The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clallam View Post
You assume correctly, I do want to work them out for myself. I won't learn by reading them.

In case you haven't found them yet, the answers (and a bunch of other info) are posted at http://www.flatpick.com/Flatpicking_...als_s/2015.htm
I did know that at one point but then forgot all about, thanks for the point. I'm going to resist taking the easy route and looking up the answer but I will if I get stuck or feel I need to verify something.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:03 PM

So I am back to where I took a break from last time I am working between exercises 16-18.

18 kicks my butt. Getting my fingers to the 0-1h2 after the first g in time kills me. I can do it in time at 40BPM any faster it falls apart.

Had the same problem earlier in the book. Just gotta keep picking it at a clean pace, then it will come around. I play through some pieces earlier in the book that killed me before and now they are a breeze.

- Matt
Old 12-19-2016, 09:18 AM

To make some use of time I worked through the homework for example 9. At the flatpicking site he shows some alternate walkups so I captured that as well. What I did next is to create one exercise which encompasses the standard walkup as well as the alternates. I'll practice them individually to get mechanics then musically then I'll start to include the consolidated one to practice my whole key. I think that as I come across alternate walks I'll end up growing my consolidated one for each key.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent75 View Post
So I am back to where I took a break from last time I am working between exercises 16-18.

18 kicks my butt. Getting my fingers to the 0-1h2 after the first g in time kills me. I can do it in time at 40BPM any faster it falls apart.

Had the same problem earlier in the book. Just gotta keep picking it at a clean pace, then it will come around. I play through some pieces earlier in the book that killed me before and now they are a breeze.
Glad to see that your earlier hard pieces are now easy pieces. It would be frustrating to have to start all back over.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:12 AM

Alright my Christmas program is over so I can dedicate part of my practice towards this, and I'm happy for it. I'm going to go right back to the beginning and work through the exercises again. I expect that to go quickly and then get to exercise 9, which is where I left off.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 PM

Practiced today. One more session and I'll be "back in it" and ready to start working on Exercise 10. As some have mentioned already the lessons and exercises on Exercises 8, 9 & 10 can work together once each has been learned.

My exercise will be a sequence doing a leading tone, then Walk-up, then Walk-down.

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 12-27-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:28 PM

I know Exercise 11 starts to mix things up but I don't think I'm ready for it. I can do Exercises 8, 9 & 10 by themselves but I have massive difficulties when trying to switch back and forth. With that in mind I used the exercised in the book and made one that is all about doing Leading Tone, Walking Up, and Walking Down for G & C.

When you see the below and you notice I'm going from G -> C for Leading Tone and I'm repeating it 10 times I'm not really walking from C -> G as the literal sheet says. I'm just going from G -> C and then from G -> C again and when I've done it 10 times I do the same thing for Walking Up then again for Walking Down.

As silly and over-doing it as this sounds I'll do the same thing for C -> D and then for D -> C. I don't think it will take long to get this down at 100 BPM, which seems to be what the recorded exercises are at. When that happens I'll move on to Exercise 11 and hopefully will have organically improved.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:18 PM

Bumping the thread for those of us working on FE1...

I'm focused on the G runs and Example 19 right now. I've been guilty of pushing forward a bit too fast, rather than patiently practicing the basics to cement good habits. Every once in a while, Miller will say something that really hits home. For example, he points out that pick direction discipline can fall prey to embellishments and slurs and can ruin your timing, something that is very true for me. Some of the exercises are pretty basic. Yet when I run through them for the first few times, they can serve to highlight some of the inadequately-formed habits that still need work. There are instructional goldmines in our mistakes.

Out of curiosity, WM, what software program did you use to tab out the exercise above? That looks so much cleaner than my hand-written tab!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrwhit View Post
Out of curiosity, WM, what software program did you use to tab out the exercise above? That looks so much cleaner than my hand-written tab!
I'm obviously not Mr. Wonder, but that must be Guitar Pro 6. It looks like he's doing what I do, using it for practice..

It's a great program by the way.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Hope I'm not too late

I've owned these books for a few years now and never really applied myself to work through them. I think I'm in a position now to commit. I'll start from the beginning again and try to work hard to "catch-up" to you folks. I'm really glad to see this type of group started. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:33 PM

Welcome to the forum bgremill! The AGF is a great place, and has a lot to offer.

I don't think anyone will be "behind" because there's varying levels of skill with which one might be approaching this series. I've played for over twenty years, but I'm a beginner flatpicker. (Changing cowboy chords, for instance, is not a challenge for me. But keeping time is. Go figure; I'm Steve Martin in the "The Jerk".) I bet that you're in good company here in this thread. Hopefully we can help each other along the way.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

In FE Vol 1, I'm up to Examples 16-17 incorporating 1/8 notes. More challenging than the preceding examples for sure but sounds more interesting musically. I was playing example 16 at around 100 bpm, wondering if I can get it up to 110-120 bpm. Worked out the mechanics of Ex. 17 last night and had it going at 70-80 bpm. It will sound nice when I have it smooth at 100-110 bpm.

This is great material. It supplements the Bluegrass and Roots Music Rhythm course I am taking on Peghead Nation. The two in combination seem to be a good work plan to gain a solid foundation in flatpicking skills.

The funny thing about flatpicking to me is that I am not really a bluegrass fan at all but I have enjoyed playing the country/bluegrass song examples in the Peghead Nation course work. I'm applying what I am learning to music l like to play. That's pretty cool too.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-17-2017, 04:31 PM

Nice goin' Bob! Making solid progress it sounds like. Fully agree that this is great material. I'm still churning through the same pages as last week, but I'm slowly getting better with some of the things that are proving difficult. The rest stop is something I need to work on because I still have the tendency to accidentally sound an adjacent string. For instance, in the simplest form of a G Run, I sometimes misjudge the force needed to perform a rest stop on the G note, and accidentally hit the adjacent B string instead of coming to rest on it. Because I value my marriage, I wait until my wife is not in the house so that I can play all those G-Runs over and over and over. I'm pretty sure that she hates the song "Wildwood Flower" by now.

Some of the "mixing it up" examples are really good, but they may be insufficient on their own to cement some of these lessons into my thick head. I think I'll be spending some time in the next few weeks on making my own "mixing it up" style progressions, incorporating G-runs (and rest stops), slurs, and various bass-runs. I also want to take the advice of trying to transcribe some bass runs of early pioneers in an effort to work on ear training--something I'm ashamed to admit that I've neglected due to the ever-tempting call of readily-accessible tab.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll take advantage of them in the future.

I looked at the Peghead Nation site and think I will give some of their courses a try in the future. I probably won't do it right now since I'm moving so slowly. I feel I would waste money on a subscription at this time. I have some of the Homespun DVDs and now they are for paid for I don't care how many months it takes me to get through them. I find a video makes it easier to figure out what the book is asking me to do.

I'll look at Guitar Pro too. Writing the homework out by hand is good practice but I would hate to play from the results.

I'm still in the first set of exercises. I finally figured out where I'm crashing. It's when I try to execute a complex strumming pattern while I change to a C chord. I'm spending a little time every day drilling that chord change and it's getting better. I've started the walk up/down section but I'm going slowly so I don't give myself bad habits.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Default I've asked my teacher to guide me through

I told my teacher to make sure that he guides me through this entire book. So far so good. I've completed exercise 9 with him playing lead. I'll work on Exercise 10 and see how far I get before Thursday. I'm also learning melodies and working on Red Haired Boy this week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write