The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-09-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Is it worth it

I have an opportunity to get this for $309 and change. Is it worth it?

https://kalabrand.com/collections/tr.../ka-sstu-smt-c
Old 11-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Default worth

I've seen and played this model.
Nice travel uke, but the tone/sound is VERY thin. Probably because of the depth of the sound box.
IMHO, if you are looking for a travel uke, this one may work for you.
If you are looking for a uke to play (for yourself or with groups), probably not the one.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
...the tone/sound is VERY thin. Probably because of the depth of the sound box...If you are looking for a uke to play (for yourself or with groups), probably not the one.
My wife and I have belonged to a community uke group for the last two years, so we're familiar with the genre; quite frankly, the idea of a "travel tenor" (unlike a "travel guitar" where the basic instrument itself is substantially larger) is an answer for which there really is no question - you're losing the fullness and depth of the full-size instrument, there's always the option of moving down to a concert or soprano (each of which has a distinctive tone of its own), and with the surge of interest in ukes in general some makers are producing hybrid "super" instruments that combine elements of other sizes (longer scale or deeper/wider body). I'd sooner go for either a full-size tenor or concert uke - Kala is one of the better-known/regarded brands in this end of the market, and I'm certain that you'll have no problem finding something that'll suit both your needs and your budget...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-10-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-09-2018, 09:56 AM

The Kala Thinline ukes are the ones that I regularly direct people to once they are willing to break the $150 price barrier. It is an instrument that you will likely never "outgrow". In fact, I told a new student exactly that just this week during his lesson. Every single Thinline I've ever played was well made, intonated correctly, and sounded way louder than the thin body should. The gig bag is nice too for travel purposes.

I have not priced them lately, so no comment on whether you are getting a good deal. But they are quite good instruments. I usually suggest avoiding electronics, bling, or the cutaway - unless you really want those - because they add nothing to tone. None of my ukulele have a cutaway because I simply don't play that far up the neck on a uke. Sometimes I get up to frets 9-10 when doing chord inversions, but rarely.

You can find my other thoughts here under "Buying Your First Uke": www.boiseukulelegroup.com/instruction.html
Old 11-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
My wife and I have belonged to a community uke group for the last two years, so we're familiar with the genre; quite frankly, the idea of a "travel tenor" (unlike a "travel guitar" where the basic instrument itself is substantially larger) is an answer for which there really is no question - you're losing the fullness and depth of the full-size instrument, there's always the option of moving down to a concert or soprano (each of which has a distinctive tone of its own), and with the surge if interest in ukes in general some makers are producing hybrid "super" instruments that combine elements of other sizes (longer scale or deeper/wider body). I'd sooner go for either a full-size tenor or concert uke - Kala is one of the better-known/regarded brands in this end of the market, and I'm certain that you'll have no problem finding something that'll suit bith your needs and your budget...
So just to clarify in your opinion it's not really worth it for the other options have a better sound and just as easy to travel with?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
I've seen and played this model.
Nice travel uke, but the tone/sound is VERY thin. Probably because of the depth of the sound box.
IMHO, if you are looking for a travel uke, this one may work for you.
If you are looking for a uke to play (for yourself or with groups), probably not the one.
What would you recommend with playing myself and/or groups?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 PM

I will toss my 2 cents in for what it is worth. We have two replies from two respected members with ukulele experience but giving polar opposite opinions. I come from the ukuele and attend three regular jams, there are members with this travel tenor and I have played them. They are surprisingly loud for a thin body but as physics would dictate not much resonace or sustain. But not a terrible over all tone, loud and punchy.

If this is going to be your one "decent" uke I don't think it will satisfy you over the long haul because you come from guitar. A standard deeper bodied tenor in all solid wood can be had for between 3-400 dollars, Pono, Kala, Ohana to name a few and they would sound much better
Old 11-10-2018, 05:57 AM

I never really understood the "travel" designation for this uke. Ukeleles in general are well-suited for travel simply because they're smaller (than a guitar) but making an already small instrument thinner??

In my mind, a uke is a travel uke because it's made from materials that are less prone to being damaged when traveling... more robust, less affected by changes in tempersture and humidity... and the model indicated by the OP addresses none of that any better than any other laminated b&s uke would.

But.. even if they called it a thinline, I'd likely still ignore it. I like to get as much tone as possible from these little things...and I don't quite see the attraction for thinner bodied ukes.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 11-10-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
I will toss my 2 cents in for what it is worth. We have two replies from two respected members with ukulele experience but giving polar opposite opinions. I come from the ukuele and attend three regular jams, there are members with this travel tenor and I have played them. They are surprisingly loud for a thin body but as physics would dictate not much resonace or sustain. But not a terrible over all tone, loud and punchy.

If this is going to be your one "decent" uke I don't think it will satisfy you over the long haul because you come from guitar. A standard deeper bodied tenor in all solid wood can be had for between 3-400 dollars, Pono, Kala, Ohana to name a few and they would sound much better
You are so right. The one I have was an all-in-one purchase from Amazon which I also used my Amazon credits and only had to pay out of pocket $47 for a $100 Ukulele. Now, yesterday I went to Sam Ash and their selection sucked. Then I went to GC and they had 2 that were just under $200 (and they were the most expensive ones there) and I liked them but still felt the sound compared cost-to-benefit ratio just wasn't there. There wasn't any doubt it had a fuller sound than what I have but didn't feel the sound was $200 worthy.

Also so far not having much luck finding stores with variety; I am planning to hit a few smaller shops this week and if not this coming Saturday.

In the meantime I left GC with a really nice stool and is going to replace my folding chair as the new place to plant myself.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-12-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 AM

These travel ukes are 1.8" depth, a regular uke is 2.8". I have to question the need to save an inch of depth?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments