The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Yamaha Japan vs Yamaha China

I am among those eagerly awaiting the arrival in stores of the Yamaha red label models, available in 3 (China) and 5 (Japan) versions.

I stopped by a Sam Ash today and they had on display an AC3R (China) and and AC5R (Japan). Both sounded fantastic, and I took a real close look at the detail of construction. It was difficult to find flaws in either guitar, but to me the seam where the fingerboard meets the top was a little cleaner on the 3, as was the visible parts of the interior. It will be interesting to compare the red label models.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:36 PM

While Yamaha produces instruments in several countries, their operations management is frequently (if not always) Japanese. It seems they keep a very tight ship in all their plants. I have a Yamaha bass made in Indonesia and can tell you the quality of craftsmanship is as good as basses costing 4x as much. It's rare that you'll see an instrument with the Yamaha name on it that isn't close to perfection, at any price level.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 PM

I played an FG3 just the other day while shopping for my new guitar...It was one of my favourite ones of the day in terms of playability and tone. I cannot believe some of the product Yamaha is putting out these days at the prices they are asking...pretty awesome...The fit an finish generally is really good for sure...

Their value for money is hard to ignore...so much so that I ended up purchasing a Yamaha product in the end...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 PM

I own an FG-180 50th and wonder how the FG3 and FG5, would compare. If anyone has played all three, please post your impressions.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 PM

I'm hoping somewhere in the city nearest me gotta the new red labels in stock, very anxious to try one.

I have a China built LL16. Immaculate, I can find no flaws besides the joint at the back of the headstock isn't perfectly perpendicular to the neck, it's at a slight angle if that makes any sense, just a visual thing.
Unbelievable guitar, not my go to neck profile but it is so quick that I really love it.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:15 AM

I own a Yamaha A3M 2018 that I have owned for a few months and it is a really great sounding guitar. The pick up in these guitars is really good too. To my ears they sound better than Taylors ES2 system. I paid 800 bucks for mine. I say to anyone out there if you can find a better sounding and playing guitar than this one for 800 bucks then you really should buy it. Mine is a keeper.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Had an LS-16ARE I loved but finally its clear cristal sounds became boring to my ears.
Tried an LL-16ARE I did not like. These are made in China.
Tried an LL-26, made in Japan, but found it too expensive (twice the LL-16 ARE)
So, you may find a very good one "made in China" for less much less than a good one "made in Japan".

Last edited by mawmow; 11-13-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Had an LS-16ARE I loved but finally its clear cristal sounds became boring to my ears. Tried an LL-16ARE I did not like. These are made in China.
Tried an LL-26, made in Japan, but found it too expensive (twice the LL-16 ARE)
So, you may find a very good one "made in China" for less much less than a good one "made in Japan".
How did you find that LL26?

They apparently are much more lightly built than the typical Yamaha, better resonance, higher build quality, etc...

These guys do a pretty good job of running through what it means to buy a handcrafted LL out of Japan (LL26, LL36, LL56) -->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8nn6xRGpA
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 07-21-2019, 08:27 AM

The Chinese made LLs simply have too much bracing to give the complete thrill of playing guitar which includes vibrational mojo.
Their cheap FGs and FSs are pretty good.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:15 AM

I have a Yamaha A5M and an A3M. The A5 is from Japan. The A3, China. The A5 has better appointments and sounds more three dimensional than the A3, which also sounds good. Both have the A.R.E. torrified tops. I think the A5 has a better top or was better Q.C'd?
Unfortunately, hardly anyone I know looks inside their guitars to see the quality of the inside build. The A5 gets a C minus. The A3 gets a B++. For something coming from the Yamaha Japan custom shop, you'd think they'd do a better inside build, but they didn't. The A3 from China was very good but could've been an A+ if they paid any attention to the glue overrun & other nit-picky things.
I love the sound of the A5 but the inside build was very disappointing and I might send that guitar back to Yamaha to send to Japan for a Q.C. review on how NOT to build a custom shop guitar.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
I have a Yamaha A5M and an A3M. The A5 is from Japan. The A3, China. The A5 has better appointments and sounds more three dimensional than the A3, which also sounds good. Both have the A.R.E. torrified tops. I think the A5 has a better top or was better Q.C'd?
Unfortunately, hardly anyone I know looks inside their guitars to see the quality of the inside build. The A5 gets a C minus. The A3 gets a B++. For something coming from the Yamaha Japan custom shop, you'd think they'd do a better inside build, but they didn't. The A3 from China was very good but could've been an A+ if they paid any attention to the glue overrun & other nit-picky things.
I love the sound of the A5 but the inside build was very disappointing and I might send that guitar back to Yamaha to send to Japan for a Q.C. review on how NOT to build a custom shop guitar.
A5 is not a custom shop guitar. Almost all the guitar is built in China. Parts are then apparently shipped to Japan and assembled.

I believe the only guitars that are fully built in their Japan custom shop are the higher tier 26/36/56 line.

This was discussed in another thread on here not too long ago.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-12-2020, 10:45 PM

I have a Yamaha LL500, which was the top of the line from1999-2003 before the LL26/36 came out. It came from the same custom shop in Japan. It is an incredible instrument, with impeccable craftsmanship and hangs with my Goodall. If anything, it is actually more articulate than my Goodall. The Japanese-made LL’s are made by single luthiers, handcrafted. The Chinese made LL6/16’s , while they are great guitars, just aren’t in the same league.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 11-13-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
A5 is not a custom shop guitar. Almost all the guitar is built in China. Parts are then apparently shipped to Japan and assembled.

I believe the only guitars that are fully built in their Japan custom shop are the higher tier 26/36/56 line.

This was discussed in another thread on here not too long ago.
I searched this site but wasn't able to find that post. I did find this in an internet search: Yamaha manufactures all A5 acoustic guitars in its Japanese factory. Other reviews said: crafted in Japan, made in Japan. I have since corrected my post that mentions A5 series built in the custom shop. I did note that several of the 2017 NAMM videos, the Yamaha rep explicitly said the A5 series were built in Yamaha's Custom Shop. That's probably where the information was originally regarded as fact but not so now.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:59 AM

I played an LS-16(China) and an LS-26(Japan) side by side, no real difference could be told TBH, at least can not do justice to the price difference
Old 11-13-2020, 05:21 AM

Just a couple of weeks back I played an AC5R and 3 back-to-back at one of the GCs here in Atlanta. It was not an ideal situation for comparison (people wailing away on electrics outside the acoustic room), but while they did not sound the exactly the same, I can't say that I had any preference.

What blew me away was how good both sounded compared to the guitar I originally went to play--the new Taylor GT. They made the Taylor sound like some kind of cheap plastic toy, although it was the same price as the 5 model. Admittedly inventory is low due to Covid, but there was nothing there that day that I picked up that sounded as good as those Yamahas. Now I am REALLY wanting to try a red label model.

BTW, my son is a drummer, and he is just as happy with his China stuff as the older Japan stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion