The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Seeking Pick Up Recommendations for my Martin 000-28

Hello, all. A few months ago I sought your counsel when I was searching for just the right Martin guitar. I am so grateful for your recommendations and am happy to report I found my dream guitar: a 2017 Martin 000-28, 1 11/16 nut width, and a 24.9 neck scale. I could not be happier.

Now, I am once again seeking your counsel. What brand and model pick up do you recommend for this guitar? One that authentically reflects its beautiful tone and one that is relatively immune to feedback and one that is easy to operate and change its battery.

Thank you so much! Sincerely, Lori
Old 07-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum Lori! Glad to have you with us. The only "easy" battery change is NO battery change in your situation. I'd recommend a K&K Mini passive sound board (bridge plate) transducer. They are inexpensive and you'll have minimal hardware inside you 000-28. That leaves you with a straight (passive) line out to whatever source you're plugging into. While The K&K Mini has a fairly strong output for a passive SBT it works best with an outboard preamp/DI box between the guitar and the acoustic amp or PA. K&K makes one that works well with their pickups. I prefer the LR Baggs Session DI and use it weekly.
You will no doubt get many replies with all sorts of suggestions. There are lots of great pickups out there. I just like the minimalistic approach inside my guitar while the more serious hardware is on the outside between the guitar and the PA or amp you're plugging into. And many preamps will work on 48 volt phantom power when using an XLR cable between the preamp/DI box and the board or amp.
Hope this makes some sense and helps...by the way...congrats on the 000-28!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-15-2019, 02:30 PM

I put a Fishman Ellipse pickup in my Martin 000-18. with the Ellipse, you can download four different Mic Images (Fishman created the images with a series of vintage classic Mic's in their collection) into the pickup and blend them with the under-saddle pickup for a very natural mic'd sound. It takes away the "quack" of the undersaddle pickup alone. Very easy to dial in and the results through an acoustic amp are an impressive, rich, Mic'd tone.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori8454 View Post
Hello, all. A few months ago I sought your counsel when I was searching for just the right Martin guitar. I am so grateful for your recommendations and am happy to report I found my dream guitar: a 2017 Martin 000-28, 1 11/16 nut width, and a 24.9 neck scale. I could not be happier.

Now, I am once again seeking your counsel. What brand and model pick up do you recommend for this guitar? One that authentically reflects its beautiful tone and one that is relatively immune to feedback and one that is easy to operate and change its battery.

Thank you so much! Sincerely, Lori
Are you playing at volumes or in situations where you'd be concerned about feedback being an issue?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Thank you for your question. I will be playing with three other people at Open Mics, some that are inside and some that are outside.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM

+1 for the K&K

I have several in various guitars and have been 100 percent happy with them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 PM

+2 for the K&K and I would consider looking into a Tonedexter if you really want to replicate the great sound of that Martin 000-28.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 07-21-2019, 02:43 PM

It’s expensive but I found the Trance Amulet to be the most natural sounding pickup I’ve ever used. You can get one with a Phantom Power connection and not have to worry about a battery in your guitar. I’ve used Fishman, Baggs but in my opinion K&K Pure Mini would be my second choice. Look up the Trance Amulet at Maury’s Music.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion