The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 AM

Default beginners/intermediate might find my article on chords & scales for composing useful

It talks about what notes to omit, how to tell what scales work over what chord and vice versa.

Take a look at -

http://jrtheories.webs.com/significant-notes

Criticism is always welcome and I'll gladly help anyone having trouble, there are quite a lot of articles over there on more advanced topics too
Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Thanks joe I bookmarked it and will read it
Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 AM

Thanks for the link! I've just read through a bunch of your theory articles and there is some very interesting and useful stuff there.

I quite enjoy the composition side of music (multi-tracking guitar, bass, keys etc though nothing particularly complex or "fancy") and this has given me some new ideas and things to try.

Particularly the modal stuff, I try to keep it in the back of my mind (and I guess it's there whether you're thinking about it or not), but I don't think I've ever tried to do something specifically to emphasise a particular modal sound. But that sounds like a fun thing to try
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Reynolds View Post
It talks about what notes to omit, how to tell what scales work over what chord and vice versa.

Take a look at -

http://jrtheories.webs.com/significant-notes

Criticism is always welcome and I'll gladly help anyone having trouble, there are quite a lot of articles over there on more advanced topics too
I couldn't get past this quote;
Quote:
Secondly, suppose he wishes to accompany the lead player by playing a 13 chord, this chord has 7 notes in it (1-3-5-7-9-11-13). Since the 13 chord has 7 notes and the guitar only has 6 strings, it is vital that a note is omitted in order to accomodate the rest of the chord. So, how do we know which notes to omit?
Now keeping in mind that a 9 is a compound 2nd, an 11 is a compound 4th and a 13 is a compound 6th you appear to be saying that a 13th chord contains every note in the diatonic scale. When I was doing theory a 13th chord was made up of 1, 3, 5, flat7 and 6 or an octave of 6, and on guitar you weren't too fussy about which way round you built your chords. Can you explain?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post

Now keeping in mind that a 9 is a compound 2nd, an 11 is a compound 4th and a 13 is a compound 6th you appear to be saying that a 13th chord contains every note in the diatonic scale. When I was doing theory a 13th chord was made up of 1, 3, 5, flat7 and 6 or an octave of 6, and on guitar you weren't too fussy about which way round you built your chords. Can you explain?
13th chords in theory include all of the lower (than the 13) extensions. In practice and particularly in practice on guitar we omit lower extensions (above the 7th) if not also the fifth, and often the root (except when playing solo). But the 9 and 11 are still legit chord tones for the 13th.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post

Looks like I got to this post a little too late. But yes, what ombudsman said

Generally a 13th chord is regarded as (1-3-5-7-9-11-13).
Functionally, you could play it like you said, as (1-3-5-7-13), but that would not have all of the tones of a 13 chord in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write