The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Phil,
I assume it will be a 13 fret guitar? For me, that eliminates the need for a cutaway.

Steve
Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Been waiting for these to show...fun!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 PM
*mahoganut*

Default We now return you to your regularly scheduled...

Well, obviously there have been some delays. There was some progress made, but as it got closer to the Memphis Show I told Mike if he needed to put these aside until after the show that was fine with me - and as it turns out he did need the extra time. Just as well, as I ended up in the hospital briefly just before Memphis and was unable to attend. Hopefully I'll make Santa Barbara next year - and these may be available at that show. It depends on what Mike needs to display.

The new completion date is late September.

A couple of notes, and then on to some pictures.

The "theme" of the guitars, or the design "inspiration", is the Arts & Crafts of the 20s. Now, please, you architects and design professionals don't bother correcting me on the dates. I just like the designs from those years, and other simple design like "Quaker", "Shaker", and "Mission". I certainly never studied architecture and design history, so the ideas for these guitars are "inspired by" in the same sense that some movie is "inspired by a true story". (Never mind that "inspired by a true story" has no more meaning than that someone saw or read or heard a story at one time and subsequent to that time dreamed "this" up! But that's my beef with Hollywood trying to hint that there's a true story behind what you're watching...)

To the point - Ken Chasson built a couple of Arts & Crafts guitars, and between Ken and the new owner they designed every element with regards to architectural historical accuracy. These "twins" are not that kind of build.

That said, most of the designs as created are from Mike's fertile imagination. We did have a few discussions - but mostly I said "yes - I really like that idea!" So all credit to Mike.

He has built one other OO - the spec guitar he showed at Memphis. That guitar was well received, confirming the new shape and dimensions as achieving the goals for a new Meridian-based OO.

I will now stand down with my comments and offer a progress report in pictorial fashion!

Bending the sides. "Tree" sides are tricky - because of the flat-sawn highly figured nature, it's very easy to split them. I've heard stories of a well-known guitar shop (big shop) which split dozens of "tree" sides. Hard way to make kindling...

The second image shows the Spanish cedar (I think) slats for the double sides.

Neck woods ready for cutting and shaping. And one of the backs joined and glued.

And the two lovely tops! The first is the Colorado Blue spruce for the OM; the second is the LS redwood for the OO. You can see the basic body shape of each. They share the top bout size and shape with the Meridian; the lower bouts are about 1/2" smaller (OM) and 1" smaller (OO) at the widest point.

More tomorrow!
Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 PM

Mike's material is unbelievable, and his instruments are gorgeous! Great choice Sir!

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I'm excited to see this thread back at the top!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I'm excited to see this thread back at the top!
+1.
Steve
Old 09-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Been waitin,

glad to see it pop back up!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 AM
*mahoganut*

Thanks guys - I'm excited as well!

Here's a few more...

It's hard to see how well matched the backs are, depending on the light. In the first picture, it looks like the grain is off a full "wave", but in the second, with a different light position you can see how well matched the back halves are.

Successfully bent side. And the cutaway for the OM in the bending form.

And into the jig the sides go!
Second shot is a close up of the beautiful straight and tight grain on the LS top. I have John Mayes to thank for finding this top (thanks John!!).
Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 AM
*mahoganut*

From a trip back in April - a visit to Mike's (new at that time) shop, and the joined backs for both guitars.

(and that's me, not Mike!)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:20 AM
*mahoganut*

Default Side ports ...

All Mike's ideas here. The port design is a stylized flower or lily "in the style of" A&C design.

Mike came up with the basic shape, and then had to figure out how to 1) make it strong enough to last, and 2) keep it strong through the rest of the construction of the guitar - sanding, etc.

The "stem" he designed to perform that strength function - the two lines of the stem will be inlaid with carbon fiber.

Gluing in the CF stem. Completed (for this stage) port - the cut-outs will remain in place through the body construction and sanding, and will be removed toward the end of the build, and finished at that time.

Both ports ready for the next step...
Old 09-09-2015, 05:33 AM
*mahoganut*

Default The rosette...

Mike drafted up several different possible designs and ideas for the rosette. In my April visit he showed me the direction he was headed, and I really liked what he had come up with. It had elements of both elegance and a playful stylistic subtlety that will be only noticeable to those of us who look closely at the details in our custom guitars.

One thing that my wife does not like - who is not really otherwise engaged in my guitar "habit" - is the use of shell, whether pearl or abalone, in any color, as part of the inlays. That's one reason she's always liked my Baraniks - Mike does wonderful things with wood inlays.

First shot is of the basic form and materials, and you can see one of the reference pictures that Mike used as "inspiration" (my definition of "inspired by" is in an earlier post...). The second is the design with more detail added. The leaf and lily theme will be inlaid in VERY small pieces into the rosette.

Note these are being inlaid into some leftover pieces of the "tree" back and sides.

The inlays complete, and ready for removal and inlaying as a single piece into the tops.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:40 AM
*mahoganut*

Default The rosette, continued...

All pieces in place. I have always liked bound soundholes, and you can see that the center binding is in place at this point, along with the purfling rings and inlaid rosette.

So you want to be a luthier? One of the requirements is a mind-blowing attention to detail!

The rosettes on both the Blue Spruce and LS tops. Finish will make them "pop", but I also like how they look dry.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:45 AM
*mahoganut*

Default Preparing the tops

Primary bracing

In the vacuum press (I think that's what it's called...). And the two tops with all bracing glued in place.

Hand-carved braces.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:47 AM
*mahoganut*

Default Distinctive touches

Mike has his name / serial number plates laser cut on wood.

And then glued in place on each back.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:51 AM
*mahoganut*

Default Box completion

The OM (note the cutaway). And both boxes pose for a shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop