The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Clapton acknowledged that hearing The Band was the last straw prompting him to leave Cream. Instead of a battling feud on stage, they seemed to him to be a band of partners. The closest Eric got to that ideal was the Delaney and Bonnie group.
Of course, they eventually became a “battling feud” offstage, and that prevented any reunions from happening. I guess they stopped before it really infected their on-stage performances. They were pros - they’d been playing together since their teens. They were tight, they were loose, they were ALL that...

-Ray
Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 AM

I didn’t purchase that double vinyl 45rpm newish release of Music from Big Pink because with my fishing line and rubber band fully manual Ortofon loaded turntable it would mean having to switch the belt on the spool, but I’ll probably go back and purchase it.

I appreciated the easy flowing give and take between musicians on The Basement Tapes - that kind of egalitarianism makes for great results when everyone is listening to each other.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I've been listening to them for 40 years, and they still sound fresh.

Levon Helm is my favorite, but they could all bring it.

I agree with the idea that there are parallels with the Beatles. Their influence continues to this day in what is now called Americana.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:32 AM

I recommend Levon Helms' book, "This Wheels' on Fire". It is a great read and chronicles the history of the Band from it's inception to the break up.

Also Levon had a bit of an acting career. Check him out as Loretta Lynn's father in "Coal Miner's Daughter". He does a pretty good job. He has been in a few other movies too.

Levon also hosted his "Midnight Ramble" jam sessions with lots of well know musicians. There are some performances on youtube.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Levon played Ridley in The Right Stuff.
Check You Tube for The Band, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."
Powerful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jREUrbGGrgM

Ed
Old 01-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Default Eric Clapton's The Band Hall of Fame induction

Listen to Clapton lamenting not being IN The Band. He quit Cream to try and join the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBQw_COaQc
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Agreed on all points of their music still sounding "fresh." And at the same time, it sounds older than it is too, if that makes any sense.

Fantastic stuff...a "band" well worth digging in to.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

There is a terrific 6 part documentary on the band on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI7C...gVynN2MNchz1v-

This is part 4. Find part 1 and watch. You may not be able to find all the parts. If not, watch videos of them from the early 70's.
I played the album "Big Pink" incessently for about a year or two. Fine songwriting, intriguing lyrics. They really were a "band." There wasn't "a star." They were equals. At least that's what I heard. The album is "real" not "produced." It's music from the heart and soul that connects to a different time. Even a different time from when it was recorded. It's evocative and down to earth. It's mysterious and accessible.

The movie "The last Waltz" captures just a tiny sliver of the magic that was there in an earlier time of the Band's existence. The balance is shifted in the movie. It's produced. The "realness" has been replaced. But some of the magic remains, especially for those who knew the Band in earlier times.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-18-2019, 02:03 PM

When playing on the unit where I work or at the assisted living/memory care home where my MIL lives I introduce "The Weight" as the song everyone knows but no one remembers the song title or the name of The Band. Invariably someone is singing along or mouthing the chorus with me.

They had a BUNCH of really great material.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

...love love love The Band....I”m still listening to and learning their stuff...I put together a ragtime version of Ophelia last summer...Levon’s last two records are both fantastic...check em out if you haven’t done so...
Old 01-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Powerful song.

Ed
He also played Gen Jeb Stuart In the Electric Mist.
et al
Old 01-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
Powerful song.

Ed
He also played Gen Jeb Stuart In the Electric Mist.

And he made his acting debut in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter." He played Loretta Lynn's father.

Levon's wake was open to the public and so many people, including myself, paid our respects to Levon. He gave so much to our town. He played many benefits and did many acts kindness. He was well loved. The main road into Woodstock is named after him: "Levon Helm Boulevard."
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Check the films- playing live, these guys really nailed it to the wall! The rhythm section was off-beat and in the pocket, at the same time.

The Band was the American Beatles. Both groups spent almost a decade on the roadhouse circuit, sharpening their axes. Both sang of characters acting out mystery plays in an invented landscape. While George Martin enhanced the Beatles recordings with strings and effects, Garth Hudson's organ painted backdrops of circus and sea, whimsies of harmony from an underappreciated wizard of the keyboard.

After The Last Waltz/rooftop concert, both bands took a break from the road, agreeing to reunite for recordings. With both, it never happened. John was distanced from his fellow Fabs by Yoko, and heroin. Going by "Testimony," Robbie's book, the heroin was enough.
In the interest of accuracy...

America may claim The Band as their own, and although it’s true that they sure were able to capture “Americana” in stories and music, all but American (Ark) Levon Helm actually hailed from southwestern Ontario, Canada. So, with an 80% Canadian contingent, if there’s a comparison to the Beatles, it can be argued they were the Canadian Beatles.

The boys knew what it would take to make it to the big time and in those days, to write about Canadiana wasn’t going to get it done. Canada’s The Guess Who knew that (think “American Woman”) as did Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and many other notable Canadian artists. The first pretty successful Canadian band to not give-in to predominant American references in music was The Tragically Hip, who for so many Canadians was refreshing to see ourselves and places mirrored to us...finally (exception, “New Orleans Is Sinking”). Not that we don’t love all of our “American” mega stars. You can have Céline Dion though.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-18-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

To one and all: You will be forgiven by at least one (me) if you don't "get" The Band at all. Another band that I tried awfully to "get" for years on end and failed miserably. Loose rhythm section, quirky tones on all the instruments, definitely quirky vocals. Special taste. Never made it through the movie, either. Sorry.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
When playing on the unit where I work or at the assisted living/memory care home where my MIL lives I introduce "The Weight" as the song everyone knows but no one remembers the song title or the name of The Band. Invariably someone is singing along or mouthing the chorus with me.

They had a BUNCH of really great material.
Great music indeed. The weight is one of those songs I keep on playing. It’s a great jam song. We’ve done all kinds of ungodly things to that tune.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic