sounds better to me right now. It’s incredible.

The Taylor is louder and more focused, and the Martin sounds softer and mushy. Maybe I just got a good one. What I’m hearing in the Martin now is all lows and highs. It sounds scooped and the 717 sounds like an OM-28 on steroids.

And it is SOOOO comfortable. I found my guitar guys!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Congratulations!

And love at first sight is a good sign....

That old bear must have tried to eat that tree! Lots of character and it makes it very unique. My 717e top has one bear swipe close to where a pickguard would have been and it makes it look a bit like I missed badly with a metal pick. But up real close, you can see it is in the wood - in the grain.

We should get a photo collection - if all the tops are different, the claw could be like a fingerprint.....

I want to play mine.

BluesKing777.

It’s phenomenal. Honestly, I’m thinking about calling Ted back for the 517. But, I’ll give it a week or two before I go all in. It’s such a good guitar!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new GP....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-14-2019, 07:48 AM

Beautiful guitar Shades! In addition to the bear claw, I also see lots of silking in that top. The torrefication makes it look like an old guitar already. I bought a guitar from Ted a couple of years ago, and he is a top-notch retailer! If you think you are in love now, wait until you find your preferred strings and have played it for a couple of months!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:08 AM

Wow! That looks sweet. Enjoy.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Wow - awesome top, bro! I love me some bear claw. So glad you love it - have fun!!
Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Ted is the best!

Compared to the D-18, it is older sounding. More airy and refined, and it has more midrange than the Martin. Honestly, the Martin sounds “mushy” in my wife’s words. She preferred the Taylor and said it sounded more like country music. The Martin has that Martin sound, but the 717 just sounds better to me right now. It’s incredible.

The Taylor is louder and more focused, and the Martin sounds softer and mushy. Maybe I just got a good one. What I’m hearing in the Martin now is all lows and highs. It sounds scooped and the 717 sounds like an OM-28 on steroids.

And it is SOOOO comfortable. I found my guitar guys!
So how much do you want for the D-18, seeing as it sounds so poorly now......just joking....kinda

Congraulations on the new 717 I am happy you are so in love with it. That's a good thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion