The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Default Martin DC-18e vs OMC-18e

I'm looking for something to play on the gig that's close to my standard D-18. Can't find any DC-18e's locally but there's a used OMC-18e in the area. Not very near, but close enough.

Anyone got either of these guitars, and can weigh in on the differences? Much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 AM

Gary Roberts has owned both of these guitars, he'd be a good one to get an opinion from.

I owned an OMC-18e. I loved the guitar but did not like the neck shape, it caused my left thumb tendinitis. I don't think it will mimic a D-18 very well, but it will have that dark lush Martin sound. When amplified you can EQ it to sound however you want.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:27 AM

Not sure if a OMC is the answer, in fact it is remotely diff. to a D-18 in every way. What about a GPC-18e? Bigger body.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Listen to Gary's new video of his DC-18e. "Number one gig acoustic"

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I think you have to go look at the guitar. I have a custom shop OM-18 that can definitely hang with it's bigger brothers.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Listen to Gary's new video of his DC-18e. "Number one gig acoustic"
+1... Gary's DC-18 has the Anthem and sounds awesome; fat, full and punchy! However, most of the 18e series come with the VTE system which has a single Aura image mixed in and a SBT. You can not adjust the amount of the mix between the Matrix UST and Aura image.

** As a full-time working musician, I was looking at these to accompany my beloved MIJ Takamines. I demo'd the VTE extensively in the DC-18, GP-18, OMC-18, OMC-35 and even the OMC-15. All the guitars themselves were great unplugged and should be picked per your tonal and size preferences and in that regard I liked the DC-18 and GP-18 the most, especially the GP... a happy medium between a dread and OM!

*** Plugged in tho the VTE fell way short for my needs as a plug n play performer when running it thru my Loudbox. It sounds thin, bright and quacks at any harder attack. When you add some enhance (SBT) to offset the quack and fatten it up like you would expect, any fair amount to do so gets brittle, hollow and more feedback prone... especially at the volumes I play at.

**** So I ended up with the 000-18e Retro because it had F1Aura Plus system which is a Matrix UST that is blendable with 9 different Aura Images and also has a great mid tone control which also fattens up the sound... I found the F1AP to be the one that sounds most like the actual guitar itself. Unfortunately they discontinued the F1AP in favor of the simpler VTE which doesn't hold a candle to the F1AP or the Anthem.

***** So Wags, after listening to some of your videos to see how you play in that flesh finger style, I would look into the GP-18, but order it with the Anthem. You'll find it has an easy plug n play ability to easily dial in your tone... you'll get the full-bodiness of the GP size yet with even balance for the type of music I heard you playing and the Anthem will certainly compliment that!

eric

Last edited by noledog; 07-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:24 PM

Thanks for all the info. Maybe I'll consider installing a LR Baggs in my D-18. I could live without the cutaway. I might try some different strings on my 314, maybe move up to medium gauge. Difficult to find all the different models to demo, really difficult to find a DC-18 with the Baggs. Seems like Martin likes to discontinue models after a year or so.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 PM

PS - Any issues I should be wary of when I go from lights to medium strings on my 314?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi Wags, Gary Roberts here. I owned the OMC-18e with Fishman Aura VT enhance for over a year or more. It was a great guitar acoustically and was very impressive acoustically. It was 'adequate' amplified. I came to dislike the 27 hour battery life of the Fishman Aura VT enhance. It is supposed to have an LED internally to let you know when its weak, but I never saw it. I had the Pickup die (dead battery) a couple times at gigs and that was very disconcerting. The other issue for me was the Aura VT Enhance was rather feedback prone. It was a hotter pickup and I also felt it sounded a bit less natural. the "Enhance" knob for me was a waste. the more enhance I dialed in, the more hollow and worse my tone became. Yes it made the top more percussive and responsive but when tone tone is less than pleasing, I couldn't care less about being able to tap or pound on the top.

I also came to realize that even though it was amplified, the OMC sounded smaller (like an OM does when you compare it to a dreadnought like a D-18.)

Once I got my DC-18 with Baggs Anthem and gigged it, I was thrilled and no longer interested in gigging OM's. The DC-18 w/Baggs Anthem is superb and I prefer it to every Taylor Ive played, especially when Amplified. I am NOT a fan of the Taylor ES2 Pick up. Too much string noise, fingerboard squeak and I feel it gets 'hollow' sounding and lacks punch.''

It is frustrating that Martin seems to have discontinued the DC-18 w/ Baggs Anthem. I would keep my eye out for one and jump on it if you find one. I will NOT buy one with the Fishman Aura VT Enhance. Period.

The Baggs Anthem is much more feedback resistant and the battery lasts for months. (And it has an LED Battery indicator that makes it easy to check battery life) And the BEST part? The Baggs Anthem sounds super natural amplified.

I don't purport to be an expert. But I do have a lot of experience with both guitars and with the Baggs Anthem versus the Fishman Aura VT Enhance.

You are welcome to email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

I posted a video yesterday of my DC-18E recorded at home. Let me know if this helps?

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Thanks Gary, I'm keeping my eyes peeled. In the meantime I'm going to try some different strings on my 314 and mess with my Tone Dexter. You've got a great sounding rig.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Thanks Gary, I'm keeping my eyes peeled. In the meantime I'm going to try some different strings on my 314 and mess with my Tone Dexter. You've got a great sounding rig.
Thanks Wags, that's just my man cave studio/music room rig. Works great for the space I have to work with. But I get even better-amplified sound from my Bose L1 compact system.

The Guitar and pick up combination however is always musical and rewarding. Very feedback resistant, natural-sounding and easy to use.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion